GDT: San Antonio Rampage @ OKC Barons, Saturday 12/15 6PM MDT

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
You guys think Arco will have a chance on the big club when play returns?

Very unlikely IMO.

He's got some skill which was pretty obvious in that 2nd goal but he's a small guy at 5,9 165lbs. Much like Omark, there's no room for him in the top 6 and he wouldn't be very good in a 3rd or 4th line role. He'll be a really important player in OKC when (if) the lockout ends though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You guys think Arco will have a chance on the big club when play returns?

No, he wouldn't be an upgrade on Gagner and he isn't fast enough for a player of his size to be a major contributor at the NHL level. I suppose if Gagner got hurt it could happen, otherwise, very doubtful.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Just saw the highlights, some pretty impressive assists by Arco. And I mean, Eberle... but of course.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Was looking at capgeek and I saw that Arcobello (as a first line centre in the AHL) is making 65,000 a year....I mean that's decent, and he gets to play a game he loves and all, but that's terrible money for being a pro, dedicating your whole life to hockey and being at the rink or gym for most of the year.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Was looking at capgeek and I saw that Arcobello (as a first line centre in the AHL) is making 65,000 a year....I mean that's decent, and he gets to play a game he loves and all, but that's terrible money for being a pro, dedicating your whole life to hockey and being at the rink or gym for most of the year.

65K to play pro hockey is pretty damn good. If i could do what he does i would ****ing jump on the first chance

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Like I mentioned earlier, my interest in these players is starting to wane with the escalating threat of decertification.

If decertification actually happens, I can say with 100% confidence that I will be done with NHL hockey for the rest of my life. Watching this team eat **** for years to aquire these beauties, and then have to watch them disappear would be too much.

Hopefully heads will be pulled out of ***** before it gets that far, we'll see.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
First of all there is no decertification that is when Fehr just stops representing the players what they are doing is a disclaimer of interest and the following step is the players suing the league saying the lockout is illegal and getting the potential of 3x their salary nothing about them being all free agents... actually the thing the league has done is more likely to bring that then what the players are doing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That shooting percentage. Man. 4 goals on 4 shots.

Clearly unsustainable.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
First of all there is no decertification that is when Fehr just stops representing the players what they are doing is a disclaimer of interest and the following step is the players suing the league saying the lockout is illegal and getting the potential of 3x their salary nothing about them being all free agents... actually the thing the league has done is more likely to bring that then what the players are doing.

If the players are successful in court then decertification follows and we lose the 2013/2014 season as well as our players.

Yeah that's what I meant. Exactly what Mooner said. If they are successful decertification is next. If they get to that point I'm done.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

65k to play hockey at the age of 24 isn't too bad. I'm 24.... I sure would love to make 65 thousand dollars a year doing something I would love to do. Not to mention he has a degree from Yale to fall back on once his hockey career is over (although it looks like he will have a long professional career ahead of him and he will likely make buckets of money doing so, even if its not in the NHL).

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
The fact of the matter either the lawsuit or the complaint to the labour board not sure which one but it has the claim up front by the league that the lockout is legal if the courts agree which since the ny courts favor management is likely then there is no point in the players going that route because their lawsuit hangs on the courts saying the lockout is illegal. That owners beat them to the punch so to speak so Decertification prob wont happen cause if the owners lose the lawsuit they filed they will just cut a deal and be done with it.

franfrey*

I would love to see Arco on the 2nd line in place of Gagner... Even just for a few games, to see how well he does. He possesses a lot of skill and seemingly good chemistry with Eberle (although who doesn't?) so I definitely wouldn't write him off completely until he gets a chance to strut his stuff.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If the players are successful in court then decertification follows and we lose the 2013/2014 season as well as our players.

I believe contracts are there so technically, all signed players are the respective team's property. The difference is the owners aren't "obligated" to pay them....which is what decert would do-force the owners to pay up. Disclaimer would just mean each reps their own contract IIRC and can go about doing whatever he wants with it [minus sign with another NHL club]

Unsigned players, ie RFAs and UFAs, don't have any CBA "binding" them so they are SOL.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I have been in the past:laugh:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
apparently the NHL is trying in court in the event of decert to have all existing player contracts deemed null and void, ergo all 750 players will be UFAs.

On a more entertaining note, howbout that performance by Ebbs last night! Love the Ebbs.

OilFury

Nov 17, 2012
we wouldnt lose key players if they did become ufas...they love playing together andare bought into the team. we would probably just end up signing missing pieces and dump what we dont want..

but i doubt its going to get to that

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Like I mentioned earlier, my interest in these players is starting to wane with the escalating threat of decertification.

Man, you love doom and gloom, don't you?

I understand the frustrations of what has happened the last several seasons and this offseason with the lockout and arena debacle but lets step away from the ledge a bit.
There is the smallest of chances that decertification ever passes through the courts, it would be unprecedented in major sport. There's a chance that this doesn't even make it to court since both sides might want to avoid lengthy legal entanglements and come to a deal so lets relax with all the Oilers are going to lose their players talk.
If by chance, decert passes and contracts are voided, i might very well be done with this league.

Anyway, missed both games this weekend. It seems like i didn't miss anything yesterday anyway. It's ****ing ridiculous that AHL Live could charge as much as they do for the full season package and not only have a crappy feed early in the season but completely lose the signal for an entire game. What a rip off, feaking waste of money.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I still think that the young guys would resign with the Oilers if there was some kind of UFA explosion. It could actually work to our advantage in that we lose all bad contracts and we can fill the holes with better players.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
apparently the NHL is trying in court in the event of decert to have all existing player contracts deemed null and void, ergo all 750 players will be UFAs.

No they are not trying to get all existing contracts null and void. The petition they have filed with the courts is to get a ruling on the legality of the lockout. The complaint filed with the labour relations board is that the PA is not negotiating in good faith. That's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->