3. Musty
  4. Mukhamadullin
  5. Bystedt
  6. Lund
  7. Havelid
  8. Gushchin
  9. Halttunen
  10. Thurn
I probably should more Thurn up to 6 or 7 but I value ceiling a lot more than NHL readiness. Getting a 3rd pairing or bottom 6 winger does not change the trajectory of the franchise at least at this stage. When competing for a cup those qualities are much more important in prospects.

Reactions: Hodge

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I went with Guschin here. I think he has 2nd line potential if everything goes right and I was seriously impressed by his shot. He is close to being ready and so I think that puts him ahead of everyone else on the list. I still think Bordeleau is ahead of him because he could potentially be a 2nd line center and that has to be valued above second line winger but they are close.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Here is my top 10.

1. Smith
  2. Eklund
  3. Musty
  4. Mukhamadullin
  5. Bystedt
  6. Lund
  7. Havelid
  8. Gushchin
  9. Halttunen
  10. Thurn
I probably should more Thurn up to 6 or 7 but I value ceiling a lot more than NHL readiness. Getting a 3rd pairing or bottom 6 winger does not change the trajectory of the franchise at least at this stage. When competing for a cup those qualities are much more important in prospects.
8/10 brought in by Grier in 12 months on the job. Amazing what can be accomplished when you hire experienced professionals to run your scouting department instead of unqualified family members.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I really like Guschin but I have to go with Lund ahead of him because of Lund's combination of upside and broader range of successful possible outcomes.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
8/10 brought in by Grier in 12 months on the job. Amazing what can be accomplished when you hire experienced professionals to run your scouting department instead of unqualified family members.

To be a little fair, Grier had a fairly high 1st that he traded up for more swings and two 1sts, one very high, in a stacked draft. So, while I do agree with you that his scouting department appears to be doing far better (though so far the only evidence we have is Bystedt — we have no real idea how the other guys will do yet), DW Jr. had fairly low draft picks with which to work. If Eklund, Bordeleau, Guschin all work out, that’s actually not terrible.

But I will say that I’ve been more impressed with not only Grier’s staff’s scouting (again, Bystedt as a prime example), but their ability to find a few diamonds in the rough from other teams and aggressively go out and get them.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
To be a little fair, Grier had a fairly high 1st that he traded up for more swings and two 1sts, one very high, in a stacked draft. So, while I do agree with you that his scouting department appears to be doing far better (though so far the only evidence we have is Bystedt — we have no real idea how the other guys will do yet), DW Jr. had fairly low draft picks with which to work. If Eklund, Bordeleau, Guschin all work out, that’s actually not terrible.

But I will say that I’ve been more impressed with not only Grier’s staff’s scouting (again, Bystedt as a prime example), but their ability to find a few diamonds in the rough from other teams and aggressively go out and get them.

Been hearing the buzz words "league-wide player scouting" lately. Best used to describe the Avs who went out and identified guys like Toews, Girard, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Kuemper and it won them a Cup. It's not all about prospect scouting, there is a pool of very good players in the league, you just gotta find them and put them in the right situation and unlock their full potential. That's why I have hope for Zadina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad