GDT: San Antonio Rampage @ OKC Barons, Friday 12/28 6PM MDT

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
haha can you imagine the oiler 4 finishing in the top 4.....maybe even top 5 with Arcobello?

That would be sick.

I'm not sure Shultz will keep up though. Offensive D-man or not, first line forwards usually score more.

It's getting to the point where the idea that it's a "fluke" is losing merit. I can certainly see him slowing down a little, but even then a ppg the rest of the way is still reasonable.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Just think of how things will be when RNH returns.....

Hopefully there will be an NHL season by then.

But hypothetically speaking, I'm not sure I break up the Hall - Arcobello - Eberle line if they can sustain a good pace. Spread the wealth a bit and see if you can spark someone else. I'd be tempted to put Harski - RNH - Paajarvi together, but getting Green - RNH - Pitlick to game speed would be a worthwhile venture.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan

But hypothetically speaking, I'm not sure I break up the Hall - Arcobello - Eberle line if they can sustain a good pace. Spread the wealth a bit and see if you can spark someone else. I'd be tempted to put Harski - RNH - Paajarvi together, but getting Green - RNH - Pitlick to game speed would be a worthwhile venture.

If there is no season by then I would try him with Pitlick. Do something to hopefully get the guy going whilr having a big presence on the line. I would be tempted to do something like you said as well but I wouldnt want to break up the top 2 lines at all right now.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada

I wouldn't break up the Nordic Line of Hartikainen, Paajarvi and Lander either.

Something like this, IMO would be the best, provided that the current top line of the two kids and Arcobello keeps rolling.

1 Hall - Arco - Eberle
2a Paarjarvi - Lander - Hartikainen
2b Green - RNH - Pitlick
4 Lizon - VV- House/Hamilton

That would give us three solid scoring lines that could be given roughly equal ice time through the game.

Furthermore, after Roy's performance last night, I would like him to get a string of three or four games here to see what he can do.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan

Something like this, IMO would be the best, provided that the current top line of the two kids and Arcobello keeps rolling.

1 Hall - Arco - Eberle
2a Paarjarvi - Lander - Hartikainen
2b Green - RNH - Pitlick
4 Lizon - VV- House/Hamilton

That would give us three solid scoring lines that could be given roughly equal ice time through the game.

Furthermore, after Roy's performance last night, I would like him to get a string of three or four games here to see what he can do.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I typed my post. On my phone though so I couldn't get the lines up.

Provided the top 2 lines are still doing well when RNH gets back those are the lines I would like to see. Or something close to that.

I agree on Roy too. I think he needs to get a few more starts so we can see more of him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I thought Nelson was a terrible coach

Wait, what? On the basis of the Barons needing a shootout to beat the worst team in the AHL you're talking turkey?

Must be strange times.

The Barons are .500 against a club with a .400 winning percentage. 3 of the lowly Rampage 11 Wins have come against the Barons.

On this particular weekend only spectacular efforts from Hall are resulting in W's and we're needing every last bit of it.

I'm not sure how this is a strong argument for Nelson.

Nelson is the beneficiary of a team thats scored 100 goals this year and with no other AHL teams having this assemblage of scoring talent. Its hard to avoid winning some games when you can fill the net at times.

Last edited:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

While the Nordic line has been a strong two-way line for us with an infectious cycle game, my thinking of breaking it up is part of the big picture. The Oilers greatest advantage will be a running start out of the gate should an NHL season be salvaged. If theres still a plan to play RNH - Eberle together and throw a LW on their line that isn't Taylor Hall, it's time that Harski and Paajarvi get some time with RNH.

Of course, it's easier to think big picture if the Barons weren't a mediocre team based on their place in the standings. Right now I'm sure Nelson's just trying to right the ship of yesteryear that looks more like a dingy in this seasons light.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
The AHL changed one of Eberles assists, gave it to Schultz...

Tied again, lol.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Haha that's too funny but it makes sense. That would have been on the Harty goal. I remember it being Schultz but they gave it to Ebs for some reason. That was definitely Schultz's assist.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The AHL changed one of Eberles assists, gave it to Schultz...

Tied again, lol.

Haha that's too funny but it makes sense. That would have been on the Harty goal. I remember it being Schultz but they gave it to Ebs for some reason. That was definitely Schultz's assist.

That's what I thought as well, but I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't push the point too hard. That means that after 30 games Schultz has had at least 1 point in 27 of them :amazed:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I break that line up because Arco will not be our #1C in Edmonton and it is very doubtful that he'd be our #2 center either. IMO you drop Arco down to the 3rd line and roll with this:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen
Green-Arcobello-Pitlick
Byers-Vande Velde-House
Hamilton, Lizon

At that point we could alternate Hamilton in and out of the lineup of send him down to Stockton for a few games. If we roll with Lizon in most games then we could even send both Hamilton and Pitlick down to try and get their games going. In that case I'd bump House to the 3rd line and naturally Lizon plays on the 4th.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

#EdmontonOilers re-assign Philippe Cornet & Ryan Martindale to @StocktonThunder from #OKCBarons http://******/gqrtA

Good to see that as both haven't been playing much at all of late.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
While the Nordic line has been a strong two-way line for us with an infectious cycle game, my thinking of breaking it up is part of the big picture. The Oilers greatest advantage will be a running start out of the gate should an NHL season be salvaged. If theres still a plan to play RNH - Eberle together and throw a LW on their line that isn't Taylor Hall, it's time that Harski and Paajarvi get some time with RNH.

Of course, it's easier to think big picture if the Barons weren't a mediocre team based on their place in the standings. Right now I'm sure Nelson's just trying to right the ship of yesteryear that looks more like a dingy in this seasons light.
I agree, but I don't think the Oilers will make the playoffs even in a shortened, ~48 game season. Plus, the old guard of Hemsky and Smyth likely will get the nod for a top six role over anyone on the Nordic Line. Grooming them together as a unit is a far better recipe for success, IMO, since what the Harti-Lander-MPS combo has brought over the last stretch of games at the AHL level for the Barons is exactly what the Oilers need as a third line on the big club.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
In a 48 game season one hot streak vs another teams cold stretch could be the difference between making it or not. I think a shorter season would definitely favour the youngish Oilers squad. You'd have to think they'd be quick out of the gate with their likely over-abundance of youthful exuberance... and the usual mid-season stretch of putrid hockey might not set in (as much).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Smyth will be in the Oilers top 6 to start the season over either Paajarvi or Harti. I actually doubt either of them would be with the Oilers to start if we have a NHL season.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
No doubt they'll have the usual plague of injury bugs hit them just as a possible shortened season is about to begin... so who knows what a potential opening night lineup will look like... but there's a very good chance there will be callups on it from OKC. I think Harti is the most obvious addition as he's exactly the type of player needed on the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad