Sarnia Sting 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Sarnia isn't screwing London or anyone else over.The bottom feeder (at the time) gets first crack at the waiver wire.London has to wait their turn.Just like Flint got first drack at Vladislav Kolyachonok when London put him on waivers last year.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Sarnia isn't screwing London or anyone else over.The bottom feeder (at the time) gets first crack at the waiver wire.London has to wait their turn.Just like Flint got first drack at Vladislav Kolyachonok when London put him on waivers last year.
And in my opinion, London kinda got screwed on that one. Now it’s Boqvist thrust upon them for one year, versus Koly for 3 years. I believe Flint gets more long term value there.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
And in my opinion, London kinda got screwed on that one. Now it’s Boqvist thrust upon them for one year, versus Koly for 3 years. I believe Flint gets more long term value there.
didnt London make the choice to let koly walk?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Nobody forced London to take Boqvist back. That was a choice that they had to make.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think in order to maintain relationships with Chicago, they pretty much had to do what they did.

They certainly could have traded Boqvist and stayed in Chicago's good graces. Other teams have a long history of development with them.

They also could have let go of Guskov. Nobody was forced into a choice.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Sometimes it isn’t always about the pick. It’s about giving the kid a place to play instead of sitting in the stands. I’m sure they tried to get the best they could but Martin was not a desirable OA compared to others who are on the market.
Obviously this was the best offer out there at this juncture and with the new OA pickup Sinclair had to clear some room .
This suggests to me that the Sting are likely to give Myskew a good look before they make the next move because the trading of Martin immediately after is too coincidental.
I agree with the idea that probably the best move the Sting could make would be to keep Myskew and to deal an OA and both of last years goalies for the best possible return .
The coach’s son is the obvious OA candidate to be moved but I would be really surprised if that happened .

Reactions: Ferda11

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Obviously this was the best offer out there at this juncture and with the new OA pickup Sinclair had to clear some room .
This suggests to me that the Sting are likely to give Myskew a good look before they make the next move because the trading of Martin immediately after is too coincidental.
I agree with the idea that probably the best move the Sting could make would be to keep Myskew and to deal an OA and both of last years goalies for the best possible return .
The coach’s son is the obvious OA candidate to be moved but I would be really surprised if that happened .
I dont see it that way. Say the master plan is to trade Langevin, Lamour & an OA to keep Myskiw then we are screwed next season. We only have Gaudreau, no backup. We'd have to waste assets to go get one when we have one in Langevin already.

I also don't buy this is for when Gaudreau leaves. We just played a month with no backup & they did nothing so one week shouldn't be a big deal at all. Not to mention we only play 4 games in the 9 days Gaudreau will be gone.

Reactions: dansk55

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas
It's more of a big middle finger to London lol. Like if u want him then you'll give us something for him.

I like it because it's London but Hunter must be pretty pissed off at Sinclair lol.

No middle finger, nobody pissed off. This is the way it works. No different than 2015/16 when London wanted Brendan Burke. He was cut by Calgary Hitmen so London knowing he would never fall to where London could claim him arranged for Guelph to claim him then worked out a trade. Don't think he ever played a game for Guelph. Win/win.

Veteran Brendan Burke embracing his last chance for a Memorial Cup

Burke, the son of former NHL goalie Sean Burke, was cut by the Calgary Hitmen and picked up by the Guelph Storm before London acquired his rights through a trade.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
No middle finger, nobody pissed off. This is the way it works. No different than 2015/16 when London wanted Brendan Burke. He was cut by Calgary Hitmen so London knowing he would never fall to where London could claim him arranged for Guelph to claim him then worked out a trade. Don't think he ever played a game for Guelph. Win/win.

Veteran Brendan Burke embracing his last chance for a Memorial Cup

Burke, the son of former NHL goalie Sean Burke, was cut by the Calgary Hitmen and picked up by the Guelph Storm before London acquired his rights through a trade.
Wow very Similar. Nice find! Any idea what the pick was ?

Nevermind it was a 2016 6th round pick. If Sarnia can get that I'd be pretty pleased

Last edited:

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
I dont see it that way. Say the master plan is to trade Langevin, Lamour & an OA to keep Myskiw then we are screwed next season. We only have Gaudreau, no backup. We'd have to waste assets to go get one when we have one in Langevin already.

I also don't buy this is for when Gaudreau leaves. We just played a month with no backup & they did nothing so one week shouldn't be a big deal at all. Not to mention we only play 4 games in the 9 days Gaudreau will be gone.

The Sting should be able to collect a nice posse of assets to draw from if they traded 3 players this year . Backup goalies aren’t typically aren’t too expensive so they would likely have a big excess of assets even if they had to trade one to get the backup .
Keeping Myskew makes a lot of sense to me but I doubt it happens .

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
The Sting should be able to collect a nice posse of assets to draw from if they traded 3 players this year . Backup goalies aren’t typically aren’t too expensive so they would likely have a big excess of assets even if they had to trade one to get the backup .
Keeping Myskew makes a lot of sense to me but I doubt it happens .
Makes zero sense to keep him, keep langevin to play with gaudreau, that’s a good duo, Myskew was playing behind a stacked Edmonton team last year as a 19 year old goalie, he might get lit up behind our poor defence.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I don’t see the point in getting rid of a goalie that will be here for atleast another season and a half to get a goalie that will play the rest of this season and that’s it then trade picks to get another goalie next year to replace him, especially after his team released him and nobody in the whl picked him up

Reactions: Maddangler

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don’t see the point in getting rid of a goalie that will be here for atleast another season and a half to get a goalie that will play the rest of this season and that’s it then trade picks to get another goalie next year to replace him, especially after his team released him and nobody in the whl picked him up
As has already been discussed on one of these boards, the WHL had a plethora of good goalies this season. The OHL, on the other hand, looks to be weaker at that position than it has been in years past. Sometimes a team is just ready to move on from a goalie, even though other teams are willing to give them a longer leash (see Garrett Sparks). Perhaps the Sting feel that they could get good return from Langevin from another team (Sudbury?/London?). Perhaps after 8GP, 5.89GAA, .837 SV% they are willing to give someone else a try.

Reactions: jwalk

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
As has already been discussed on one of these boards, the WHL had a plethora of good goalies this season. The OHL, on the other hand, looks to be weaker at that position than it has been in years past. Sometimes a team is just ready to move on from a goalie, even though other teams are willing to give them a longer leash (see Garrett Sparks). Perhaps the Sting feel that they could get good return from Langevin from another team (Sudbury?/London?). Perhaps after 8GP, 5.89GAA, .837 SV% they are willing to give someone else a try.

The problem with that part right there is that the team defense has been SOOOOOOO BAD that I really don't know if there is a goalie in the league that would changes those numbers a whole lot. I really don't think Langevin should be judged off those numbers considering how awful the team in front of him was through the first 7 games.

Reactions: robp1219

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018

The problem with that part right there is that the team defense has been SOOOOOOO BAD that I really don't know if there is a goalie in the league that would changes those numbers a whole lot. I really don't think Langevin should be judged off those numbers considering how awful the team in front of him was through the first 7 games.

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. With the team fighting through so many injuries and a suspension to start the season it's been entirely on his head. He's arguably had 2 of his best games this year against two of the strongest teams in the league (Peterborough and Oshawa). I'll gladly give the lad some more leash for that spirit. I'm sold on him and Gaudreau as our goalies for the next 2-3 years. I'm praying we can flip Myskew to a contender for a d.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Maybe they should just not be terrible in their own end give the goalies some help instead of letting them face 40-50 shots per night then they won’t have to make trades at all, kinda dumb to have an OA goalie in a year where you aren’t a contender then be left with only a 17 year old goalie to play next year and have to go look for a ohl quality goalie to play with him

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. With the team fighting through so many injuries and a suspension to start the season it's been entirely on his head. He's arguably had 2 of his best games this year against two of the strongest teams in the league (Peterborough and Oshawa). I'll gladly give the lad some more leash for that spirit. I'm sold on him and Gaudreau as our goalies for the next 2-3 years. I'm praying we can flip Myskew to a contender for a d.
Smart man !

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Makes zero sense to keep him, keep langevin to play with gaudreau, that’s a good duo, Myskew was playing behind a stacked Edmonton team last year as a 19 year old goalie, he might get lit up behind our poor defence.

Upgrading to a goalie who posted a .914 save percentage a 2.53 GAA last year makes "Zero Sense "?
.Hmmmm. Under any circumstances those are excellent numbers for a junior goalie. No disrespect to Langevin who has had to play under tough circumstances but it might be worthwhile giving Myskew a shot IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbygore

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I'm sold on him and Gaudreau as our goalies for the next 2-3 years.
You think Langevin wants to play backup to Gaudreau for 2-3 years after being the guy last season? Same thing happened in the Soo a few years ago when Villalta won the starters role from 18 year old Raaymakers. 19 year old Raaymakers didn't even report to camp the next year until he was traded to London.

Regardless of whether Sarnia keeps or trades Myskiw now, they probably need to address a backup goaltending hole next season, one way or the other.

Edit: fixed spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferda11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
You think Langevin wants to play backup to Gaudreau for 2-3 years after being the guy last season? Same thing happened in the Soo a few years ago when Villalta won the starters role from 18 year old Raymaakers. 19 year old Raymaakers didn't even report to camp the next year until he was traded to London.

Regardless of whether Sarnia keeps or trades Myskiw now, they probably need to address a backup goaltending hole next season, one way or the other.

Very solid point. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. So many different scenarios can come to fruition here.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Upgrading to a goalie who posted a .914 save percentage a 2.53 GAA last year makes "Zero Sense " . Hmmmm. Under any circumstances those are excellent numbers for a junior goalie. No disrespect to Langevin who has had to play under tough circumstances but it might be worthwhile giving Myskew a shot IMO.

I would definitely give him a few games to see what he could do . That would make a lot of sense to me .

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I h
Upgrading to a goalie who posted a .914 save percentage a 2.53 GAA last year makes "Zero Sense "?
.Hmmmm. Under any circumstances those are excellent numbers for a junior goalie. No disrespect to Langevin who has had to play under tough circumstances but it might be worthwhile giving Myskew a shot IMO.
I hear yuh it’s an upgrade, but what’s the point of the upgrade if we aren’t going to win this year? Myskiw is gone next year and we are left with 1 goalie in a year we will probably be a contender, I think having a good tandem is crucial incase of injury, gaudreau has already been hurt this season could happen again next year

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I h
I hear yuh it’s an upgrade, but what’s the point of the upgrade if we aren’t going to win this year? Myskiw is gone next year and we are left with 1 goalie in a year we will probably be a contender, I think having a good tandem is crucial incase of injury, gaudreau has already been hurt this season could happen again next year

Be careful what you say about not winning this year. Hatcher/Sinclair have made it very clear that this team is done with the major sell offs/rebuilds. IMO if the new goalie sticks around, Hatcher trades his son and upgrades to a puck moving D man, then suddenly Sarnia becomes a contender. I say this because not one team in the west this year is "scary". Sarnia isn't far off.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Be careful what you say about not winning this year. Hatcher/Sinclair have made it very clear that this team is done with the major sell offs/rebuilds. IMO if the new goalie sticks around, Hatcher trades his son and upgrades to a puck moving D man, then suddenly Sarnia becomes a contender. I say this because not one team in the west this year is "scary". Sarnia isn't far off.
Let's not get to ahead of are selfs here.. The team still has 17 players under the age of 19. The defense is more than one move away from being a contender not to mention offensively we've had one good weekend. Let's see it over 4 & 5 weeks.

It's a next year team case & point Sinclair adding two legitimate 19 year olds already in Bitten & Roth. If we hold onto McGregor & Josling i will look at this season like a complete failure.

We need to recoup certain picks so that when we do go for it (hopefully next season) we have the ammunition to strike big deals to put us over the top. We botched it with Spinozzi/King & last year with McGregor/Josling/Eliot. We held onto guys that would have fetched 2nds or 3rd or even young players for no reason & get swept in round 1 just to lose those guys for nothing. When you aren't going anywhere you sell. It's what the best run franchises do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad