San Jose Sharks have high-end talent but little depth

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
freddie_hamilton_san_jose_010714.jpg
Photo: Freddie Hamilton has NHL-caliber skill, but a poor training camp has relegated him to the AHL for now. (courtesy of John Russell/NHLI via Getty Images)

The first few weeks of the the 2014-15 season have provided an early glimpse of what San Jose Shark fans can expect going forward during the youth movement in San Jose. General manager Doug Wilson has not shied away from injecting young, inexperienced players into his roster.

With Tomas Hertl, Chris Tierney, and Mirco Mueller all currently playing with the big club (Nos. 1, 2, and 3 in Hockey’s Future’s Top 20 Sharks Prospect Rankings), the top of the prospect pool has been chipped away, and most of the immediate talent has been exposed.… read more

The post San Jose Sharks have high-end talent but little depth appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Craig, have you been watching Ryan play over the past two seasons? His defensive game has improved a ton and while he's never going to be a physical presence his skating, stick skills and defensive awareness allow him to be very effective defensively and his size hasn't been an issue at all for him.

As for Goldobin, I've been able to watch a couple of his HFIK games and while he's made mistakes (which should be expected) I've been nothing but impressed with him. Going from being the offensive catalyst in the OHL to playing for a very structured team isn't an easy transition for a 19yo and from what I've seen his effort to play a 200 foot game has improved game by game.

It's going to take a while for him to eliminate all of the bad habits he learned playing for a horrible Sarnia team (like trying to do things by himself) as well a learn to work just as hard w/o the puck as he does with it but I'm pretty happy with what I've seen.

I've also been able to watch the CHLers (Boudreau, Sadowy, Chartier, Vanier, Lebanc, Bergman) play and I still love the 2014 draft class (and I'm still not happy that the org didn't sign Baillie). Boudreau also looked like a different player this season prior to his injury.

Kuraly has also been outstanding so far this year. I know he wants top play at Miami as long as he can but if he continues this level of play all season his game is ready for the pros.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A mistake-ridden article, both in facts:

Hertl, Tierney, and Mueller (the latter two of which are not guaranteed to continue playing with the Sharks after nine games)

[Mueller's] shot is a huge area of concern, as is his severe lack of offensive ability, and it will likely be one of the reasons he could eventually be sent to the AHL.

and in basic sentence structure:

Eventually Hertl could be moved to the middle, but with Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski, Patrick Marleau, and Logan Couture all in the mix it will be tough for any prospect, let alone one of the best in the league like Hertl, to break into that role in the next few years.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
freddie_hamilton_san_jose_010714.jpg
Photo: Freddie Hamilton has NHL-caliber skill, but a poor training camp has relegated him to the AHL for now. (courtesy of John Russell/NHLI via Getty Images)

The first few weeks of the the 2014-15 season have provided an early glimpse of what San Jose Shark fans can expect going forward during the youth movement in San Jose. General manager Doug Wilson has not shied away from injecting young, inexperienced players into his roster.

With Tomas Hertl, Chris Tierney, and Mirco Mueller all currently playing with the big club (Nos. 1, 2, and 3 in Hockey’s Future’s Top 20 Sharks Prospect Rankings), the top of the prospect pool has been chipped away, and most of the immediate talent has been exposed.… read more

The post San Jose Sharks have high-end talent but little depth appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

I'm sorry but this is a pretty terrible read. Others have pointed out facts plus grammar errors, but for me the kicker is that I don't feel you do much to really justify your assertion that the Sharks have little depth. In fact, right off the bat you contradict yourself: "With Tomas Hertl, Chris Tierney, and Mirco Mueller all currently playing with the big club (Nos. 1, 2, and 3 in Hockey’s Future’s Top 20 Sharks Prospect Rankings), the top of the prospect pool has been chipped away, and most of the immediate talent has been exposed. However, there is still tremendous depth hidden beneath the surface."

whlscowt

A mistake-ridden article, both in facts:

and in basic sentence structure:

I'll take the heat on sentence structure, but it bothers me about the facts considering how much time I put into this, but I know what you're saying. We have a new editor and I'm not sure what's going on. This is what I sent in.

"Without real star power, it’s easy to dismiss the San Jose defensive prospect group, but make no mistake this is one of the most groomed, and promising future bluelines in all of hockey. As a nineteen-year-old, Mirco Mueller is impressing the hockey world; he looks like a greybeard out there for the San Jose Sharks, and is completely poised with the puck, and looks strong in his own end. His shot is a huge area of concern as is the severe lack of offensive ability, and it will likely be one of the reasons he is sent down if that does happen. Even so, Mueller has the potential to be a top pairing defender."

whlscowt

I'm sorry but this is a pretty terrible read. Others have pointed out facts plus grammar errors, but for me the kicker is that I don't feel you do much to really justify your assertion that the Sharks have little depth. In fact, right off the bat you contradict yourself: "With Tomas Hertl, Chris Tierney, and Mirco Mueller all currently playing with the big club (Nos. 1, 2, and 3 in Hockey’s Future’s Top 20 Sharks Prospect Rankings), the top of the prospect pool has been chipped away, and most of the immediate talent has been exposed. However, there is still tremendous depth hidden beneath the surface."

I didn't title it, I'm sorry to hear that though man. A lot of what I sent in (it was probably just as ******) was changed for some reason.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I didn't title it, I'm sorry to hear that though man. A lot of what I sent in (it was probably just as ******) was changed for some reason.

That sucks - sorry to hear. Yeah, you should be reaming your editor or whoever changed it, because the title and your content contradict each other. Sorry if I was harsh, please forward my comments to the person who changed things!

chris39bong

Hey Craig, contrary to everyone else, I thought this was a great read. Your insight is better than most other (Sharks) writers I've seen since I started visiting HF back in the early 2000's.

I was a little surprised by the title of the article based on my own preconceptions of the Sharks prospect pool. I always felt the Sharks had good, not great, depth but lacked high-end talent (outside of Goldobin). I guess throwing Hertl or even Nieto in the mix helps, but I don't feel that Sharks prospects such as Tierney and even Mueller are considered high-end talents around the league. I think they've looked good so far this season, but I'm pretty sure neither were on HF's recent top 50 prospects lists.

One big takeaway I had was your opinion that the Sharks have one of the better defensive prospect pools in the league, despite no huge names jumping out. I haven't seen any of the kids play myself and most of those guys don't get much attention outside SJ as being legitimate prospects, so it was nice to read the opposite.

Keep up the good work!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad