Value of: San Jose's 1st+ for a young center

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
In the hypothetical world where the pick lands outside the top-8, I'd probably pull the trigger on this.

The issue with a move prior to the lottery is that the pick could end up being Lafreniere/Byfield and the Sens aren't going to give up the chance (even as small a chance as it ends up being) at a franchise level forward.

Then why did the OP make the thread? If the pick isn’t going be moved? Trevor Zegras is a fine centerman and equal value for a mystery box pick. This pick may not even be top 10 end of the season, but I’m willing to give value for value and roll the dice.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Ducks offer Lundesröm + Comtois

I can get behind that as well. But I think they would want Zegras more. It fits their gameplan better with growing a top 6 young center with massive amounts of potential.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
OK, lets hear what young center you think you can get for a 7OA pick.

Valuewise, I think thats all you get. 50-60 point centers.
Domi/Kotkaniemi are certainly worth that.

Don't bother with him.

27 y old 50-60 point C Derek Stepan+Raanta were traded for #7 + De Angelo.

Domi is worth more than Stepan at the time IMO given his age. He'd certainly fetch #7-10 OA in value, probably more.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Then why did the OP make the thread? If the pick isn’t going be moved? Trevor Zegras is a fine centerman and equal value for a mystery box pick. This pick may not even be top 10 end of the season, but I’m willing to give value for value and roll the dice.

The OP states that the pick would be between 7-10 (hence post-lottery).

If that's where the pick lands than Zegras is a fantastic target, I just wouldn't move the pick until after the lottery.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Don't bother with him.

Domi is worth more than Stepan at the time IMO given his age. He'd certainly fetch #7-10 OA in value, probably more.

Highly unlikely. This draft isn’t 2017 in a weak draft compared to 2015. This draft is McDavids year best in the past 5 years. I can see why Ottawa won’t move it unless over payment. You’re gonna have to offer better than that for a top 10 pick in this one bud.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Highly unlikely. This draft isn’t 2017 in a weak draft compared to 2015. This draft is McDavids year best in the past 5 years. I can see why Ottawa won’t move it unless over payment. You’re gonna have to offer better than that for a top 10 pick in this one bud.
Nobody is going to offer more than Max Domi for #7-10 OA in that draft or any draft. This ain't no 2003 draft.

People are delusional.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No one will.

Thread is asking who they can get for 7OA, not the other way around.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

Don't bother with him.

Domi is a fine player but why wouldn't an organisation draft their own, cheaper, younger player instead? Also if NYR didn't whiff on their #7 selection, I would argue that this would have been an absolutely terrible trade for Arizona in the first place.

Also I don't think you'll find any team in the top 10 (in the deepest draft in while 2020>2017) that will trade their pick for Domi. He's also in line for a new contract soon and Melnyk won't want to fork out the cash. You can get a first for Domi but I highly doubt anything in the top 10.

Kotkaniemi you could make a case for but I would counter saying that if Montreal would accept that deal, then they clearly value this years draft more, so what does that say for Ottawa?

I stand by my statements, keep the picks and move on. I don't want anything MTL has to offer would be a better way to phrase it.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Well thats a fair opinion. Saying Montreal has nothing that is worth a top 10 pick is dumb.

There isn't a single player/prospect that would be traded straight up for a top 10 pick in this draft. You can combine picks/players to get the value closer but even offering Kotkaniemi straight up for 7th overall in this year's draft is an easy no for me.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
There isn't a single player/prospect that would be traded straight up for a top 10 pick in this draft. You can combine picks/players to get the value closer but even offering Kotkaniemi straight up for 7th overall in this year's draft is an easy no for me.
I stand by my initial comment.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
The real question is why would a team who developed a young, skilled top 6 Center would turn around and trade him for a draft pick- therefor restarting the process all over again but with risks that the drafted player doesn’t pan out as well as the established young top 6 center going the other way.
See Buffalo and Ryan O'Reilly lol

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Why do you say Zegras is available when he's clearly not?

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Nobody is going to offer more than Max Domi for #7-10 OA in that draft or any draft. This ain't no 2003 draft.

People are delusional.

Yeah and using hindsight, teams wouldn't trade you the Pettersson's, Makar's, Hughes etc. that they drafted in the top 10 for Domi either... You're delusional if you think a smallish winger playing center who averages 50-55 points a year (72 last year being his outlier) will get you a top 10 pick in a very very deep draft. But sure.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I just hope for the sake of the Sens is that they get two of the three top picks in the 2020 NHL Draft.

I find Byfield to be just the right fit for the Senators too, plus there's nobody the Sens can get that's a number one centre, they might as well hold on to both firsts that are bound to be, best-case-scenario, top three picks.

What I could also see is the Sens drafting Rossi, he's a super underrated playmaker that plays like he's big.

I think Lafreniere is a better fit with the Red Wings, plus the Sens are loaded with Left Wings.

Tkachuk-Byfield-Batherson
Duclair-White-Namestnikov

That's a solid top six.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yeah and using hindsight, teams wouldn't trade you the Pettersson's, Makar's, Hughes etc. that they drafted in the top 10 for Domi either... You're delusional if you think a smallish winger playing center who averages 50-55 points a year (72 last year being his outlier) will get you a top 10 pick in a very very deep draft. But sure.

He'll not be getting that because he is not available. He certainly is worth a #7-10 OA pick in this draft.

You are the one coming here quoting everyone saying "Ottawa should not be doing that... I don't agree with OP", as if it was helping the conversation. You have the right to say Ottawa should not be moving the pick for a young C. I have the right to say Ottawa would not get anything better than Domi for that pick (because they would not). Domi is 24 y old, entering his prime, and producing at a 55 points rate after getting 72 last year. He has more value than a frickin late-mid-first round pick in any draft. Look at what Brayden Schenn got a few years back.

If it conforts you, I agree with the fact Ottawa should not be trading for a good young C for that pick. The team will be bad for the next 3 years, does not make any sense to expedite anything. Fans have already accepted team will be mediocre in the near future, the attendance is now under 15 000/game and continues to dip. Dorion could not do that anyways, because he would have to pay real money to Domi and Melnyk won't allow that. Team is spending less than 45 millions in real money this year when the salary floor is at 60.2 millions. No way they will give Domi the 6.5-7 millions he will ask for long term this summer. Makes no sense, we can all agree on that.

Edit: Attendance is now under 13 000/game according to ESPN.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
lol strome is riding high on panarin. howden and andersson are both nothing (like literally nothing). it's a lot of crap for a top pick.

And you added a 2nd from the sens too? Get real :laugh:
You won't believe it, but that's the real bern. :nod:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
In the hypothetical world where the pick lands outside the top-8, I'd probably pull the trigger on this.

The issue with a move prior to the lottery is that the pick could end up being Lafreniere/Byfield and the Sens aren't going to give up the chance (even as small a chance as it ends up being) at a franchise level forward.
Zegras is > 9th pick and I"d say he's better than #5.

You guys are being unrealistic if you think you land a legit young C for a pick around #8.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Why do you say Zegras is available when he's clearly not?

Because I have an opinion. And I already explained why I would move him. It may not be agreed by the majority on him being moved. But I’ll move em for San Jose first at the deadline unprotected.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Did you read who I was responding to? Or you just pulling stuff out your ass? Curious if you even read the conversation
I had to go and double check, yep I read the conversation. I also read the OP. You want to make a thread about how you're not moving the pick, go ahead. This thread is asking what young centers would be available for the 7th overall. I think both Domi and Danault are probably worth more than a top 7-9 pick, but even if you don't like the players, thats about where the value is.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I had to go and double check, yep I read the conversation. I also read the OP. You want to make a thread about how you're not moving the pick, go ahead. This thread is asking what young centers would be available for the 7th overall. I think both Domi and Danault are probably worth more than a top 7-9 pick, but even if you don't like the players, thats about where the value is.

Apparently you didn’t. The person I quoted was acting like all drafts are the same. Using an example of 2017 Stepan and Raanta trade. Which is in accurate. Because that draft was weak compared to this one. So there’s different circumstances on why 7th overall was available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad