Sarnia Sting 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I wonder if the hunter brothers ever asked to buy the sting off the ciccarellis. Could of continued To have them coaching the sting. Beyond the 2000 season and to this day.
You never know for sure all situations are different? The arena and money in London has allowed them to invest heavily in scouting and schooling etc. In London it may not have worked out the same way in Sarnia?

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
You never know for sure all situations are different? The arena and money in London has allowed them to invest heavily in scouting and schooling etc. In London it may not have worked out the same way in Sarnia?
Definitely agree, London was a diamond in the rough that the Hunters discovered. The market was there they just needed competent people to do it right.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
honestly, Sarnia has been the worst run organization in the OHL. If the fans are still here after 20 years of patheticness .... they will still be around for 1 year of tanking. The change this summer that Sarnia needs is the coach to step down.
Before this season i would have disagreed big time. It seemed like we were on the upswing in terms of being a solid org with the on ice product & off ice improvements.

But this season has been an absolute disaster.. We started the year with 3 goalies (2 being hurt) & then added Kooy to make it 4 goalies which was ridiculous..

On D it blows my mind how they think it's a good idea to run with 9 Dmen... It's so unnecessary & makes it incredibly hard to find any sort of confidence when u sit once or twice a weekend..

Up front it hasn't been bad but trading Tabak still boggles my mind especially with Rees' unpredictability at staying in the lineup.. Having Voit as a 4th liner/healthy scratch until January was ridiculous & we see how good he is with good linemates.

Don't even get me started on Berka. One of the worst handled players in Sting history. You can't tell me he wasn't more useful than Guy/Saye/Mack/Burke/O'Donnell & even Voit.. we desperately miss his speed in are B6 along with Tabak's size.

To finish off i honestly have never seen a team look more lost in so many areas than this team. That is 100% on the coaches. Defensively in every aspect (5on5/PK/4on4/3on3) we look completely lost. At times we look like a team that's never played together before. 0 flow, 0 awareness, 0 communication.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Before this season i would have disagreed big time. It seemed like we were on the upswing in terms of being a solid org with the on ice product & off ice improvements.

But this season has been an absolute disaster.. We started the year with 3 goalies (2 being hurt) & then added Kooy to make it 4 goalies which was ridiculous..

On D it blows my mind how they think it's a good idea to run with 9 Dmen... It's so unnecessary & makes it incredibly hard to find any sort of confidence when u sit once or twice a weekend..

Up front it hasn't been bad but trading Tabak still boggles my mind especially with Rees' unpredictability at staying in the lineup.. Having Voit as a 4th liner/healthy scratch until January was ridiculous & we see how good he is with good linemates.

Don't even get me started on Berka. One of the worst handled players in Sting history. You can't tell me he wasn't more useful than Guy/Saye/Mack/Burke/O'Donnell & even Voit.. we desperately miss his speed in are B6 along with Tabak's size.

To finish off i honestly have never seen a team look more lost in so many areas than this team. That is 100% on the coaches. Defensively in every aspect (5on5/PK/4on4/3on3) we look completely lost. At times we look like a team that's never played together before. 0 flow, 0 awareness, 0 communication.
All that being said.... what evidence is there that were going to be good next year.... I don't see any. But thats me

Reactions: Jay86

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
All that being said.... what evidence is there that were going to be good next year.... I don't see any. But thats me
On paper i think we will be a solid team. Now going into this year i also thought we'd he a decent team at least but i think we all agree most of it is on the coaching.

Looking ahead on Forward:
All the Fs will be back except Josling, McGregor & Mack. Expect massive seasons from Rees (90+ Pts), Perreault (45+ Goals) & Roth (Full yr W/Rees 35+ Goals) & hopefully steps forward from almost everyone else, Especially Guy, Hill, Burke)

Add in top-3 OHL pick & a top-5 import pick. Picking that high i hope the import can come in & be a real point producer. Be a bonus if he is a Centre that could play between Voit & Perreault & almost be a line 1B type thing behind Rees&Roth.. for the OHL pick hopefully he can make an impact right away but some times it takes them a bit to adjust.

On D everyone is back except Hatcher & Jakovljevic who let's be honest aren't great. Like Forward hopefully Kammerer/Dillingham take a step forward, Hjorth/Nolet to me could be 2 really solid offensive dmen & hopefully Reesor returns & can be an anchor for us + what type of step does Mast take after a solid rookie season. Stratis also back as OA who I've liked since coming over.

In net is where I'm most confident. I don't expect Langevin to be elite but entering his 3rd season i expect more consistency & he has shown this year he can be a solid goalie. Big question is how big (or small) of a jump does Gaudreau take? In their 2nd seasons DiPietro, McNiven, Parsons, Blackwood all took big steps forward becoming their teams starter. If he followed there footsteps that would be huge for us.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
On paper i think we will be a solid team. Now going into this year i also thought we'd he a decent team at least but i think we all agree most of it is on the coaching.

Looking ahead on Forward:
All the Fs will be back except Josling, McGregor & Mack. Expect massive seasons from Rees (90+ Pts), Perreault (45+ Goals) & Roth (Full yr W/Rees 35+ Goals) & hopefully steps forward from almost everyone else, Especially Guy, Hill, Burke)

Add in top-3 OHL pick & a top-5 import pick. Picking that high i hope the import can come in & be a real point producer. Be a bonus if he is a Centre that could play between Voit & Perreault & almost be a line 1B type thing behind Rees&Roth.. for the OHL pick hopefully he can make an impact right away but some times it takes them a bit to adjust.

On D everyone is back except Hatcher & Jakovljevic who let's be honest aren't great. Like Forward hopefully Kammerer/Dillingham take a step forward, Hjorth/Nolet to me could be 2 really solid offensive dmen & hopefully Reesor returns & can be an anchor for us + what type of step does Mast take after a solid rookie season. Stratis also back as OA who I've liked since coming over.

In net is where I'm most confident. I don't expect Langevin to be elite but entering his 3rd season i expect more consistency & he has shown this year he can be a solid goalie. Big question is how big (or small) of a jump does Gaudreau take? In their 2nd seasons DiPietro, McNiven, Parsons, Blackwood all took big steps forward becoming their teams starter. If he followed there footsteps that would be huge for us.
Way to early prediction on lines:
Bitten-Rees-Roth
Voit-Import-Perreault
Guy-Hill-1st Rounder
Dann-Burke-O'Donnell

Stratis-Nolet
Hjorth-Reesor
Kammerer-Mast
X: Dillingham

Gaudreau
Langevin

I honestly dont think it's far off from being a great team. They could use another high-end F, another 3rd line F & depending on the steps Hjorth/Nolet take potentially a high-end Dman.

This all rides on coaching obviously. With the right system in place i like the team & what it could be. If its the same coaching staff then we are screwed before it even starts.

Reactions: davewheeler

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
new slogan... wait til next year... i am probably not around to see it. can only take so much futility. IMO there has to be a better OA than Roth. rather disappointed he has not been a leader when needed most. As for Rees, the kid must have nine lives. 3 vicious hits and walks away unscathed. Does he have some pictures of Branch? lol this year as someone said, sting have been horribly mismanaged, from top to bottom.

Last edited:

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Way to early prediction on lines:
Bitten-Rees-Roth
Voit-Import-Perreault
Guy-Hill-1st Rounder
Dann-Burke-O'Donnell

Stratis-Nolet
Hjorth-Reesor
Kammerer-Mast
X: Dillingham

Gaudreau
Langevin

I honestly dont think it's far off from being a great team. They could use another high-end F, another 3rd line F & depending on the steps Hjorth/Nolet take potentially a high-end Dman.

This all rides on coaching obviously. With the right system in place i like the team & what it could be. If its the same coaching staff then we are screwed before it even starts.
Roth & Bitten on first line??? I don’t smell a success story there.
Will Guy ever become a consistent contributor?
Will Rees ever play 60 games?
It has to be better than this year, but I’m not sure how much.
There’s certainly more than a couple discussions around our house as to whether season tickets are part of next year’s plan.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I am hearing that more and more people within the organization are wanting Hatcher to step down. It's become a major issue with people. The person within the organization that I know said Hatcher puts in zero work and its becoming frustrating that Sarnia is out coached and un-prepared every single game.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
If Sarnia has any chance to be anything great next year a few things need to happen.

1. Hatcher needs to step down from the coaching staff
2. Staubitz needs to stick to strength and conditioning
3. Our Import pick needs to be Elite and show up. (Yak, Ruzicka type)
4. Our top pick needs to be top 3-4 and have an immediate impact
5. OA's need to be Roth, Bitten, Stratis to start - upgrade on Bitten if he isn't on pace for 25 goals
6. One or two of our American picks form Perrault draft need to come over
7. Still will need to add a top 6 F and top 4 D at deadline
8. None of the above will happen

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Roth & Bitten on first line??? I don’t smell a success story there.
Will Guy ever become a consistent contributor?
Will Rees ever play 60 games?
It has to be better than this year, but I’m not sure how much.
There’s certainly more than a couple discussions around our house as to whether season tickets are part of next year’s plan.
We are all a little annoyed with his play of late but Roth still sits top-35 in points in the OHL with 47 Points in 46 games. So even if he takes a small step forward he is still a damn good T6 winger. Bitten i agree i honestly didnt know where to put him. Agree we should upgrade on him for a power forward who can score.

Alot of this rides on Rees. Which is terrifying to say because of his track record. You post it all the time are record with & without him is staggering. It shows how important & good he is. *IF* he smartens up i think we can be legit. If he gets another suspension id trade him.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If Sarnia has any chance to be anything great next year a few things need to happen.

5. OA's need to be Roth, Bitten, Stratis to start - upgrade on Bitten if he isn't on pace for 25 goals
Agree on number 6.. getting any of Miller, Nodler, McCarthy, Schingoethe would be massive. That would save having to trade for a T6 F or a T4 D. All 4 would bring immediate impacts..

Maybe the biggest IF of all is the coaching. If the rumors are true about Hatcher leaving that alone could be huge. A good system/structure can change a ton for a team. No reason for us not to be a super hard to team to score on with 7 returning D & 2 Good goalies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

haha these are just my predictions but ill take a shot
1 - Will Happen
2 - Wont Happen/may happen thenext year if a new coach comes and realizes Staubitz knows nothing.
3- Wont Happen
4- Will Happen
5- Wont Happen
6- Will Happen
7- Depends
8- Wont happen lol.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Agree on number 6.. getting any of Miller, Nodler, McCarthy, Schingoethe would be massive. That would save having to trade for a T6 F or a T4 D. All 4 would bring immediate impacts..

Maybe the biggest IF of all is the coaching. If the rumors are true about Hatcher leaving that alone could be huge. A good system/structure can change a ton for a team. No reason for us not to be a super hard to team to score on with 7 returning D & 2 Good goalies.
Part 1 of his plan of get his kid a place to play is now over. Will be interesting to see where he (Derian Hatcher) goes from here.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Really wondering what DeGurse has to do to get called up.. Hat-trick + Assist last night. Has 26 Goals in 27 Games on a team that is last in goals. 49 Pts in the 27 games.. Can't believe he hasn't been given a shot yet (this yr)

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

No Voit.. noticed he went off slowly after a high hit in OS.. Also healthy scratching Nolet infuriates me. This 9 D thing is a joke. This one could be uglyyyy

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The game was over before it even started. I feel so bad for Langevin & Gaudreau. Kitchener must of had at least 12 odd man rushes in the game.

It felt like neither of them made a routine easy save. Every single shot was a scoring chance.

Only 1 bright spot & its O'Donnell getting his 1st point. Glad Hatcher finally played him more than 6 minutes a game.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Not hearing good things about how the players / players families / agents are feeling about Hatcher right now..... starting to sound like we may have a real problem on are hands if he remains Head Coach..

Fun Times!

Reactions: Lenka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad