Prospect Info: Sasha Mutala (RW), 140th overall

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He had one of the toughest draft eligible years I have ever heard about. I knew his circumstances before his story was published, but anybody that has The Hockey News draft preview read the heartbreaking story about him. His mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and his father suffered a stroke impacting the right side of his body all in one year. Absolutely terrible and that really effected his on-ice product at times. Fortunately the prognosis for both his parents are quite positive.

He was a legit top 62 to 80 pick in preliminarily lists and his inconsistencies made him drop to the 5th. For the people wondering, he is half Korean (on his mom side) and has spent summers in South Korea @JWK @Alex Jones . Think his Dad on the Russian/Mongolian side, but he's going to play for Canada so all of this probably useless information.

I quite like him, he probably tops off as a mid-tier tweener, but I see legit NHL talent in his game. He isn't a powerforward, but he has good size and is quite good at protecting the puck. He has quite a good shot and can also pass the puck. Plays a grindy sort of game that should very much fit in Bednar's system. Reminds me of Alex Killorn/TJ Oshie type of game.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I see a good amount of Matt Calvert in his playstyle. Maybe not so much the trolly chippiness but his motor, speed and drive are similar.

I really hope that his parents can pull through and serve as an inspiration for him and drive him to reach his NHL potential.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He had one of the toughest draft eligible years I have ever heard about. I knew his circumstances before his story was published, but anybody that has The Hockey News draft preview read the heartbreaking story about him. His mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and his father suffered a stroke impacting the right side of his body all in one year. Absolutely terrible and that really effected his on-ice product at times. Fortunately the prognosis for both his parents are quite positive.

He was a legit top 62 to 80 pick in preliminarily lists and his inconsistencies made him drop to the 5th. For the people wondering, he is half Korean (on his mom side) and has spent summers in South Korea @JWK @Alex Jones . Think his Dad on the Russian/Mongolian side, but he's going to play for Canada so all of this probably useless information.

I quite like him, he probably tops off as a mid-tier tweener, but I see legit NHL talent in his game. He isn't a powerforward, but he has good size and is quite good at protecting the puck. He has quite a good shot and can also pass the puck. Plays a grindy sort of game that should very much fit in Bednar's system. Reminds me of Alex Killorn/TJ Oshie type of game.
Thx Seph. Sounds like he could very well have a bounce back year. It's promising. Hope his parents will be OK.

Good value at this spot.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Have a family member who knows him, said he's super humble and a really good guy. Didn't get too much opportunity on Tri-city but I expect him to have a really good D+1 year.

Reactions: S E P H

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
He was a Tri-City Americans star. He’s now taking his talents to the NHL

“Being drafted into the NHL has been a dream of mine since the first day,” said Mutala in an Americans press release afterward. “I can think back to 10 years ago when I would think about this moment. Now that it’s finally here, it has been absolutely amazing. Colorado is an amazing city and organization. I am very excited to be joining an organization with this much young talent.”

This made me chuckle, but I'll give the kid a pass.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
His surname is Finnish. Means Muddy. I think nickname is set. Does he have Finnish ancestors?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

You can see some of the inconsistencies in his game from his shift-by-shift video. I think I want him to lose some weight, get faster, and become more involved because he fell to the 5th round due to being more complementary than involved with the puck.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
With the year he went through personally (both parents sick), I think he could end up being a steal. That had to have negatively affected his play, even if it was just his sleep patterns and energy levels. Now that his parents' health seems to have stabilized he can focus entirely on hockey, and with a clear future path in place I feel optimistic for him.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not that he was amazing at camp, but four point night for Mutala against Everett. We might see a really strong season out of him.

Also Byfield has been a force, on pace for like 100+ goals.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mutala continued his dominant start to the season last night. Posted 2+1 in the Americans 3-1 win and has now been in on 7/8 goals for the Americans so far this season.

Pretty decent start for the kid.

Reactions: klozge

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
With the year he went through personally (both parents sick), I think he could end up being a steal. That had to have negatively affected his play, even if it was just his sleep patterns and energy levels. Now that his parents' health seems to have stabilized he can focus entirely on hockey, and with a clear future path in place I feel optimistic for him.

It 100% affected him, a family member knows him and he's in a way better mental space than last year. It's really easy to forget these players are only 18, it's near impossible to function 100% for anyone dealing with his family issues he had to deal with last year, let alone a 18 year old.

Reactions: klozge and MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad