Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
He’s not being targeted because of his race, he’s being targeted because of the way he plays the game. All of this talk about racist remarks made to him is just hearsay. As far as I’m concerned Smith was the one sitting in the press box for a reason and no one else. Whoever made that article is just doing what the media does best...cause drama and over exaggerate EVERYTHING. At the end of the day the league look into it all and cane to the conclusion that everything was just peachy. Get over it.

What the hell, Ferda? Nothing about that situation was "peachy." What on earth possessed you to pronounce "Get over it" when the "it" is RACISM, for goodness's sake?

This is just... this is appalling. And you know better, too. I just...

This is the single worst post I've ever seen on this forum.

Reactions: bobber

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
What the hell, Ferda? Nothing about that situation was "peachy." What on earth possessed you to pronounce "Get over it" when the "it" is RACISM, for goodness's sake?

This is just... this is appalling. And you know better, too. I just...

This is the single worst post I've ever seen on this forum.

You seem to be forgetting the FACT that the league looked into these allegations against players/coaches from SSM and Sarnia and said they were content and no disciplinary action was taken. The league wouldn't take those allegations lightly and would have done a thorough investigation. So yes, since the league did it's investigation and nothing came of it, I'd say everything is "peachy" and now it's time to move on and "get over it" or you can keep believing everything you hear from the media whose job is to make news when news isn't there, especially when the source is a sour journalist who happens to cover the Rangers.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
You seem to be forgetting the FACT that the league looked into these allegations against players/coaches from SSM and Sarnia and said they were content and no disciplinary action was taken. The league wouldn't take those allegations lightly and would have done a thorough investigation. So yes, since the league did it's investigation and nothing came of it, I'd say everything is "peachy" and now it's time to move on and "get over it" or you can keep believing everything you hear from the media whose job is to make news when news isn't there, especially when the source is a sour journalist who happens to cover the Rangers.

Have you ever read my posts before? Do I strike you as particularly credulous? If anything, I'm the opposite. Of course, I thought you were a thoughtful, reasonable person until you excreted that nonsense above. Good grief. Brown is an excellent journalist and would not have put that out there without good evidence. He's not exactly an egregious homer, either, at least by OHL standards. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I think the league has at least as much incentive to make a cursory investigation designed to turn up nothing than he does to fabricate the story. Moreover, it's FACT (as you so eloquently put it) that Smith has taken racist abuse from fans. You're drawing an uncomfortable and arguably racist line in the sand when you say "no players, no problem."

I just don't understand how someone looks at these incidents and thinks, "Well, nothing to see here, guess we'd better move on." And then thinks it's OK to share these sentiments on the Internet. It's just appalling. Don't you care what people on this forum think of you? Or Sting fans in general?

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Have you ever read my posts before? Do I strike you as particularly credulous? If anything, I'm the opposite. Of course, I thought you were a thoughtful, reasonable person until you excreted that nonsense above. Good grief. Brown is an excellent journalist and would not have put that out there without good evidence. He's not exactly an egregious homer, either, at least by OHL standards. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I think the league has at least as much incentive to make a cursory investigation designed to turn up nothing than he does to fabricate the story. Moreover, it's FACT (as you so eloquently put it) that Smith has taken racist abuse from fans. You're drawing an uncomfortable and arguably racist line in the sand when you say "no players, no problem."

I just don't understand how someone looks at these incidents and thinks, "Well, nothing to see here, guess we'd better move on." And then thinks it's OK to share these sentiments on the Internet. It's just appalling. Don't you care what people on this forum think of you? Or Sting fans in general?

Caring about what people think of me is not a priority nor should it be for anyone. I'll call it how I see it and if people want to take my post out of the context it was meant to be expressed in then so be it. I wont lose any sleep over it. It's hard to judge the true meaning and demeanor of peoples words through text on a screen. Everybody sees and interprets things differently and unfortunately some of you think I'm sitting behind a screen with a white robe and conical hat on my head.

My argument has been and is that Smith simply plays like a meat head and that's why he received the heckling. His race had nothing to do with the heckling from the SSM players. He could be black, white, brown, yellow or pink and it still wouldn't have mattered. When you play the game like a bone head then the chirps come with the territory. Everyone claims there were racist remarks made towards him by players/coaches which is false because there would have been disciplinary action against those who took part in it.

As for the fans, I don't dispute that, the fans were never apart of any of my posts at all. I'm sure there were a few idiots out there that said some racial remarks and that's a shame but labelling the SSM and even Sarnia organizations as having racist members within is a bunch of unfounded BS. At this point its all just a bunch of "he said, she said" allegations with no concrete evidence behind it.

You know what I would love to see? All those messages sent by fans to Smith through social media. Take action against the real racists and hold them accountable for what was said. Report and have their accounts removed, involve the police.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Caring about what people think of me is not a priority nor should it be for anyone. I'll call it how I see it and if people want to take my post out of the context it was meant to be expressed in then so be it. I wont lose any sleep over it. It's hard to judge the true meaning and demeanor of peoples words through text on a screen. Everybody sees and interprets things differently and unfortunately some of you think I'm sitting behind a screen with a white robe and conical hat on my head.

There's nothing out of context here, Ferda. When you choose to wade into the topic of racism in sports, you engage with that context. And when you advance a racist viewpoint, you run the risk of being called out for it. I never said you were a racist. In fact, I said I thought you were a pretty good guy! Good, decent people are more than capable of advancing racist arguments without being racist themselves. Goodness knows I've done it.

You're stating things you simply don't know to be true. You don't know who said what. You don't know whether Smith's race had anything to do with the heckling he received. You seem to have a large amount of confidence in the league's investigative abilities on this, but I'd encourage you to reflect on your thoughts about bias in league officiating, say, and whether your confidence in the league's integrity in those kinds of matters aligns with your confidence on this topic. Your "white robe" comment is just offensive and shows your reluctance to consider my remarks with any degree of thoughtfulness.

You know what I would love to see? All those messages sent by fans to Smith through social media. Take action against the real racists and hold them accountable for what was said. Report and have their accounts removed, involve the police.

There are no "real racists." There are some really shitty people out there who are probably never going to change, but there are also kind, intelligent, decent people like you and me who can occasionally lose sight of the forest for the trees and need to give our heads a shake. Be better.

I'm not going to engage further on this because I don't think it's a productive discussion, but hit me up over PM if you're interested in continuing it in a mature and respectful fashion.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006

My argument has been and is that Smith simply plays like a meat head and that's why he received the heckling. His race had nothing to do with the heckling from the SSM players. He could be black, white, brown, yellow or pink and it still wouldn't have mattered. When you play the game like a bone head then the chirps come with the territory. Everyone claims there were racist remarks made towards him by players/coaches which is false because there would have been disciplinary action against those who took part in it.

As for the fans, I don't dispute that, the fans were never apart of any of my posts at all. I'm sure there were a few idiots out there that said some racial remarks and that's a shame but labelling the SSM and even Sarnia organizations as having racist members within is a bunch of unfounded BS. At this point its all just a bunch of "he said, she said" allegations with no concrete evidence behind it.

Terrific post.

Some of these folks bit down too hard on Josh Brown's click bait, and now they're choking on the hook.

He tells you "you don't know who said what" when of course he doesn't know either.

Brown says "derogatory" comments came from behind the Soo bench. He adds there were "allegations that some players may have crossed the line as well."

Perfectly vague, but woven into an article pointing to racism, some tightly-wound small minds are screaming at the implication, not at anything concrete.

Derogatory remarks are not racial remarks.

The article is laced with embellishments and Brown is a complete jackass for using Smith to stir the pot.

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
How much does a seat cost along the redline this season? How much did it go up from last year?

Thanks!

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Tickets were $22 taxes in last year. However this year ticket prices are increasing due to HST & ticket service fees. Only having 2 options for season tickets & single tickets is a big f*** you to the fans. There's really no benefit to having regular or gold season tickets.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Tickets were $22 taxes in last year. However this year ticket prices are increasing due to HST & ticket service fees. Only having 2 options for season tickets & single tickets is a big **** you to the fans. There's really no benefit to having regular or gold season tickets.

What other options would you like?

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
Tickets were $22 taxes in last year. However this year ticket prices are increasing due to HST & ticket service fees. Only having 2 options for season tickets & single tickets is a big **** you to the fans. There's really no benefit to having regular or gold season tickets.
Really no benefit other than saving $7.56 per game with a regular season ticket (if it was purchased prior to 5/31). That is a savings of $257.04 or 10 games free + almost enough left over to buy 1 beer.
If the tax is a deal breaker, there are 2 more options: Drive an hour east to London or an hour west to Flint. London has a waiting list for season tickets and Flint season tickets only save $1/game

Reactions: The Howler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad