Sarcastro's Mock Draft

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Never done one of these before, but here goes:

1. Blues-Jordan Staal: The Blues could go with Johnson and I think they might work out a deal with Pittsburgh so that both can have what they really want, if they stay put I think they take Staal. Just a hunch. The Blues have no scoring centers with any size at all, and Staal would fit that bill.

2. Pens-Erik Johnson: Everyone knows the Pens need D, and the next 6 or 7 prospects on most boards are all centers. Pitt must get Johnson or trade down unless they see a center that they're sure will be able to play the wing.

3. Hawks-Phil Kessel: Have to feel sorry for Kessel to be stuck here. This is the worst organization in hockey, and one of the worst in pro sports, a sad state for a once-great franchise. They'll take him because he's the best player available, and I am fully confident that they'll find some way to ruin him. I feel really bad for Hawks fans, if that's not overly apparent.

4. Caps-Nicklas Backstrom: He is widely regarded as NHL ready, and his skill level will match perfectly with Ovechkin. Things are looking up for the Caps.

5. Bruins-Jonathan Toews: Not sure where the Bs are going, but a top all-around talent like Toews will help get them there. Few teams have a 1-2 punch of 2 way centers like Bergeron and Toews.

I'm not an expert so I'll just list the rest of my picks with minimum commentary.

6. Jackets-Peter Mueller
7. Isles–Derrick Brassard
8. Coyotes–Jiri Tlusty
9. Wild–Kyle Okposo
10. Panthers–Michael Frolik - not a Keenan player, but so much talent they can't pass
11. Kings–James Sheppard
12. Thrashers–Bobby Sanguinetti - Thrash have lots of huge hulks on D but not so many PP QBs
13. Leafs– Chris Stewart
14. Canucks-Brian Little
15. Lightning–Nigel Williams - no G will solve their problems soon enough so why reach for one?
16. Canadiens–Claude Giroux - MTL keeps reaching a bit for Quebecois
17. Wild-Ty Wishart
18. Avalanche–Cory Emmerton
19. Ducks–Mike Forney
20. Sharks–David Fischer
21. Rangers–Patrick Berglund
22. Flyers-Joe Ryan
23. Devils–Michael Grabner
24. Flames–Cal Clutterbuck
25. Caps–Ivan Vishnevski
26. Sabres-Jesse Joensuu
27. Blues–Mark Mitera
28. Stars–Riku Helenius
29. Senators–Ondrej Fiala
30. Red Wings–Who I would pick: Codey Burki. Who the Wings will pick: Jamie McBain

:dunno:

How bad is it?

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Seems early for Frolik. Also, everyone is on the Joe Ryan train for Philadelphia. Seems like a good play, if he in fact makes a good first pass out of the zone. We could use some more offensive defensemen in the prospect pool, along with wingers that can score.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Hasbro said:
Sir you mock is a mockery!!! I mock your mock!!! :sarcasm:

Your mockery of my mock is a traveshamockery. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries. :p:

I was kind of pressed for time at the end so I was pretty much just spitballing. More than anything, I'm curious to see how accurate I am. :dunno:

And for some reason I have a feeling Frolik won't fall as far as most people have him falling these days. Again, call it a hunch.

As long as the Wings pick a power forward prospect, I'll be happy. There should be a few good ones left when they pick. If there aren't, then a bruising defenseman who can skate is the priority. The system is so weak at those two spots, they absolutely must start addressing it early in the draft where you find the premium talent. The last time they took a forward in the first round was ... Curtis Bowen in 1992. :eek:

On Axis

Mad Vlad
Mar 27, 2006
It looks pretty good, sarcastro. The only thing is that I have a feeling Washington will pick Toews and Boston will pick Backstrom. I think both will be good centers, but I think Washington is going to look for a powerful center to go with Ovechkin or Semin, and Toews seems to fit that bill. I've only seen Backstrom play twice, so I may be wrong though.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Solfjäder said:
It looks pretty good, sarcastro. The only thing is that I have a feeling Washington will pick Toews and Boston will pick Backstrom. I think both will be good centers, but I think Washington is going to look for a powerful center to go with Ovechkin or Semin, and Toews seems to fit that bill. I've only seen Backstrom play twice, so I may be wrong though.

My thinking was, they've already got the power guy in Ovechkin, and it would be more important to find a guy who has the skills to play with him, even if he's not quite as big and physical. :dunno:

On Axis

Mad Vlad
Mar 27, 2006
Semin isn't quite as powerful though. Now, if Semin and Ovechkin are on the same line together, then I can see Washington drafting Backstrom.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
sarcastro said:
Never done one of these before, but here goes:
16. Canadiens–Claude Giroux - MTL keeps reaching a bit for Quebecois
?

I believe Gainey will not be pressured in to going for a Quebecois player unless it's left open for him totake. Bob has a TONNE of hockey pride, and respect, and he WILL NOT waste it on some slim chance that we will get a home selection.
Seriously, so many have told the habs select based on french players available....
Yes we will select them if they are appropriate (as most home teams SHOULD), but history has shown us that we have in fact AVOIDED making the 'French Selection' in the first round for quite some time now.

For example, even w/ the #5 being our selection last year, and wunderkid Gilbert Brule (who is not Quebec, but has close ties to a French family, and is a die hard hab fan) was overpassed for a goalie whom many thought was not necessary at the time.
Little did we know...

Long story short... The most glorious franchise on the planet is back in full steam, don't be shocked to think that this superstitious myth is over. 'Cause Bob has proven he does not play favourites, he is very competent, and to be quite frank again, we are one of the more competent franchises in terms of pure administrative talent. Please, dont sell us short for the sake of convenience. Let it be known, that the Habs will select the BPA at # 16 (if we are still there @ # 16, theres plenty of rumblings going down after our elimination we could go either way (going up, or moving down)...

Just a reminder to all as to what exactly I am talking about
2005- Carey Price WHL (passed on Brule, Bourdon)
2004- Kyle CHipchura WHL
2003-Andrei Kostitsyn RSL (passed on Bernier)
2002-Chris Higgins NCAA
2001-Mike Komisarek NCAA, Alex Perezhogin RSL
2000 -Ron Hainsey NCAA, Marcel Hossa WHL

Not one of these First round players are from QMJHL, let alone Quebec.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Ghost # 1 said:
I believe Gainey will not be pressured in to going for a Quebecois player unless it's left open for him totake. Bob has a TONNE of hockey pride, and respect, and he WILL NOT waste it on some slim chance that we will get a home selection.
Seriously, so many have told the habs select based on french players available....
Yes we will select them if they are appropriate (as most home teams SHOULD), but history has shown us that we have in fact AVOIDED making the 'French Selection' in the first round for quite some time now.

For example, even w/ the #5 being our selection last year, and wunderkid Gilbert Brule (who is not Quebec, but has close ties to a French family, and is a die hard hab fan) was overpassed for a goalie whom many thought was not necessary at the time.
Little did we know...

Long story short... The most glorious franchise on the planet is back in full steam, don't be shocked to think that this superstitious myth is over. 'Cause Bob has proven he does not play favourites, he is very competent, and to be quite frank again, we are one of the more competent franchises in terms of pure administrative talent. Please, dont sell us short for the sake of convenience. Let it be known, that the Habs will select the BPA at # 16 (if we are still there @ # 16, theres plenty of rumblings going down after our elimination we could go either way (going up, or moving down)...

Just a reminder to all as to what exactly I am talking about
2005- Carey Price WHL (passed on Brule, Bourdon)
2004- Kyle CHipchura WHL
2003-Andrei Kostitsyn RSL (passed on Bernier)
2002-Chris Higgins NCAA
2001-Mike Komisarek NCAA, Alex Perezhogin RSL
2000 -Ron Hainsey NCAA, Marcel Hossa WHL

Not one of these First round players are from QMJHL, let alone Quebec.

I guess it seems like the Habs are always after French Canadians, even if they have to reach in the draft or overpay them as FAs. :dunno:

You're right though, now that I think about it Gainey has been much better about taking talent, even if it's not Francophone talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad