Sanheim and Couturier Contracts and Futures?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Apparently goes for you too. Congratulations.
giphy.gif

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Couturier's game is based on his IQ, not his skating.

I wouldn't any problem with $9M per year for like 7 years for Couturier.

He's TOP10 center in the NHL, our franchise player, he deserves it.

I would like to get the cap up if we can to shave a year or 2 off .

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
For two guys that post daily... you guys are f*****. $10 million for a 29/30 yr old Couts until he's 35+ and $6 million for a kid that literally has not performed at all yet.. You two bitch and complain everyday about brutal contracts.... my god .... can I work for you two... We have a tight cap and you want to pay Couts $10 million a year for a player not even top 40 in the league are you nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously... love the guy but not more than $8 million which is still too much for a great player but a non elite player.

you dont understand how the league works! Couts next Contract will not be good for us. But he will get what he deserved on the last contract! HE was dead cheap for us the last years! Now he will be expensive. And in the last years of his contract he will likely not worth his contract.

In all american sports you can see this way of paying players. I will never understand it. But it is what it is!

If you want to be competitive you need to pay him, cause he will be worth the contract the next 3 or 4 years. After that it will be tricky. If you wanna rebuild, trade him now!

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
What probably won't help is that Barkov will also be a UFA next summer and he's going to get paid.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
What probably won't help is that Barkov will also be a UFA next summer and he's going to get paid.
No chance, If Barkov won't sign with Florida he will get traded Mark Stone style. I can't imagine them going Tavares or Panarin route at all. Florida ain't that dumb.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I really don’t know how you can just walk away from Couturier because you are afraid of a long term deal. He is insanely underpaid as this contract winds down.
To me the number starts at 9 per and 6 or 7 years. You just cannot replace what he brings to the rink every night. Pay the man. He deserves it
Couturier is too expensive let him walk! Meanwhile we are throwing money away at the likes of Laughton and other useless depth players in name of locker room presence. Time is a flat circle.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
you don't understand how the league works! Couts next Contract will not be good for us. But he will get what he deserved on the last contract! HE was dead cheap for us the last years! Now he will be expensive. And in the last years of his contract he will likely not worth his contract.

In all american sports you can see this way of paying players. I will never understand it. But it is what it is!

If you want to be competitive you need to pay him, cause he will be worth the contract the next 3 or 4 years. After that it will be tricky. If you wanna rebuild, trade him now!

Ironmanrulez.... the league doesn't make the contracts the players and the teams do. Lots of teams don't overpay on aging players in sports and trade away for other assets. If the Flyers choose to overpay that's their choice and hence why this thread was created. If Couts wants an 8 yr deal at 9+ million or even 8+ million at 8 years do the Flyers draw a line in the sand and decide to move on knowing that the contract will hurt the team in years 5,6,7 and 8 of the deal?

If that's the case I would entertain trading him at that point to see what you would get in return. If the return is not as good as you'd like and your willing to punt the problem 5,6,7,8 years from now then that's a decision you have to make but by no means are the Flyers forced to do this its their choice and hence why some teams struggle with the cap and others don't. Just to be clear Couts deal at the time was more than fair.... he overperformed the deal but there's lots of times where the team suffers in those types of contracts because your paying based on future performance and the player struggles during the deal (look no further than Provy, Ghost and Konecny)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
By the time you get to the out years of a Couts contract, the cap will be substantially higher and the AVV a lower % of the Cap.
So they can mitigate some of the risk, either pay more upfront, or limit the length.
One reason "rich" teams frontload the actual money is to make the contract attractive to bad teams who want to reach the league minimum without spending too much real money.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
This discussion reminds of LeClair....when he was scoring 50 goals a season he was on a cheap contract. Paid him on his next one....then he started to have injuries. But he was essentially rewarded on the back end. With Fletch at the helm probably best to pay Coots too bc doubt he can orchestrate a transformative trade for him even if he is one of our few blue chips we can leverage the way we did Richards and Carter..

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Someone will crash a Brinks truck into Couts bank account. It may as well be us. We won't have anything comparable to replace him
SC played 45 games and was 18/23/41 or .911 points per game while being the top defensive forward on the club and one of the best in the game while playing on a lousy team. He isn’t McDavid but he’s pretty damn good. Guys like that get paid not traded.

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016
I’d trade Coots and get a hall of a return. Coots is a great player but I’d be hesitant to hitch my wagon to him long term (more than 5 or 6 years) given his age and that we’re pretty far away from seriously contending.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I’d trade Coots and get a hall of a return. Coots is a great player but I’d be hesitant to hitch my wagon to him long term (more than 5 or 6 years) given his age and that we’re pretty far away from seriously contending.
I agree for the most part.... If he would sign to a good fair contract then by all means he's been a great Flyer you keep him but otherwise I would look to see if you could get a solid return (Montreal says Hi) and then use that to try and land a younger star like Eichel. NYR firing Quinn definitely helps our chances imo. Fans like to overpay then 3 yrs into the deal their crying about how its ruined our franchise. Ideally you would have EIchel and Couts unfortunately we have Hayes that pretty much eliminates that unfortunately.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
LOL at the Coots is about to hit a cliff in year 5 talk. Yes he has been hurt but speed isn't his top game. Brains is. Players like that play longer. Look at Kopitar he was still Kopitar age 25 at age 33.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
LOL at the Coots is about to hit a cliff in year 5 talk. Yes he has been hurt but speed isn't his top game. Brains is. Players like that play longer. Look at Kopitar he was still Kopitar age 25 at age 33.
Yeah, there are many examples. Bergeron is still a nearly point per game player at 35. Toews had the best offensive season of his career at 30. Those players usually age pretty well because they have the hockey sense to compensate.
I would have no problem with offering Couturier a 7 year contract if the AAV isn't outrageously high.
I'd say $8-9m for 7 years would be a good deal for both sides.

Reactions: Curufinwe

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Yeah, there are many examples. Bergeron is still a nearly point per game player at 35. Toews had the best offensive season of his career at 30. Those players usually age pretty well because they have the hockey sense to compensate.
I would have no problem with offering Couturier a 7 year contract if the AAV isn't outrageously high.
I'd say $8-9m for 7 years would be a good deal for both sides.
Kopi got 7x10 at approx Coots age. I'd be fine with that.

And yes it's funny that the Selke guys are the ones this pertains to. They all seem to age well.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Kopi got 7x10 at approx Coots age. I'd be fine with that.

And yes it's funny that the Selke guys are the ones this pertains to. They all seem to age well.
Kopi had the cup bonus in his contract too. Anything under 9 would be a steal for the flyers.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
already 25 years old and still very iffy on D. Very soft all around player and his stick work or shot blocking skill is just average. Does not bring much on PK.

we should resign him but I would not raise that salary by a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->