Sarnia Sting 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Not sure how the import draft works really, sarnia has their first round import pick on their roster and their second round pick leaves. Which opens up a spot. To me they should only be able to pick in the second round. Can someone explain the rules to me?
If the team has a spot they need to fill, they pick in the first round.
Teams that already have 2 imports for the coming year will pass when it’s their turn in the rotation.
Teams with no returning imports, like us last summer, pick one in the first round and one in the second, if they choose to.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
He’s chirping forwards, defense and goalies, and frankly he’s right. The all could be, and have been, better.
I’ve said many times... forwards make a mistake, it’s a missed opportunity - no big deal. Defense makes a mistake, it’s a great scoring chance for the other guys. Goalies make a mistake and it’s on the scoreboard. By nature of the role, goalies have to be great all the time. In a one goal game, the difference between winning and losing is that one more or two more great saves that you do or don’t make.
Not putting blame on our tenders, they’ve been good. But not great. Remember, between than, they have a grand total of 85 OHL appearances.
And, oh yeah, team defense is brutal!!
I don’t think he can put blame on forwards, defence, or goalies, he’s the coach and doesn’t have the team playing structured hockey at either end especially their own end. The special teams have been a joke and that falls on him aswell. Asking the goalies to make timely saves? Maybe don’t allow your players to give up 40+ shots in 90% of your games. It’s his responsibility to make sure the team is playing a successful system and playing structured hockey, it’s also his responsibility to make sure every player is on the same page and ready to play hard for 60 minutes from puck drop. If he doesn’t like the responsibilities that the job entails then step down immediately.

Reactions: Maddangler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
If the team has a spot they need to fill, they pick in the first round.
Teams that already have 2 imports for the coming year will pass when it’s their turn in the rotation.
Teams with no returning imports, like us last summer, pick one in the first round and one in the second, if they choose to.
Gotcha thanks!

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Cicarelli's first 5 years as owner .... 332 GP 170-126-25-4 ... (4) 30 win seasons, (0) 40 win seasons, (1) 30 Loss season (1st year in Sarnia), (0) times misses playoffs, (5) times 1 st round playoffs, (2) times second round playoffs
Hatchers first 5 years as owner ... 316 GP (24 remaining this year) 163-123-0-24-6 ... (3) 30 win seasons, (2) 40 win seasons, (3) 30 loss seasons, (1***) times missed playoffs, (4) times 1st round playoffs, (1) times second round playoffs.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Cicarelli's first 5 years as owner .... 332 GP 170-126-25-4 ... (4) 30 win seasons, (0) 40 win seasons, (1) 30 Loss season (1st year in Sarnia), (0) times misses playoffs, (5) times 1 st round playoffs, (2) times second round playoffs
Hatchers first 5 years as owner ... 316 GP (24 remaining this year) 163-123-0-24-6 ... (3) 30 win seasons, (2) 40 win seasons, (3) 30 loss seasons, (1***) times missed playoffs, (4) times 1st round playoffs, (1) times second round playoffs.
I wonder if the hunter brothers ever asked to buy the sting off the ciccarellis. Could of continued To have them coaching the sting. Beyond the 2000 season and to this day.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
We obviously butchered the Berka situation but the only way that comes back to bite us is if we take someone that has the same agent. Which would be pretty stupid after how we handled it lol.

Curious as to what you guys would all want? I'm hoping for another Ruzicka just one that works hard lol. I think with McGregor leaving & Tabak dealt we will need a 2C pretty badly.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I do think one guys that needs to wake up a bit is Roth.

1 Goal in his last 11 Games. Alot of turnovers & has passed up way to many good looks.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
We obviously butchered the Berka situation but the only way that comes back to bite us is if we take someone that has the same agent. Which would be pretty stupid after how we handled it lol.

Curious as to what you guys would all want? I'm hoping for another Ruzicka just one that works hard lol. I think with McGregor leaving & Tabak dealt we will need a 2C pretty badly.
Regarding 2C, would you be satisfied with Rees for 25-30 games or so?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017

1 Goal in his last 11 Games. Alot of turnovers & has passed up way to many good looks.
Agree absolutely and completely. This guy needs to be competing for an OA spot next year. Right now I believe the only lock is Stratis.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

lol a hard working Ruzicka would be the league MVP

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Regarding 2C, would you be satisfied with Rees for 25-30 games or so?
He is one of my all-time favorites but it absolutely sucks how unreliable he is. He will be are 1C & before the year i would of said are captain but he can't go 15 games without getting hurt or being suspended.

Why i feel a centre is the pick. We need a 2C with Rees in the lineup but once he eventually goes out (cause he always does) can't have Burke as are 1C....

I'd say Roth is a near lock. His effort needs to be raised but we gave up quite a bit & with Rees he performs at a near 40G pace. Bitten is the one im sort of up in the air with.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

I honestly can’t stand Roth’s game, he played good with josling and rees... I find he takes wayyyy too long to make a decision and won’t shoot always passes and isn’t the hardest worker. I say stratis is a lock and I’d put bitten above roth, bitten has size and grit and competes hard, should be a 50-60 pointer next year. Roth with his size and lack of effort needs to be a 70-80 point player next season

Reactions: dansk55

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Did management ever make a statement on why they chose not to move coveted pieces in Josling or MacGregor?

I was surprised neither were traded. Thought each was one of the best overseers in the league.

Could come back to bite them with the returns Sarnia could’ve got.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Did management ever make a statement on why they chose not to move coveted pieces in Josling or MacGregor?

I was surprised neither were traded. Thought each was one of the best overseers in the league.

Could come back to bite them with the returns Sarnia could’ve got.

No, they just believed that they could still make the playoffs. The talent is there on paper, but it hasn't shown on the ice except for little spurts here and there. This is a coaching issue in the minds of many. Team has given up and it sounds like the coach has too.

What could have turned into four or five 2nds between McGregor and Josling being traded will end up being a pat on the back for playing their whole junior careers with Sarnia. Big deal...

Reactions: davewheeler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
No, they just believed that they could still make the playoffs. The talent is there on paper, but it hasn't shown on the ice except for little spurts here and there. This is a coaching issue in the minds of many. Team has given up and it sounds like the coach has too.

What could have turned into four or five 2nds between McGregor and Josling being traded will end up being a pat on the back for playing their whole junior careers with Sarnia. Big deal...
Agree. Also, I don't get the goal of making playoffs if you have no chance to do any damage ..... who gives a crap if you make playoffs and you lose in the first round? When the season is over no one will know the difference between the teams that make playoffs and teams that lost early in playoffs. It's disturbing that management thought this team could do anything in the post season. Once again this team makes a critical error. Still seems like they're still learning the hard way. "New" management will be entering its 6th year next year and there have been zero results .... They came in with a lot of hype and have fallen flat and have showed signs of being incompetent.

Reactions: Lenka

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

from what team(s) would the sting get 4-5 2nds for their OAs? Phillips went for 2,3,4 and Wilms 2,4 both to London. The wolves could have really used Josling or Lodinia, but sent an OA & 3rd for Chenier.
Sarnia OAs possibly stayed because there were no reasonable offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumberking

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Such a dirty hit. He basically charged at him just to hit him. Unacceptable.

If it were an Erie player hitting a Sting/Storm/Greyhound i'd still say the same. There's no need for this in the league. I'm an advocate for finishing the checks and making big (clean hits) but my gosh Hunter was at the middle of the blue line without the puck at the time of the hit.

That's because he passed it less than a second before he got hit.

Reactions: Ferda11

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Is this team really that bad? I don't think so. However, they are damn good at losing games. And, losing the game late too. So far this season, the Sting at 2-9 in one goal games. The have also lost 3 games by 2 goals where the opponent scored and empty net goal. A bounce here and there, the goalie doesn't mishandle the puck and they could be sitting in a playoff spot.

Reactions: Lumberking

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
That's because he passed it less than a second before he got hit.
So BM, are you suggesting it was a clean hit? I gotta agree with the Erie fan. Hatcher hides in the bushes to do the same thing...all the time.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010

Butchered is an understatement. Don't agree with same agent philosphy. We will get an import, but we may not get one of value. We've had other players balk at coming.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
So BM, are you suggesting it was a clean hit? I gotta agree with the Erie fan. Hatcher hides in the bushes to do the same thing...all the time.

No, wasn't a clean hit at all. I was just saying that it was nowhere near being late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->