Sarnia Sting 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
World Juniors to start on Christmas. Mattering how many guys are allowed to be invited I'd expect Rees & Perreault to be invited.

Hjorth maybe on Sweden depending on how he's playing overseas. Geci possibly, too.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
Rumour has it the start date for the league is going to be pushed back a month to match the NHL and WHL. So with a January start I wonder how much this changes the key dates and the length of the season in general.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Tough read on Mitch Miller. Yikes.

Sarnia drafted him in the 4th round a year after this happened. Either they didn't do the research to find out about the kid or decided he's a good enough player to look past it

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Sarnia drafted him in the 4th round a year after this happened. Either they didn't do the research to find out about the kid or decided he's a good enough player to look past it
Idk I’d probably draft a kid if he was a good talent and give him the opportunity to change. He was like 14-15 when this happened. Terrible thing to do but he was a kid and people can change especially if mentored well and learn from their childish mistakes.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016

He's an American kid that never had any intention to play in the CHL...Sarnia took a flyer pick on him like they do every single year with at least one of their 4th-6th round picks. No one condones that type of behavior but we all did dumb sh*t when we were 14. Believe it or not, people grow up and change as they get older.

Reactions: The Howler

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
He's an American kid that never had any intention to play in the CHL...Sarnia took a flyer pick on him like they do every single year with at least one of their 4th-6th round picks. No one condones that type of behavior but we all did dumb sh*t when we were 14. Believe it or not, people grow up and change as they get older.
Skipping class or egging someone’s house is “dumb shit”. Beating the shit out of a mentally challenged kid in front of everyone, calling him the n-word, forcing him to eat a lollipop you’ve put in a used urinal, etc. is far beyond that.

And yeah for sure people can change and grow as they get older. Or they can stay the same. Miller sent a letter apologizing to all 30 NHL teams so he’d get drafted. He never sent one to the kid he did it to, or apologized in person.

But based on your comments you seem to be in the group that SAR knew about this but just didn’t care? That’d crazy. Especially to do that on a kid who you say had never intention of coming? And the 4th round isn’t late in the draft so that’s not a throw away pick. He was taken in the same round as Cole Schwindt, Joe Carroll, Isaak Phillips, Liam Ross. Certainly not a throw away pick.

Last edited:

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Skipping class or egging someone’s house is “dumb shit”. Beating the shit out of a mentally challenged kid in front of everyone, calling him the n-word, forcing him to eat a lollipop you’ve put in a used urinal, etc. is far beyond that.

And yeah for sure people can change and grow as they get older. Or they can stay the same. Miller sent a letter apologizing to all 30 NHL teams so he’d get drafted. He never sent one to the kid he did it to, or apologized in person.

But based on your comments you seem to be in the group that SAR knew about this but just didn’t care? That’d crazy. Especially to do that on a kid who you say had never intention of coming? And the 4th round isn’t late in the draft so that’s not a throw away pick. He was taken in the same round as Cole Schwindt, Joe Carroll, Isaak Phillips, Liam Ross. Certainly not a throw away pick.

I really hope they just didn't know about this. What Miller did was terrible and the fact that he hasn't apologized to the kid he bullied is even worse!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Wow only 4 teams per conference?? People were saying before they wanted to do division only games, too. If that's the case we might get screwed. West division on paper is stacked while the midwest is pretty bad.

Soo, Windsor, Sarnia, Saginaw legitimately might be better than every team in the midwest (on paper)

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX

Wow only 4 teams per conference?? People were saying before they wanted to do division only games, too. If that's the case we might get screwed. West division on paper is stacked while the midwest is pretty bad.

Soo, Windsor, Sarnia, Saginaw legitimately might be better than every team in the midwest (on paper)

If the quarantine is still in effect in the New Year the league may have to have a 3 team American division . I would imagine a lot of what will happen is still up in the air and will be dictated by government policies .

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Perreault doesn’t get an invitation to team Canada camp.... they really do not like him. Anyways good luck to Rees I hope he makes it as a third or 4th line guy.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

Official OHL release on the return to play. Sounds like they'll be some divisional realignment coming by the wording of the article.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Perreault doesn’t get an invitation to team Canada camp.... they really do not like him. Anyways good luck to Rees I hope he makes it as a third or 4th line guy.

I hope he uses it as motivation and goes out and scores 30 goals in 40 games for the Sting this season.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016

I wonder if Perreault living in the states during this whole pandemic has anything to do with it? Looking at the roster, there are a few names I'd put behind him for sure.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I wonder if Perreault living in the states during this whole pandemic has anything to do with it? Looking at the roster, there are a few names I'd put behind him for sure.
World juniors remains a tournament for 19 year olds. Kids at 18 or less are usually passed over unless they’re top 5 or better draft picks.
Perreault was the worst +/- on the Sting last year and that stat alone would keep him off the world team.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
World juniors remains a tournament for 19 year olds. Kids at 18 or less are usually passed over unless they’re top 5 or better draft picks.
Perreault was the worst +/- on the Sting last year and that stat alone would keep him off the world team.
There was a couple guys drafted later than him in this years draft that were invited. I wouldn’t let the plus/minus stat keep me from atleast inviting him. He’s the perfect guy you bring as a 13th forward and use on the powerplay for that unreal shot and one timer to snipe. Plus if someone gets hurt he can play 4th line. Just like the states did a year ago with Arthur kaliyev. Also he spent all summer going over video with his dad focusing on getting better defensively and without the puck. He knows that’s his downfall and is working on it. I’m not saying he should be on the team but he should be at camp.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Clearly there's more going on. He didn't make the U18 team & everyone was stunned. It made no sense. Then he gets named to the summer showcase team but not the official roster? What changed in 2 months where no one is playing?

Bunch of BS. Would've scored 40 goals as a 17 yr old. Not many do that.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Clearly there's more going on. He didn't make the U18 team & everyone was stunned. It made no sense. Then he gets named to the summer showcase team but not the official roster? What changed in 2 months where no one is playing?

Bunch of BS. Would've scored 40 goals as a 17 yr old. Not many do that.

People in the last 5 seasons who scored 40 or more goals as a U18 player:
15-16: None
16-17: Jason Robertson, Nick Suzuki, and Owen Tippett
17-18: Andrei Svechnikov
18-19: Arthur Kaliyev
19-20: Cole Perfetti and Shane Wright (On pace to score 40)

Robertson wasn't invited to the US selection camp the next year, Suzuki made the selection camp roster but not the team the next year, Tippett didn't make the selection camp the next year, Svechnikov made the Russian team in the 17-18 season, Kaliyev made the American team the next year, Perfetti made the selection camp roster last season and this season and is likely going to make the Canadian team, and Wright made the selection camp roster this season and has a chance to make the team.

Really hard to believe that they wouldn't invite Perreault this year but they've done it before with Tippett.

Reactions: robp1219
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->