San Jose Sharks Expansion Draft Game

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
By going 8+1, we expose Labanc and Balcers to protect Simek. I don’t think this is a wise choice. Simek is also easily replaceable. Plus, with all the #4 defenseman available there is a good chance that Seattle selects whichever of Gambrell or Donato is left unprotected.
Honestly, that would be my #1A choice. Protect Burns and 3 additional forwards that'd be 3rd or 4th liners if not outright fodder and basically force Seattle to take Simek.

We're in the position where we can bait the hook with the player of our choice even. Say Wilson really, really wanted to get rid of, oh, Meier. If we protected 7 other forwards, we'd almost be dictating to Seattle: take this guy. Guess that's the "benefit" of being talent poor.

Reactions: themelkman

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Handcuffed with Karlsson and Vlasic, which is an unfortunate waste of two protections.

Go 4x4.

F: Kane, Hertl, Meier, Couture
D: Burns, Simek (see above)
G: Korenar

Meaning Labanc or Balcers is taken. Both are serviceable but replaceable in free agency.

Why on earth would we go 4x4? We don’t have a single defenseman worth protecting.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I would like to see the Sharks protect

Kane
Couture
Meier
Hertl
Labanc
Balcers
Donato

Karlsson (because we have no choice)
Vlassic (see above)
Simek

Korenar

Expose Burns and hopefully Seattle takes him and gives us some space to work with. But they will probably take somebody like Neito or Gambrell.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Interesting that almost everyone in this thread would protect Couture, which runs in stark contrast to just about every GDT I’ve read from this season.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Leave this place and never return...:mad:
Balcers is the 5'4" dude in the land of midgets. To them, he's Yao Ming. :laugh:

(He's been a bright spot, for sure. Sort of sad that a waiver wire pickup is regarded as one of our best forwards. :cry:)

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Why on earth would we go 4x4? We don’t have a single defenseman worth protecting.
Have you seen our forwards?

Seriously, there are few players on this roster that I think will make up a core for the (just don't call it) rebuild. And, I like Simek's effort even if many consider him between just another warm body to stale garbage.

Reactions: Sandisfan

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
I would like to see the Sharks protect

Kane
Couture
Meier
Hertl
Labanc
Balcers
Donato

Karlsson (because we have no choice)
Vlassic (see above)
Simek

Korenar

Expose Burns and hopefully, Seattle takes him and gives us some space to work with. But they will probably take somebody like Neito or Gambrell.

My thought is hopefully Seattle take Jones and somehow we can trade Burns for a bag of pucks is still worth getting rid of Burns and of his high salary. He has been making many bonehead plays and no-look passing which irritates the hell out of me.
At least EK65 can move the puck and set up the other players. With Burns, he will choose to shoot 1st even when there are 3 opponent players in his face. This usually ends up with the puck being ricochet back after hitting the opponent players and lead to too many odd-man chances.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
My thought is hopefully Seattle take Jones and somehow we can trade Burns for a bag of pucks is still worth getting rid of Burns and of his high salary. He has been making many bonehead plays and no-look passing which irritates the hell out of me.
At least EK65 can move the puck and set up the other players. With Burns, he will choose to shoot 1st even when there are 3 opponent players in his face. This usually ends up with the puck being ricochet back after hitting the opponent players and lead to too many odd-man chances.

I don't think the Seattle Thunderbirds would take Jones at this point.

Reactions: magic school bus

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Burns is still a good player but he is 36 and no longer worth his contract. He will be a decent NHLer during the last year but it's time for us to move on.

Reactions: themelkman

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Have you seen our forwards?

Seriously, there are few players on this roster that I think will make up a core for the (just don't call it) rebuild. And, I like Simek's effort even if many consider him between just another warm body to stale garbage.

Yeah, I have, and they’re cheaper, younger, and better than our defensemen. Simek is worth absolutely nothing. A young third line winger like Donato is worth something.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Id give up anything and everything i could, outside of our 1st this yr, to have Seattle take one of Burns, Jones or EK.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Two of those do not belong on that list and you’re missing the biggest name of that list.
In my opinion all these guys belong on this list. Seattle's not taking Vlasic. Hes not as valuable as Burns or EK. Karlssons contract is incredibly constricting for a team looking to "refresh". Burns is terrible defensively. Terrible, and he's constantly turning the Puck over to boot. I've been all for moving him to forward for a few seasons now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad