Saros, Husso the top NHL-drafted goaltenders competing in Finland

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
juuse_saros_finland_080314.jpg
Photo: HPK Hameenlinna goaltender and Nashville Predators prospect Juuse Saros has appeared in 39 international contests for Finland over the past five seasons (courtesy of Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Finland has consistently produced NHL-caliber goalies in recent years. While some were never drafted and signed after establishing themselves in the domestic Liiiga — such as Chicago’s Antti Raanta or Antti Niemi of San Jose — there have also been some high profile draft picks like Tuukka Rask and Pekka Rinne who are enjoying great NHL careers.

Once again in the 2014-15 season, Liiga features players who fit both categories. HPK’s Juuse Saros (NSH) and Ville Husso of HIFK (STL), selected in the 2013 and 2014 drafts respectively, shared the goaltending duties for Finland at the 2015 World Juniors and have excelled in Liiga as teenagers.… read more

The post Saros, Husso the top NHL-drafted goaltenders competing in Finland appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Finland has consistently produced NHL-caliber goalies in recent years. While some were never drafted and signed after establishing themselves in the domestic Liiiga — such as Chicago’s Antti Raanta or Antti Niemi of San Jose — there have also been some high profile draft picks like Tuukka Rask and Pekka Rinne who are enjoying great NHL careers.

8th round, 258th overall. Now that is high profile.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
If Husso was this good, why wasn't he taken higher in the draft? He had pretty good statistics prior to being selected, so to me its not like he broke out this year.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
If Husso was this good, why wasn't he taken higher in the draft? He had pretty good statistics prior to being selected, so to me its not like he broke out this year.

All the better for the Blues. That's how we build a consistent contender, high reward, later round picks. He looks to be a good one, let's hope he pans out, he's got some serious hurdles to jump in Elliott, Allen and Binnington.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

He's an 18 year old goalie. It's incredibly difficult to project how they'll do at the next level. I am a subscriber to the P9s philosophy that anything a goalie does before the NHL is meaningless. Nice for him to play well in Europe(certainly better than him getting shelled) but it's nothing to get too worked up about.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He was ranked as the #1 Euro goalie by NHL CSS in April. I expect that he dropped some out of fear that he might never be lured to play in the NHL, much like the much maligned "Russian Factor" that we benefitted from with Tarasenko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad