San Francisco Seals v. NHL

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
In doing research for a paper I am writing for my Sports and Society class I came across this article which discusses franchise movement court cases specifically the Raiders case. It also mentions the case of the San Francisco Seals v. National Hockey League, which might relate to the discussion on here earlier about a teams chances of fighting the league in court if the league blocks a proposed move. While there was a lot of mention of the more famous Davis case there was no mention of this case. Apparently the decision, which allowed the league to block the Seals move to Vancouver, still applies to the NHL (although I'm not sure if that is because it deals with the NHL explicitly or it just hasn't been challenged).

It's an academic article that was peer reviewed and appeared in the Fall 1997 addition of Antitrust Bulletin. I'm also assuming that the San Francisco Seals mentioned are the same team known on the ice as the California Seals. Here is what the article said about the case:

Before the Raiders case, San Francisco Seals, Ltd. v. National Hockey League, et al.2 was the prevailing antitrust case involving relocation restrictions in professional sports. In this case, the National Hockey League (NHL) was ruled to be a "single entity" and hence not in violation of antitrust law since a firm cannot conspire with itself. The Seals decision continues to apply to the NHL, but was rejected in both the Raiders case and a case involving the San Diego Clippers and the National Basketball Association.
II. The San Francisco Seals case and the single entity argument

The issue before the court in Seals was whether the NHL could lawfully prevent a member franchise from relocating its team from one city to another, in this case, from San Francisco to Vancouver. The Seals organization filed suit against the NHL claiming that the league's prohibition violated both sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act. The Seals asserted that the league's constitution violated section 1 by prohibiting clubs from relocating their operations. The section 2 claim rested on the argument that the relocation request was denied in an attempt to keep the San Francisco market in the NHL and thereby discourage the formation of a rival team or league in that location. The court ruled that the Seals did not have standing for a section 2 claim, since the team was not a member of the allegedly harmed group.5 We focus our attention on the section 1 claim.

In ruling on the section 1 claim, Judge Curtis established that the relevant market for the antitrust claim was the "production of professional hockey games before live audiences . . . in the United States and Canada."6 He further concluded that, within this market, member teams of the NHL did not compete in an economic sense. Because the Seals organization intended to maintain its membership in the league, it was in no way in competition with the league and its other members. Instead, Curtis found:

As a member team, [the Seals] will continue cooperating with the defendants in pursuit of [the league's] main purpose, i.e., producing sporting events of uniformly high quality appropriately scheduled as to both time and location so as to assure all members of the league the best financial return. In this respect, the plaintiff and defendants are acting together as one single business enterprise, competing against other similarly organized professional leagues.7

Curtis went on to argue that the very nature of the Sherman Act requires there be at least two independent business entities before one can find a conspiracy or collaboration in restraint of trade. Despite the fact that the individual member teams of the NHL are independently owned, finding that the league operated as a single entity precluded the possibility of conspiracy.

In dismissing the plaintiff's legal reliances, Curtis continued to emphasize that the member franchises were not economic competitors in the relevant market, although he acknowledged that they may "compete economically, to a greater or lesser degree, in some other market not relevant to our present inquiry."8 He gave no further indication as to what those margins of competition might be. Presumably, such margins might include competition for a common base of fans and live ticket receipts when two teams are located in the same geographic region. This is clearly the inference drawn in Raiders. Such competition would have been irrelevant in Seals since no other NHL team was located in Vancouver at the time.
Here's the Link but You probably have to have access to Proquest to read the full article.

So two questions I have for those that might be more knowledgeable about this case.

1. Does anyone have anymore information on the case? This is the first I have ever heard about the case and am interested in hearing more about it.

2. How would this decision any effect any hypothetical case against the league challenging a block of a franchise relocation?

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
The business was named San Francisco Seals Limited prior to having joined the NHL, and may have continued to use the name for some time while part of the NHL.

The California Seals/Oakland Seals/California Golden Seals began life in 1961 as the San Francisco Seals of the Western Hockey League (a minor pro league unrelated to the current-day major junior league). They weren't really an 'expansion' club per se: they changed affiliation from WHL to NHL, but the club itself, the business, was still the same legal entity.

Within their first season in the NHL there were rumours that the Seals would move to Vancouver, as they couldn't get an arena deal in San Francisco and were drawing very poorly in Oakland (the Seals had been the Oakland Oaks biggest rival in the WHL; it would be like moving the Flames to Edmonton, calling them Alberta Flames, and expecting Edmontonians to start cheering for them...).

Owner Barry van Gerbig went into discussions with the NHL BoG, said he wanted to move the team to Vancouver, but the BoG told him he couldn't, they wouldn't let him. NHL clubs were bound to the NHL's own rules, which said (still say...) club relocations had to be approved by the BoG.

van Gerbig was obviously quite upset at being told what he could and couldn't do with his business so he took the NHL to court over it. The NHL won. van Gerbig said "F this BS, F you guys" (metaphorically, anyway) and sold the club to Charlie Finley in 1970 ('69?).

Finley then made the club a league laughingstock and got the hell out of the biz in '74, in much the same fashion as van Gerbig. Problem was van Gerbig found someone to buy the team: Finley couldn't find anyone. The NHL paid him out, operated the franchise for a couple years (much as the Expos were run by MLB in their last seasons), eventually selling it to the Gunds and letting them move the club to Cleveland.

Clarence Beeks

May 4, 2006
In the Deep South
In doing research for a paper I am writing for my Sports and Society class I came across this article which discusses franchise movement court cases specifically the Raiders case. It also mentions the case of the San Francisco Seals v. National Hockey League, which might relate to the discussion on here earlier about a teams chances of fighting the league in court if the league blocks a proposed move. While there was a lot of mention of the more famous Davis case there was no mention of this case. Apparently the decision, which allowed the league to block the Seals move to Vancouver, still applies to the NHL (although I'm not sure if that is because it deals with the NHL explicitly or it just hasn't been challenged).

It's an academic article that was peer reviewed and appeared in the Fall 1997 addition of Antitrust Bulletin. I'm also assuming that the San Francisco Seals mentioned are the same team known on the ice as the California Seals. Here is what the article said about the case:

Here's the Link but You probably have to have access to Proquest to read the full article.

So two questions I have for those that might be more knowledgeable about this case.

1. Does anyone have anymore information on the case? This is the first I have ever heard about the case and am interested in hearing more about it.

2. How would this decision any effect any hypothetical case against the league challenging a block of a franchise relocation?

The only way that this would really effect any hypothetical case against the NHL would be if the NHL were sued in the Central District of California. If they were sued anywhere else, it wouldn't have any effect at all. The only reason it is even mentioned in the Raiders case is because the two suits were filed in the same court.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
The only way that this would really effect any hypothetical case against the NHL would be if the NHL were sued in the Central District of California. If they were sued anywhere else, it wouldn't have any effect at all. The only reason it is even mentioned in the Raiders case is because the two suits were filed in the same court.
Actually, not just the Central District of California - but anywhere in the west covered by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

The Ninth Circuit upheld that the District Court ruling that the NFL was not a Single Entity. Any action under the Ninth Circuit would have Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission v National Football League (The Al Davis/Raiders case) as precedent within the court.

If you care for the gory details:

http://www2.bc.edu/~yen/Sports/LA Coliseum v NFL.doc

Clarence Beeks

May 4, 2006
In the Deep South
Actually, not just the Central District of California - but anywhere in the west covered by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

The Ninth Circuit upheld that the District Court ruling that the NFL was not a Single Entity. Any action under the Ninth Circuit would have Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission v National Football League (The Al Davis/Raiders case) as precedent within the court.

If you care for the gory details:

http://www2.bc.edu/~yen/Sports/LA Coliseum v NFL.doc

Sorry, but that isn't exactly accurate. Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commn. v. National Football League, 726 F.2d 1381 (9th Cir. 1984), examines San Francisco Seals, Ltd. v. National Hockey League, 379 F.Supp 996 (C.D. Cal. 1974), while recognizing the single entity principle, does not adopt the holding of San Francisco Seals as its holding. As a result, you can say that Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commn. is binding precedent for the Ninth Circuit, but you can't say that San Francisco Seals is binding precedent.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Sorry, but that isn't exactly accurate. Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commn. v. National Football League, 726 F.2d 1381 (9th Cir. 1984), examines San Francisco Seals, Ltd. v. National Hockey League, 379 F.Supp 996 (C.D. Cal. 1974), while recognizing the single entity principle, does not adopt the holding of San Francisco Seals as its holding. As a result, you can say that Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commn. is binding precedent for the Ninth Circuit, but you can't say that San Francisco Seals is binding precedent.
That's what I was saying - sorry if it wasn't clear.

LA Memorial Coliseum Commission - affirmed by the 9th Circuit - is the prevailing precedent.

Clarence Beeks

May 4, 2006
In the Deep South
That's what I was saying - sorry if it wasn't clear.

LA Memorial Coliseum Commission - affirmed by the 9th Circuit - is the prevailing precedent.

Gotcha, I see what you were saying. LAMCC is precedent in the Ninth Circuit, SFS is precedent only in the C.D. Cal. That's what I was trying to say in my OP. Sorry if I wasn't clear either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad