Sarnia Sting 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Not sure about that..
Gaudreau
Perreault
Rees
Weiss (idiotic pick)
Chmelevski
Chychrun
Korostelev
Hargrave
Kujawinski
Galchenyuk

Pretty happy with 8 of those 10. Hargrave was a bust, but at least we traded him for a bunch of picks & we should have never taken Weiss. Hard to complain about any of the other ones. I believe all were NHL Drafted also (other than Hargrave) obviously Perreault going this yr.

I'd say 7 of those you can be pretty pleased with. Gaudreau being one of the 7. He looks good early but it's still too early to call that pick a success.

Weiss, Hargrave and Kujawinski were all bust picks.

Reactions: dansk55

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Not sure about that..
Gaudreau
Perreault
Rees
Weiss (idiotic pick)
Chmelevski
Chychrun
Korostelev
Hargrave
Kujawinski
Galchenyuk

Pretty happy with 8 of those 10. Hargrave was a bust, but at least we traded him for a bunch of picks & we should have never taken Weiss. Hard to complain about any of the other ones. I believe all were NHL Drafted also (other than Hargrave) obviously Perreault going this yr.
I was talking about before Gally too when we had a long list of no names taken in the first. 2 of those we had the first overall pick so it's not that hard and picks in the first round are easier to make imo.... I get they had to take Chychrun 1st but I am never ever a fan of taking a defence man that high.... I do like the Rees and Perreault picks. Gaudreau, we will see but I like it so far.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I was talking about before Gally too when we had a long list of no names taken in the first. 2 of those we had the first overall pick so it's not that hard and picks in the first round are easier to make imo.... I get they had to take Chychrun 1st but I am never ever a fan of taking a defence man that high.... I do like the Rees and Perreault picks. Gaudreau, we will see but I like it so far.

ya it's pretty ugly before Galchenyuk...

Brett Ritchie - Didn't do much for us, played good once traded
Gregg Sutch - massive bust
Colt Kennedy - massive bust
Steven Stamkos - meh he's ok I guess
Mark Katic - one of our best d-man of all time
Kody Musselman - biggest joke pick of all time
Trevor Solomon - bust

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
ya it's pretty ugly before Galchenyuk...

Brett Ritchie - Didn't do much for us, played good once traded
Gregg Sutch - massive bust
Colt Kennedy - massive bust
Steven Stamkos - meh he's ok I guess
Mark Katic - one of our best d-man of all time
Kody Musselman - biggest joke pick of all time
Trevor Solomon - bust
Lol Rumours the GM was intentionally trying to make the team bad.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Perreault dominating all the on ice testing at the top prospects thing. Tells you how little attention we get by how surprised people are at how well he skates & shoots.

Feels like Rees last yr. We all know they are 1st round talents but since they play on a mediocre Sarnia team they get 0 shine.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Perreault dominating all the on ice testing at the top prospects thing. Tells you how little attention we get by how surprised people are at how well he skates & shoots.

Feels like Rees last yr. We all know they are 1st round talents but since they play on a mediocre Sarnia team they get 0 shine.
Rees in the second was a bit of a stretch for me. I was surprised when he went there. I have always been high on Perreault I think he will go in the 10-15 range and not late first like people think. I think for the most part guys go where they should go regardless of the team but I do agree if Sarnia got more play then more people would know about him.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Rees in the second was a bit of a stretch for me. I was surprised when he went there. I have always been high on Perreault I think he will go in the 10-15 range and not late first like people think. I think for the most part guys go where they should go regardless of the team but I do agree if Sarnia got more play then more people would know about him.
Only thing that'll make him fall is his all around game away from the puck. He can be rather lazy at times. But offensively he is a monster.. he seems to raise his level with Rees out which says alot about him.

If he returns at 19 i think he will take a run at Boucher's 62 goal season.

Reactions: robp1219

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Predictions for the weekend ~
5-3 Sarnia
6-4 Sudbury

Byfield is gonna have an absolute field day with are defense lol. Erie game is Must-Win. Lose & we are 10 back.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Only thing that'll make him fall is his all around game away from the puck. He can be rather lazy at times. But offensively he is a monster.. he seems to raise his level with Rees out which says alot about him.

To take a run at Boucher’s mark, he’ll need a feeder like Sarault. Voit might be a similar type of player, but will have to develop a lot between now and then. Not saying it’s impossible, but a lot of things need to come together.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I feel like there is a lot of offensively gifted 17 years that can be lazy defensively at times, a lot of players go to nhl camps after they get drafted and get told that and they return to junior and work on it as they mature and get older.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Is Perreault injured? He's been in a full shield and I wasn't sure if he was nursing some sort of injury.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Must win tonight. Lose & we are 10 back of Erie with them having 2 games in hand.

I'd start Gaudreau. He seems to deliver when we need a win & we need one now. Also expected to be a big crowd (400 tickets left) so hopefully that gives the guys a boost.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
be mediocre.
C’mon... I said last year that it was bad and likely to be worse this year. Sadly, it’s coming true.
All of us had our rose colored glasses on at the start of the season, but the 0-7 was a killer. The next dozen games breathed hope into us again, but EVERYTHING was going our way.

Remember the “experts” had us pegged to miss the playoffs, and it’s looking like they’re right.

Remember the big picture here - this team had virtually no “2000’s” at the start of the year. Yeah some trades were made, but no team is gonna give up a top shelf 2000; they’re gonna give us their spare parts. You really need good 19 yr olds to compete.

On top of that, our #1 draft pick was an obvious play for the future; certainly not this year. Most teams’ #1 is giving them real production every game. Gaudreau has played in 12 of 42 games, some in relief. Nobody was expecting him to take the number one goalie job.

On top of that, the injury situation has been ridiculous. The makeshift lines for the first 3 weeks of the season meant that nobody was playing with the linemates they were slated to have. It took the team a whole month to even get some reasonable lines together.

Finally, the import draft was a sh** show. Took a risk on a defenseman who had sustained a major injury. He may be the real deal next year, but has not been a major contributor to-date. Ya, the points look good, but lots of those on the power play. The Berka draft was a total mess. So we really haven’t seen studly play from the imports.

The boys needed 4 or 5 points last weekend, but couldn’t get it done... close, but just made enough mistakes to lose. Beating Erie could give a flicker of hope, but anything less than a 4 point weekend will likely be the end.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
C’mon... I said last year that it was bad and likely to be worse this year. Sadly, it’s coming true.
All of us had our rose colored glasses on at the start of the season, but the 0-7 was a killer. The next dozen games breathed hope into us again, but EVERYTHING was going our way.

Remember the “experts” had us pegged to miss the playoffs, and it’s looking like they’re right.

Remember the big picture here - this team had virtually no “2000’s” at the start of the year. Yeah some trades were made, but no team is gonna give up a top shelf 2000; they’re gonna give us their spare parts. You really need good 19 yr olds to compete.

On top of that, our #1 draft pick was an obvious play for the future; certainly not this year. Most teams’ #1 is giving them real production every game. Gaudreau has played in 12 of 42 games, some in relief. Nobody was expecting him to take the number one goalie job.

On top of that, the injury situation has been ridiculous. The makeshift lines for the first 3 weeks of the season meant that nobody was playing with the linemates they were slated to have. It took the team a whole month to even get some reasonable lines together.

Finally, the import draft was a sh** show. Took a risk on a defenseman who had sustained a major injury. He may be the real deal next year, but has not been a major contributor to-date. Ya, the points look good, but lots of those on the power play. The Berka draft was a total mess. So we really haven’t seen studly play from the imports.

The boys needed 4 or 5 points last weekend, but couldn’t get it done... close, but just made enough mistakes to lose. Beating Erie could give a flicker of hope, but anything less than a 4 point weekend will likely be the end.
I still 100% believe we are in a playoff spot right now if Rees & McGregor don't miss the opening 7 games & then Rees going down again started another slide. Not to mention Kammerer, Hatcher have taken turns being hurt + Reesor who hasn't started.

It isn't a coincidence we are over 0.500 with Rees IN the lineup. He is a gamebreaker & can change the game at anytime.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I still 100% believe we are in a playoff spot right now if Rees & McGregor don't miss the opening 7 games & then Rees going down again started another slide. Not to mention Kammerer, Hatcher have taken turns being hurt + Reesor who hasn't started.

It isn't a coincidence we are over 0.500 with Rees IN the lineup. He is a gamebreaker & can change the game at anytime.
Certainly you’re right. Wouldn’t be a “contender” but would be in the playoffs.
Would have been at least 4-3 in the first 7, then the latest stinkfest would have won all the games that went to OT if Rees was there. That alone would have the team around 7th or 8th, which honestly is where they belong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad