Sarnia Sting 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Talked to some people who have seen him who say similar to Ruzicka in alot of ways but just a notch better at just about everything at this age. Really excited about this pick.

I'd assume a 3 yr player for us. Some really really exciting forward talent we possess now in the '03/'04 age years.

Geci, Namestnikov, Dann, Voit, Filak, O'Donnell, McIntyre. Like the mixture of size, skill & style of these guys have.

To go along with Mast, Eveleigh & Hopefully Morden on Defense. Obviously have Gaudreau who will only keep getting better.
Just from watching the highlights, I would say basically just his height and shot are similar. Looks like he has better hands, looks more engaged and hungry and his skating looks like it’s on a completely different level than ruzicka’s.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
What do you think the roster will look like next season?

roth Rees Guy
voit Geci Perreault
Bitten Hill Namestnikov
Dann Filak Degurse
Saye O’Donnell
(A.P) Mcyntire

reesor Stratis
Supryka Hjorth
Nolet Mast
Dillingham Nagra

gaudreau
Langevin

Reactions: hellwar9

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

roth Rees Guy
voit Geci Perreault
Bitten Hill Namestnikov
Dann Filak Degurse
Saye O’Donnell
(A.P) Mcyntire

reesor Stratis
Supryka Hjorth
Nolet Mast
Dillingham Nagra

gaudreau
Langevin
I'd say your about right. Personally have Nolet in the top-4 but everything else I'd have the same.

Really deep roster. If Namestikov can make an immediate impact & Dann is what we hope are bottom-6 is gonna be really tough to handle.

Overall tho what a fun roster this should be. Ton of speed & skill. Defense should be much better i think. Reesor/Stratis full yr, Supryka addition, 2nd year for Mast/Nolet/Hjorth.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Geci being an '03 makes are timeline even more confusing lol. No idea what we will do. Everything may ride on Gaudreau's development.

I see both sides. Really hard to pass on this upcoming team especially with it being the last year for Rees along with Hjorth/3 OAs & 3 of Reesor/Nolet/Supryka/Guy/Langevin/DeGurse.

But we would be relying alot on 1st or 2nd year guys in Gaudreau, Voit, Mast, Geci, Namestnikov, Dann, Filak & we dont have a ton of assets to trade come deadline.

Last edited:

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I'd say your about right. Personally have Nolet in the top-4 but everything else I'd have the same.

Really deep roster. If Namestikov can make an immediate impact & Dann is what we hope are bottom-6 is gonna be really tough to handle.

Overall tho what a fun roster this should be. Ton of speed & skill. Defense should be much better i think. Reesor/Stratis full yr, Supryka addition, 2nd year for Mast/Nolet/Hjorth.
Ya nolet is good, but I think you could legit roll all 3 pairs. I’m excited to see a full year of reesor just a stud back there. And yes speed and skill on every line. Which is good. Few big dman and a few good skating dman. Excited to see hjorth this year after he admitted he needed to get faster and better at skating, so you know he’s working hard on that.

Reactions: StingUpdates

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Geci being an '03 makes are timeline even more confusing lol. No idea what we will do. Everything may ride on Gaudreau's development.

I see both sides. Really hard to pass on this upcoming team especially with it being the last year for Rees along with Hjorth/3 OAs & 3 of Reesor/Nolet/Supryka/Guy/Langevin/DeGurse.

But we would be relying alot on 1st or 2nd year guys in Gaudreau, Voit, Mast, Geci, Namestnikov, Dann, Filak & we dont have a ton of assets to trade come deadline.
This is definitely a team that will be good this year and the following year, maybe add 1 peice at the deadline if things are looking good then, and if they aren’t looking good trade rees and try to trade hjorth.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I wonder if Hatcher will be better on the bench with his son gone. He won’t be putting him out all the time and hopefully he starts playing the best players, putting more time into coaching and doing what’s best for developing and the team.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I wonder if Hatcher will be better on the bench with his son gone. He won’t be putting him out all the time and hopefully he starts playing the best players, putting more time into coaching and doing what’s best for developing and the team.

Speaking of terrible blue liners,that should be the next thing this team deals with.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Ya agree again with your points. I think that'll be the best trait of this team. Wave after wave, line after line they can do damage on F & D. 4 Solid F lines & 3 Solid D Pairings & 2 good goalies.

Hjorth got unfair criticism all yr for me. 1st yr in NA, missed the whole season previous due to an injury. He was doing quite well (20 PTS in 29 games) pre Christmas. Then for some reason he got taken off PP1 & he lost all his confidence & crumbled.

I'm confident he could have 15G, 40 + Points next season. Has an unreal shot & can pass well. Some improvements to his skating & DZone play will do wonders.

We can only hope Hatcher will adapt to some sort of new style & be willing to teach them.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Scouting report on Geci.

"A strong center with good size, soft hands, and a deadly wrist shot, Geci was one of the better 2003-born forwards in Slovakia’s Extraliga Juniors but moved on to Finland to play for the Junior B team for Luuko Rauma. He can be classified as a two-way type for the way he battles hard in the defensive end and kills penalties, but Geci also is a dangerous shooter with a lightning-quick release who can score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone. He is a good skater albeit not an explosive one, although Geci more than makes up for it with his high compete level and motor."

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

Scouting report on Geci.

"A strong center with good size, soft hands, and a deadly wrist shot, Geci was one of the better 2003-born forwards in Slovakia’s Extraliga Juniors but moved on to Finland to play for the Junior B team for Luuko Rauma. He can be classified as a two-way type for the way he battles hard in the defensive end and kills penalties, but Geci also is a dangerous shooter with a lightning-quick release who can score from just about anywhere in the offensive zone. He is a good skater albeit not an explosive one, although Geci more than makes up for it with his high compete level and motor."

Sounds like an awesome player, plays smart and hard in all 3 zones. Kills penalties. Battles hard for lose pucks. Has size, speed ,good hands and a great shot... what more can you ask for?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Sounds like an awesome player, plays smart and hard in all 3 zones. Kills penalties. Battles hard for lose pucks. Has size, speed ,good hands and a great shot... what more can you ask for?
I think I saw three games of his in the Finnish U18 league and a couple with U national teams this season. He definitely flashed high-end abilities but often left me wanting more. I think he might need some time. I'm no scout, though, so don't trust my assessment too much haha.

Looked like a very good two-way centre to me. Very good shot and smart around the net. Kind of lacked one-on-one puck skills, though. Even at the U18 level, he didn't seem able to beat defenders one-on-one. Maybe that comes with time. He's an intriguing player, though, and I think at the very least he'll be a strong 3C.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I think I saw three games of his in the Finnish U18 league and a couple with U national teams this season. He definitely flashed high-end abilities but often left me wanting more. I think he might need some time. I'm no scout, though, so don't trust my assessment too much haha.

Looked like a very good two-way centre to me. Very good shot and smart around the net. Kind of lacked one-on-one puck skills, though. Even at the U18 level, he didn't seem able to beat defenders one-on-one. Maybe that comes with time. He's an intriguing player, though, and I think at the very least he'll be a strong 3C.
Seems to be a common theme with alot of euros honestly. Can utterly dominate at times but other times they don't do much.

Usually comes with age. He will have a chance right out the gate two play in the T6 & for it being his draft yr that would be big.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Not sure if I'm a fan of such high expectations for a 16 year old but he seems confident. Hopefully it works out well and the fans don't jump on him if he doesn't perform in the top 6.

I think high expectations automatically come with being selected in the import draft. It's like there's a "requirement" that all imports should be able to step into the line up and contribute right away. I think a lot of people view it as getting the chance to add another top end player like you would in the first or second round of the OHL draft. Many picks also include 17/18 yr olds so that raises the expectations a bit more.

But i agree, our realistic expectations for Geci should be that of a Ty Voit going into this season.

Reactions: robp1219

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I'm hoping for a 20 Goal, 40-50 Point season out of Geci. Turns 17 before season starts & is expected to be a NHL draft pick.

Should also have a shot to play in the T6 with guys like Perreault, Voit, Roth. Get some PP time, too.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I'm hoping for a 20 Goal, 40-50 Point season out of Geci. Turns 17 before season starts & is expected to be a NHL draft pick.

Should also have a shot to play in the T6 with guys like Perreault, Voit, Roth. Get some PP time, too.

Perreault on the left side and Geci on the right side...both absolute cannons for shots. Could be a lethal PP.

We really should have 2 great PP units.

Perreault - Rees - Geci
Hjorth - Nolet

Roth - Namestnikov - Voit
Supryka - Mast

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Perreault on the left side and Geci on the right side...both absolute cannons for shots. Could be a lethal PP.

We really should have 2 great PP units.

Perreault - Rees - Geci
Hjorth - Nolet

Roth - Namestnikov - Voit
Supryka - Mast
The depth of the team should honestly be there best trait. They could honestly overload PP1 with Rees, Voit, Perreault, Hjorth & Geci.

Actually so stoked for the upcoming season. We have such a fun group of Fs now + Gaudreau in net. If anything else the team will be fun as hell to watch.

Reactions: robp1219

Tone

Jan 28, 2019
W

roth Rees Guy
voit Geci Perreault
Bitten Hill Namestnikov
Dann Filak Degurse
Saye O’Donnell
(A.P) Mcyntire

reesor Stratis
Supryka Hjorth
Nolet Mast
Dillingham Nagra

gaudreau
Langevin
Would appear we are a little heavy on forwards. What are your thoughts for the following players. Hill, DeGurse,Dann,O’Donnell,Saye and Burke.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
W

Would appear we are a little heavy on forwards. What are your thoughts for the following players. Hill, DeGurse,Dann,O’Donnell,Saye and Burke.
If I was Seca I’d probably try and move burke for a late round pick because dann is fast and skilled and I think he’s got a decent ohl career ahead of him, I’d keep Degurse as an older player To provide a vet presence with skill and speed in the bottom 6, although hasn’t played much in the league he’s still an older guy and absolutely dominated junior b last year and looked quite good when he was up with the big club. I’d keep O’Donnell, I think him and burke are very similar but OD is younger and might have abit more talent. And saye I’d try to keep as a guy who rotates in and out of the lineup that gives you that edge and energy, throws the big hits and will drop the gloves. Hill I believe belongs on the third line. So fast and decent size, I think if he gets to play with a kid like Namestnikov who brings a tone of skill and speed and a physical vet like bitten that he could have a breakout season and that line could be a good line.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Definitely would keep Hill & O'Donnell. I think Hill has some breakout potential. Unfortunately for him with are depth he may be on L4.

O'Donnell reminds me a young McGregor. Reliable 2Way who shows flashes offensively but takes a few yrs to put it all together.

Burke unfortunately hasn't progressed alot. Saye is a useful 13th F who can come in & bring energy.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Nice to see Jacob acknowledge his poor defensive play last season. Sure sounds like he is making a point of improving it going into next season.

He has such elite speed that he should always be moving around the ice. If he can add that element he will be so damn good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->