Saprykin vs. Kelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Can anyone remember back to the 1999 draft when Saprykin and Scott Kelman were drafted 11th and 15th overall I believe. They were both on the same team
then, does anyone remember how these two were comapred to one another or the hype around these two if there was any. I didn't start really following NHL drafts until a few years ago and just wandering how these two started off 5 years ago. Now Sapyrikin has scored the game winning goal in game 5 and is going to be an important part of the Flames future while Kelman was in the ECHL last year.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I only remember about Saprykin being consider one of the most skilled guys but i think work ethic as always been an issue, while Kelman i think was only overated.. not enough talent. Saprykin can still become a semi star. imo..

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Saprikin myst of worked on his work ethic. He is working his ass off and going into scoring areas, ie the ot winner. I think once his hands catch up to the speed of the NHL he will be a great 2nd liner for the Flames.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I played against Kelman in midget and still play against him during the summer, I could never understand how he was rated so highly. He was a good player, but not talented enough to be a mid-first round pick. I was astonished by his rating and still can't imagine what everyone saw in him when he was in the Dub.

He's a wicked pitcher, should have stuck to baseball...

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
What I wonder is, where is the clown who use to roam these boards and call Saprykin a bust twice a week?

Where are you, clown?

For starters, it wasn't myself making those comments. However, Saprykin still has not turned out to be the tough 2nd line winger he was expected to be...yet. One goal doesn't make him a game-breaker. But he is finally an NHL regular. So to call him a bust is ludicrous, but he definitely has not reached the expectations most hockey people had put on him.

Also, I got into a debate about this a couple years ago with someone on the Panthers board. I had called Kelman a bust who would never see NHL action (mostly due to an injury that slowed his progress and shattered his confidence) and the other guy swore up and down he'd be a player (and a good one) in the NHL some day. While he still hasn't retired from the game of hockey, it's a pretty safe bet he's not going to be seeing any action in the Show either.

As for comparison wise, I think the big difference was Kelman was tougher on his skates and along the boards, but Saprykin probably had the better touch around the net. Both were gritty guys though...

Last edited:

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hyped said:
but he definitely has not reached the expectations most hockey people had put on him.

If by most hockey people you mean people on these boards just about every player ever drafted has failed to live up to expectations. :joker:

It's 5 years after his draft he's about right where he should be realistically and looks to have 2-3 line potential still.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Who are you

Don_Cherry said:
I played against Kelman in midget and still play against him during the summer, I could never understand how he was rated so highly. He was a good player, but not talented enough to be a mid-first round pick. I was astonished by his rating and still can't imagine what everyone saw in him when he was in the Dub.

He's a wicked pitcher, should have stuck to baseball...

I use to play road hockey and baseball with him when I was younger, whats your name? We may have met before lol. I lived in Winnipeg for 6 years on Lakeridge road and was good friends with Scott until grade 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad