Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
wow someone is jaded, ND turn you down ? just kidding. don't freak out. Yes they build character, if you think this is a **** school check the stats.

No, actually just the opposite. Once again.....the question of how they build character? We visited the school, so from a former student or a parent of a child attending...please inform me! If your answer includes living in a dorms with rules of when you get up, and go to sleep....scheduled homework times, scheduled meal times, and chores that if go undone there is punishment of more chores. If these are some of them I really want to know.

And as for your comment to dickie that Sask doesn't produce nothing, here are a few things we do produce....more grain, more oil, more potash, better private schools, and way more character and class.(don't freak out).

Last edited:

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
If a parent and player has the ability and both want the experience then go to Notre Dame. If not play AA near home which is not free either about 1500 where I am from which does not include travel to practices or hotels. Again if either parent or player doesn't have ability or desire to play this stay at home and play house league. If they don't want to play hockey pick another sport or activity that keeps them involved. Any of these scenario can build character and produce someone very successful. No one thing guarantees success other than desire, ability and hard work with a little luck thrown in. Everyone should make their own decision based on their own circumstances and it is not wrong to decide on any of these and no should say otherwise, the best for you is not necessarily the best for me

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
If a parent and player has the ability and both want the experience then go to Notre Dame. If not play AA near home which is not free either about 1500 where I am from which does not include travel to practices or hotels. Again if either parent or player doesn't have ability or desire to play this stay at home and play house league. If they don't want to play hockey pick another sport or activity that keeps them involved. Any of these scenario can build character and produce someone very successful. No one thing guarantees success other than desire, ability and hard work with a little luck thrown in. Everyone should make their own decision based on their own circumstances and it is not wrong to decide on any of these and no should say otherwise, the best for you is not necessarily the best for me

You are a very wise person, good post

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
South SBAAHL Predictions - Reposted

Just to give those who asked some info on South Bantam Teams.
I will comment on South as I know more about these teams.
1. Yorkton. Even without Kustra and Foster this will be the team to beat. They have very capable depth in 1999 age group, good goaltending with Geddes, very good on D with Stratechuk and Dubas – Good on forward with Carson Welke, Mackenzie Welke, and Budz plus in 2000 age group their team was the best team in the province last year and two years ago.
2. Weyburn Have eight returnees including forwards Deroose and Kesserling who led their team in scoring about a point a game, and Altwasser. On D they will be strong led by Niemengers and Englot. Also probably the best goalie in the south in Dosch.
3. Prairie Storm Always strong and were very good in Peewee winning Regina league. Also have a strong crop of 2000 players including Piller. Milligan will be missed but returning Tyson and Tanner Manz will be their scorers. Only one returning Dman in Ziegler so they have a question mark here and in goal.
4. Swift Current this team was big, and were much improved in their peewee year so I expect them to be a big team. They will be led by two returning forwards Hutchinson and Stephenson. Jace Dyke was a solid player for them and Hunter Lamb will also come in as a 2000 aged kid.
5. Estevan has four kids returning. They will be led by Dmen Pachal and Martins. On forward they have returning Skjonsby, and Davis. A top 2000 forward Fonstad will provide much needed scoring. In goal Veroba was one of the best in the south his peewee year.
6. Melville has 4 kids returning and will be very good on D with returning Johnson, Sass and Baber. Their problem will be scoring with only returnee being Holloway. And they have a question mark in goal. Top 2000 Rin Beny will help up front.
7. Moose Jaw The loss of Petruic is big for this team as he was counted on to do most of their scoring. They have Bryant and Bisson returning at forward. Douglas is a 2000 aged kid who will be counted on for some scoring. Question marks on D and in goal.
Regina is weak in the 1999 aged year and very strong in the 2000 aged year. A couple of the teams will be strong in goal with Johnson and Lumbard as two top goalies in the south. There were very few 1999 aged kids who made the Regina Bantam AA teams. Beatty and Ludwar on D and McDonlad and Chekay on Forward. That being said dropping down to three teams will help their overall depth. These teams will be in battle for final playoff spots.

Other than Yorkton none of these teams are real strong or as strong as some of the top teams in the South last year. Coaching and development can be a huge equalizer so we will see. Last year it shocked me to see the improvement made in all of the teams in this league and the league was extremely competitive top to bottom. I would expect to see the same thing occur this year and there are sure to be many welcomed surprises.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
I heard there is going to be a prospects game in Warman on September 29 for the 40 top 99 prospects. Does anyone have any more information on this such as is it north vs south. Who are the coaches anybody know some the players who picks players etc?

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Don't think So?? RE Top 40 Sask Prospects Game

Cant see this happening without SHA or SBAAHL sanction and to date have not heard anything!

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
I heard there is going to be a prospects game in Warman on September 29 for the 40 top 99 prospects. Does anyone have any more information on this such as is it north vs south. Who are the coaches anybody know some the players who picks players etc?

Whenever I think about potential organized events like this, one thing immediately comes to mind: scouts are getting lazier and lazier as the years go by.

Let kids play hockey and have fun. If you want them, go to them and find them.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013

One coach I know that is involved is Kevin White from ND Junior A Hounds.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
It is sanctioned by the Sbaahl as they told teams that at their scheduling meeting to leave September 29 open

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Whenever I think about potential organized events like this, one thing immediately comes to mind: scouts are getting lazier and lazier as the years go by.

Let kids play hockey and have fun. If you want them, go to them and find them.

Couldn't agree more. Some scouts could seriously use the exercise too.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
It is sanctioned by the Sbaahl as they told teams that at their scheduling meeting to leave September 29 open

Interesting move. Pray tell what the hell for? The season hasn't started... You want a real test, have an mid season prospects game. North vs south.... Probably a few ego trippers behind this one. Like previous poster said, if some scouts would get motivated and actually track players like they used to it would be more meaningful. Also helpful if they don't sit there off in a dark corner dozey, like a canadian senator, flipping through stat sheets and missing actual game play. Interaction with a prospects parents in the stands is what has always impressed me. Getting to know your prospects and leave the dub insignia jackets at home too. A one and done prospects game is not the way to go. Surprised SHA sanctioned it. What's sask first for then? GSHL had a pee wee all star game I believe too last year....:yo:

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011

Yep do what you feel is best. Go for it, drop 15k or 2k.... AAA or AA or AAAA+, whatever satisfies parents egos. Jam as many A's as possible onto your apparel. In the end one path is no different then another. Let's focus on letting the child dictate for once what they'd be most happy doing. We're talking about a select few that end up making a career of hockey. To those on that path, good for you. Keep at 'er, you'll get there.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Do not disagree with the concept as Manitoba does the same thing in four showcases throughout the year.
What I do disagree with is the timing and the secrecy of this event. How do you willy/nilly decide who are the top prospects without a proper evaluation process unless this evaluation was ongoing during last years season which I doubt.
Should be real interesting how this plays out politically. Has all the makings of a gong show.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Top 40 Bantam Prospects Game Warman

More news filters in on this. The game is a showcase sponsored by SJHL/NCAA and will happen in Warman Sep29. There are supposedly some scouts from NCAA attending and they will be issueing information related to their programs.
Given that ND is involved I would expect most of those kids will be invited as prospects but have no idea who/what/how these prospects are being selected.

Have also heard there are plans for another showcase event that will involve the top ten kids from every team(as selected by team coach) in the SBAAHL. That is alot of kids(aprox 200).

Should be interesting.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
More news filters in on this. The game is a showcase sponsored by SJHL/NCAA and will happen in Warman Sep29. There are supposedly some scouts from NCAA attending and they will be issueing information related to their programs.
Given that ND is involved I would expect most of those kids will be invited as prospects but have no idea who/what/how these prospects are being selected.

Have also heard there are plans for another showcase event that will involve the top ten kids from every team(as selected by team coach) in the SBAAHL. That is alot of kids(aprox 200).

Should be interesting.

Maybe focus on the season first, then invite kids. Seems odd to randomly pick kids that should or should not be there. Going on last years stats would be wrong, look at top 30 99 born point guys last year, are they at that game? Or look at top 10 goalie gaa, 2 that are in the top 10 never played the top teams, do they play? Really not that big of a deal though things usually get sorted out through the year, my opinion is game is meaningful to some, and not so to others.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Agreed

Maybe focus on the season first, then invite kids. Seems odd to randomly pick kids that should or should not be there. Going on last years stats would be wrong, look at top 30 99 born point guys last year, are they at that game? Or look at top 10 goalie gaa, 2 that are in the top 10 never played the top teams, do they play? Really not that big of a deal though things usually get sorted out through the year, my opinion is game is meaningful to some, and not so to others.

Its all about the season and kids need to focus on that.

I think the SJHL sees this as an opportunity to draw kids/parents toward that program as an option in the future. I have no problem with the concept.

I have a problem with the timing and the selection process and as you indicate in the big picture this has very little relevance.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013

Should be interesting.
This sounds like the zone tryouts doesn't it?
I think another event this big would have to scheduled already as the schedule this year is already tight with winter games and zones taking a big chunk out of February and an extra 5 teams will make a lot of games in 4 months.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
This sounds like the zone tryouts doesn't it?
I think another event this big would have to scheduled already as the schedule this year is already tight with winter games and zones taking a big chunk out of February and an extra 5 teams will make a lot of games in 4 months.

Ridiculous

TitanJofaDaoust

Jan 21, 2013
I've often wondered why the SJHL doesn't conduct it's own draft. It would seem to make sense to have a draft after the first year of midget considering that the kids are older in the SJHL. The top drafts from the previous year's bantam draft may be drafted again or the SJHL teams could gamble on other picks. Advantages? Disadvantages?

nosoup

Jun 7, 2011
They do do a silent draft of sorts that isn't publicized, with La ronge and Flin Flon getting two picks each to aid them in recruiting.

An expanded draft would be interesting for sure as they would be trying to pick the best players that they thought might not make the WHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese