Confirmed with Link: Santini Re-Signs

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
nobody really needs to go. However, Lovejoy needs to go back to being the extra DMan.

I am under the impression that Yakovlev will not make the NHL roster (and probably then go back to Russia)

I like the contract. I see no reason at this point why Santini won't at least develop into a good bottom-pairing defenseman. He's still only 23 for most of this season so to lock him up for 3 years at $1.4MM (especially when the cap it's a problem now) is fine by me.

I don't think this changes anything for Yakovlev. He knew these 7 defensemen would all likely be back when he signed and he's probably fortunate NJ didn't sign any new defensemen in free agency. Devils have shown they'll find a spot for you if you earn it - if Yakovlev plays well in the preseason I could absolutely see them going with 13F/8D to start the season as they did last year. If he really deserves it they'll find a way to play him (maybe even dressing 7 D again and double-shifting Hall). Otherwise, it's not a bad spot if he starts the season in the AHL 8th on the depth charts as there would be a decent chance of him playing in NJ at some point in the year once injuries hit (though NJ was rather fortunate last season on defense). I don't think he can just head back to Russia if he doesn't make the team out of camp either.

As for Santini - how many restricted years are left after this deal? I feel like this should be something listed on capfriendly.com, but I don't see it there.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Well, I don't know. I just don't like to put two offensive Dmen to the second pair and two defensive Dmen to the third pair.

Maybe something like this:

Greene-Vatanen
Butcher-Santini
Müller-Severson

I like Santini's new contract. He has tools to be a good second pair Dman, though it's more likely that he is a third pair guy.

I think Mueller is going to surprise in a good way this season. Seems like quite a few people on the board are down on him now, similar to how a lot of people were down on Wood at this point last year.

I like these pairings to start - about as balanced as you can get. Still a big question mark if Santini (and to a less extent Butcher) can handle 2nd pairing minutes though, even though I'd expect the bottom two pairings to get relatively equal 5x5 playing time under this scenario. Actually maybe Butcher/Santini would actually get a little less 5x5 since they'd be getting more minutes on special teams than Mueller/Severson.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and Verdoux

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I like the contract. I see no reason at this point why Santini won't at least develop into a good bottom-pairing defenseman. He's still only 23 for most of this season so to lock him up for 3 years at $1.4MM (especially when the cap it's a problem now) is fine by me.

I don't think this changes anything for Yakovlev. He knew these 7 defensemen would all likely be back when he signed and he's probably fortunate NJ didn't sign any new defensemen in free agency. Devils have shown they'll find a spot for you if you earn it - if Yakovlev plays well in the preseason I could absolutely see them going with 13F/8D to start the season as they did last year. If he really deserves it they'll find a way to play him (maybe even dressing 7 D again and double-shifting Hall). Otherwise, it's not a bad spot if he starts the season in the AHL 8th on the depth charts as there would be a decent chance of him playing in NJ at some point in the year once injuries hit (though NJ was rather fortunate last season on defense). I don't think he can just head back to Russia if he doesn't make the team out of camp either.

As for Santini - how many restricted years are left after this deal? I feel like this should be something listed on .com, but I don't see it there.

Not to change the topic but why can’t Yak head back to RUS if he doesn’t make the NHL squad out of camp? If he just goes home it seems unlikely to me his KHL team will honor the NHL contract but I can very well be missing something.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
nobody really needs to go. However, Lovejoy needs to go back to being the extra DMan.

I am under the impression that Yakovlev will not make the NHL roster (and probably then go back to Russia)

I think they will open the season with 13F and 8D, unless something surprising happens. Hynes has shown a willingness to dress 11/7 and the 9th D guy on the depth chart is pretty weak - unless Yakovlev simply can't cut it, I think they'll want some insurance around.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Not to change the topic but why can’t Yak head back to RUS if he doesn’t make the NHL squad out of camp? If he just goes home it seems unlikely to me his KHL team will honor the NHL contract but I can very well be missing something.

I thought the NHL and KHL honor each other's contracts. He signed a 1-year deal with NJ.

I guess there's probably a way to get around that if he refused to show up to Binghamton and the Devils waive him and get out of the contract.

Seems like a hell of a risk though to expect to make an NHL roster out of camp when there are 7 guys already on the team and that the Devils could've added in free agency (he signed with us in May). If he shows he's close enough and can play in this league, why not spend some time in Binghamton and work on getting a callup?

I get at $70K in the minors he's likely taking a pay cut, but this is also his once-in-a-lifetime chance to play in the best league in the world and is he going to just give up on that if he has a poor showing at camp?

I don't know - I just assumed he'd stay either way this year and give it his best shot and reevaluate options between the NHL/KHL after this season.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Yakovlev has a European Assignment Clause. I believe this means that if he's assigned to the AHL, he can choose to return to Europe and play under his ELC in Russia and the Devils will be paying his contract. I don't think it will be very hard to find a team that won't want Yakovlev for free.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I know it's crazy, but I'd try Mueller with Vats - not because I think he's that good, but because I'm not sure where else he'd fit. Here's my reasoning...

1. I really like Greene with Severson. We've really got to reduce his minutes and they've paired relatively well in the past.
2. I don't feel like Butcher can handle 1st pairing minutes. I just don't. Pairing him with Santini or Lovejoy just makes sense. It helps them break out of the zone, which is probably their worst weaknesses.
3. I don't feel like I can count on Yakulev making the team, much less playing top pairing minutes.
That leaves Mueller. If he can hold up as well as Greene defensively on that 1st pairing (which while questionable, isn't THAT high of a hurdle), we may be OK shape.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think LD is pretty unpredictable. There's also Yakovlev who could surprise.

I think that's one of the more set things on the roster tbh. The left will consist of Greene, Mueller, and Butcher with some combination of the last two making up the 2nd and 3rd pairing LDs.

Well, I don't know. I just don't like to put two offensive Dmen to the second pair and two defensive Dmen to the third pair.

Maybe something like this:

Greene-Vatanen
Butcher-Santini
Müller-Severson

I like Santini's new contract. He has tools to be a good second pair Dman, though it's more likely that he is a third pair guy.

I honestly had that before I went with Mueller-Santini as the bottom. I'd just more than likely want the pairings you have.

Reactions: Verdoux

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I know it's crazy, but I'd try Mueller with Vats - not because I think he's that good, but because I'm not sure where else he'd fit. Here's my reasoning...

1. I really like Greene with Severson. We've really got to reduce his minutes and they've paired relatively well in the past.
2. I don't feel like Butcher can handle 1st pairing minutes. I just don't. Pairing him with Santini or Lovejoy just makes sense. It helps them break out of the zone, which is probably their worst weaknesses.
3. I don't feel like I can count on Yakulev making the team, much less playing top pairing minutes.
That leaves Mueller. If he can hold up as well as Greene defensively on that 1st pairing (which while questionable, isn't THAT high of a hurdle), we may be OK shape.

I'm not necessarily opposed to this, though just wanted to point out that NJ has gradually been cutting down Greene's minutes already the past few seasons:

'13-'14 - 24:35
'14-'15 - 23:33
'15-'16 - 22:57
'16-'17 - 21:57
'17-'18 - 21:07

They've knocked nearly 3 1/2 minutes off his ATOI over the past 5 seasons. If the bottom 4 continues to improve as expected (Butcher, Mueller, Santini & even Severson have yet to hit their peaks), that should allow them to keep bringing down Greene's TOI even if he is generally paired with Vatanen. Santini and Mueller should also begin to take some more PK time from Greene at some point.

Reactions: Billdo

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm not necessarily opposed to this, though just wanted to point out that NJ has gradually been cutting down Greene's minutes already the past few seasons:

They've knocked nearly 3 1/2 minutes off his ATOI over the past 5 seasons. If the bottom 4 continues to improve as expected (Butcher, Mueller, Santini & even Severson have yet to hit their peaks), that should allow them to keep bringing down Greene's TOI even if he is generally paired with Vatanen. Santini and Mueller should also begin to take some more PK time from Greene at some point.
I guess my other thought is that if Greene could make someone like Fayne look respectable, maybe Vatanen can do the same with Mueller.

I also expect the 3rd paring to get more ice time, taking away from the 1st pairing's minutes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

How much of that is just getting zero power play time anymore though? Not sure his 5-5 and 4-5 minutes have decreased all that much.

I guess my other thought is that if Greene could make someone like Fayne look respectable, maybe Vatanen can do the same with Mueller.

I also expect the 3rd paring to get more ice time, taking away from the 1st pairing's minutes.

I’d use the Kevin Dean with Scott Stevens comparison for something like that, but yeah you outline pretty much a best case scenario for the D with Mueller being a stay at home guy just good enough to ride shotgun with Vats.

This is more of a team thread discussion though, the Santini deal is newsworthy enough today.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Also exposes Mueller to the other team's star forwards way more often. Would rather try to shelter him a bit as he grows into a role of an everyday defenseman vs. throwing him to the wolves. Maybe he can play into the role this season, but I would be surprised to see NJ start with a Mueller-Vats pairing.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

This would be ideal IMO. If we can get away from riding Greene and Vatanen for 25+ mins a night and spread that out over three competent pairings we'll be better off.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I would love it if they just trot Mueller-Santini out as a bottom pairing for 82 games, and let their games develop and develop and develop... and next year we have a 3/4 defense pairing of 24 year olds that can play in every situation with confidence... for the next 10 years.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I'm surprised Santini got this many years and this much money. I hope it means he getting a chance to play every night and getting about 10-12 minutes a night. Please also mean Lovejoy is the 7th defenseman.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

He was still really laboring out there and terrible at the end of games. Next year needs to be a more precipitous drop in his minutes. He has to be under 20

And some back to backs he's going to need to be sat out of.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He was still really laboring out there and terrible at the end of games. Next year needs to be a more precipitous drop in his minutes. He has to be under 20

And some back to backs he's going to need to be sat out of.

I think his TOI will continue to come down this season, but I don't see them sitting him for back-to-backs. Are there any examples of any other teams doing this with older skaters? Let alone one with multiple years still on their contract?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I kind of want Butcher with Vatanen. We (likely) won’t spend as much time in our end trying to escape the smoke show.

I’m ready for the Molotov cocktails coming my way.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I kind of want Butcher with Vatanen. We (likely) won’t spend as much time in our end trying to escape the smoke show.

I’m ready for the Molotov cocktails coming my way.

It depends on the situation. If we're trailing or tied and pushing for a goal, I'm fine with loading up a pairing with them. I'd prefer a little more balance with the pairings at even strength though.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

I'd also add that Mueller is a pretty good skater and not terrible in his own zone, but definitely suffers from dumping the puck out of his own zone and giving it right back to the other team syndrome. Being paired with a good puck mover might help with that.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Kind of interesting to have four d-men on the right side making over a million. Anyone think somehow Lovejoy disappears or Severson gets traded?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad