Value of: San Jose's 1st+ for a young center

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The real question is why would a team who developed a young, skilled top 6 Center would turn around and trade him for a draft pick- therefor restarting the process all over again but with risks that the drafted player doesn’t pan out as well as the established young top 6 center going the other way.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I can't see this going particularly well, but it's an interesting idea.

The player coming back would have to be 25/26 or younger, likely locked up medium/long term (or an RFA this off-season who can sign long-term). Obviously the Senators would be adding, there's a lot in the cupboard in the way of picks and prospects that could be added for the right guy.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Not many teams would trade a top-two 25-26 year old or younger center r for a 7-10 selection. They are simply too valuable of an asset in today's NHL.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I can't see this going particularly well, but it's an interesting idea.

The player coming back would have to be 25/26 or younger, likely locked up medium/long term (or an RFA this off-season who can sign long-term). Obviously the Senators would be adding, there's a lot in the cupboard in the way of picks and prospects that could be added for the right guy.

Someone like Kadri but a bit better?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A young promising talent at center already drafted but trending well is worth more than the Sharks pick. Plus, who trades that kind of pick when you don't know what the pick actually is?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Better and younger. My first thought was honestly Hertl, but his contract situation makes things tough and I'm not sure how much more the Sharks would want on top of the pick.

Better and younger is correct but it's very rare to see a 5-10 range pick traded for a proven young talent at center. Risk management is a two way street

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Dylan Strome?
Not that the Hawks want to, but it's going to be hard for them to sign all three of Lehner/Kubalik/Strome this summer and Strome is the most expendable of the three. If it's 6 or 7 i'd definitely consider it, and if Holtz and Lundell are on the board, it would be a tough call.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthProbert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As a team with no money this really doesnt make sense for the sens, they need as many good players on ELC's as they can. Also they are no where close to competing for a championship let alone playoff spot this rebuild is going to be long and they need to take as many swings at home runs as they can. No players will ever voluntarily come to Ottawa so it has to be via the draft. Hopefully build a winning culture as a group and have players want to stay.

So I dont think this really makes sense for the Sens or a team with a player of that caliber.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Not many teams would trade a top-two 25-26 year old or younger center r for a 7-10 selection. They are simply too valuable of an asset in today's NHL.

That’s false. Sharks first is lottery enabled. If it’s unprotected? Someone would definitely move what Sens are looking for.

From a Anaheim perspective? I would move Zegras for it unprotected. But he’s not established yet. And he’s still not ready for the NHL yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad