Prospect Info: Santtu Kinnunen (2018, #207 overall), Tappara (Liiga)

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
Panthers might wanna sign this kid before they lose his rights. He's been superb this entire season for Tappara, and only gets better every game. The only reason his point totals are moderate is because the team has two defensemen who have been top scoring defensemen in Finnish League and one other guy who topped their production last season despite being injured for about 15 games. So Kinnunen is not getting PP time (although imo he should, but the special team logic this season has been so, that PK guys don't play PP and vice versa). However he plays a key role on even strength and PK.

He's super poised with the puck, makes nearly no mistakes, is quite agile, still filling up his muscles, but already well physical enough to win puck battles at this level. Heavy shot and great vision and iq both defensively and offensively. If he keeps this up, there's no way he doesn't find himself in the NHL in 2-3 years (I mean there is, he just doesn't get signed or plays a bad game at a training camp).

I really don't see a weakness in his game at Finnish League level. If there is, it's probably something with athleticism, cause his minutes early on in the season were kind of conservative. Can't really think of a good comparison.

I don't know if it's okay to bump this guy's thread out of nowhere, but I can't help but wonder why he is going unnoticed.

His stats (remember, without PP time) 33 games, 3+12=15, and the good old +/- of +8, which is second among team's defencemen.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Panthers might wanna sign this kid before they lose his rights. He's been superb this entire season for Tappara, and only gets better every game. The only reason his point totals are moderate is because the team has two defensemen who have been top scoring defensemen in Finnish League and one other guy who topped their production last season despite being injured for about 15 games. So Kinnunen is not getting PP time (although imo he should, but the special team logic this season has been so, that PK guys don't play PP and vice versa). However he plays a key role on even strength and PK.

He's super poised with the puck, makes nearly no mistakes, is quite agile, still filling up his muscles, but already well physical enough to win puck battles at this level. Heavy shot and great vision and iq both defensively and offensively. If he keeps this up, there's no way he doesn't find himself in the NHL in 2-3 years (I mean there is, he just doesn't get signed or plays a bad game at a training camp).

I really don't see a weakness in his game at Finnish League level. If there is, it's probably something with athleticism, cause his minutes early on in the season were kind of conservative. Can't really think of a good comparison.

I don't know if it's okay to bump this guy's thread out of nowhere, but I can't help but wonder why he is going unnoticed.

His stats (remember, without PP time) 33 games, 3+12=15, and the good old +/- of +8, which is second among team's defencemen.

If he's worth signing, Jere Kekalainen will know about it. He's a great scout based in Finland. Sounds promising though, I had kind of written him off.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If he's worth signing, Jere Kekalainen will know about it. He's a great scout based in Finland. Sounds promising though, I had kind of written him off.
Plus Barky signs his paychecks : I think if we have good data. We might sign him; big step up this season. Is he still super small though in terms of weight?

Reactions: harv33173

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
All I can find is that he's still 154 lbs, which obviously can't be true. Nhl.com says he's now 6'3" though.

He was listed 160 lbs and 6'2'' last summer. I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. We'll see next summer how many of those missing >15 lbs he has gained. At least they've talked to media that he hasn't maybe trained and eaten like an athlete should in the past (changed team after last season).

Reactions: harv33173

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Any opinions about Kinnunen? 6 points in 7 games in AHL playoffs. Does he have NHL potential?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Any opinions about Kinnunen? 6 points in 7 games in AHL playoffs. Does he have NHL potential?

Didn't watch any games but definitely kept up with the team, scoreboard watching and reading up on the team.

He played really well for a rookie putting up half a point per game, had a FULL season and only missed a game or two IIRC.
Promising stuff from a later 7th round pick. (Weegar 2.0? :crossfing )

Coaches have been raving about him so the hope is he continues to progress another year in AHL, maybe get a couple games in NHL if injuries happen but should compete for a bottom pairing spot in 2024-25 IMO.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Didn't watch any games but definitely kept up with the team, scoreboard watching and reading up on the team.

He played really well for a rookie putting up half a point per game, had a FULL season and only missed a game or two IIRC.
Promising stuff from a later 7th round pick. (Weegar 2.0? :crossfing )

Coaches have been raving about him so the hope is he continues to progress another year in AHL, maybe get a couple games in NHL if injuries happen but should compete for a bottom pairing spot in 2024-25 IMO.
We have a few guys preparing to take the jump:

Carlsson
Keirstad
Ludwig
Kinnunen
Sjalin
Benning
Etc.

Nause in the Q still

Reactions: Prominence Problem

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We have a few guys preparing to take the jump:

Carlsson
Keirstad
Ludwig
Kinnunen
Sjalin
Benning
Etc.

Nause in the Q still

Carlsson needs a look next year or he's gone when his deal is up.
I have decent hope for Ludvig (defensive toolbox), Benning (offensive skill) and one of Kinnunen or even Alscher/Nause in a few years.

We haven't drafted a 1st round defenseman since Ekblad no? Pretty crazy to think about.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Carlsson needs a look next year or he's gone when his deal is up.
I have decent hope for Ludvig (defensive toolbox), Benning (offensive skill) and one of Kinnunen or even Alscher/Nause in a few years.

We haven't drafted a 1st round defenseman since Ekblad no? Pretty crazy to think about.
I believe Nause was a 2nd.

Reactions: violaswallet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad