Samuel Morin vs Nikita Zadarov

• Thread starter SchennSational1022*
  • Start date

SchennSational1022*

Who do you think is the better prospect? Who has the higher ceiling? Who is more likely to reach that ceiling? Which one would you rather have?

I look at them both as monster shut down defensemen with raw but good offensive potential. Maybe not flashy potential but still there. Also I think Morin is a lot more nastier but not as physical.

Do you agree?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Idk it's really too early to tell, but I think most would say there potentials are similar as you said. I see Morin as a #2/3 shut down d-man who could contribute 25-30points,where as Zadarov is a solid top4 shut down d-man who is more point minded then Morin and might contribute closer to 35 points...other think that Morin is more point minded and that's fine also

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
So basically you are saying nothing...:laugh:

Idk it's really too early to tell, but I think most would say there potentials are similar as you said. I see Morin as a #2/3 shut down d-man who could contribute 25-30points,where as Zadarov is a solid top4 shut down d-man who is more point minded then Morin and might contribute closer to 35 points...other think that Morin is more point minded and that's fine also

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Zadarov doesn't exist, there is only Zadorov.

Samuel Moran vs Nikita Zadorov.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Zadarov doesn't exist, there is only Zadorov.

Samuel Moran vs Nikita Zadorov.

Samuel Morin vs Nikita Zadorov

I think Zadorov has the higher ceiling but lower floor. Morin I think is a safer bet to make it, but I like Zadorov's upside better. Personally, I'd take Zadorov over Morin. I think Russian factor dropped Z out of the top 10, Buffalo stole him at 16.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Samuel Morin vs Nikita Zadorov

I think Zadorov has the higher ceiling but lower floor. Morin I think is a safer bet to make it, but I like Zadorov's upside better. Personally, I'd take Zadorov over Morin. I think Russian factor dropped Z out of the top 10, Buffalo stole him at 16.

Yeah I hope Zadorov works out. It seems like there isn't a huge concern with him regarding Russia, probably since he played juniors in North America. It seems like expects to play in the NHL.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
From what Zadorov showed in the preseason he looks pretty ready. There's no glaring holes. His skating is good. His strength is good. He's filled out. I don't think he would look out of place in the NHL if he were to stay the year now. From what i read about Morin from Flyers fans he looked pretty much the same in their preseason. The two are probably pretty close.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Yeah I hope Zadorov works out. It seems like there isn't a huge concern with him regarding Russia, probably since he played juniors in North America. It seems like expects to play in the NHL.

There is always a concern with Russians, that some day they bolt for the KHL...playing jr in NA certainly helps ease some concerns but it doesn't erase them entirely either. Radulov played jr in Quebec but still bolted and (if I recall correctly) didn't fulfill his contractual obligations.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
This is really close. I am a Flyers detractor of the Morin selection as I prefered a guy like Zadorov at that slot. Morin has looked exceptional in rookie camp, training camp and everything in between. I have not watched much of Zadorov since the draft, but certainly will as the OHL season progresses.

Frankly, they are similar players at this stage. Big, physical men that can skate. Zadorov is more physically matured, but Morin has a bit more "nasty" at this stage (not to say that Zadorov isn't physical). Offensive games are limited now with the tools to grow into viable assets. Both show the building blocks of passing games and big shots from the point, but lack the consistent ability to meld their physical defensive assets into consistent 2-way play at this stage. It could come for both, either or neither.... we shall see.

Too early to call, but if the draft were tomorrow and I were forced to choose, I would probably take Zadorov, but its closer than I cared to admit at the actual draft day.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
There is always a concern with Russians, that some day they bolt for the KHL...playing jr in NA certainly helps ease some concerns but it doesn't erase them entirely either. Radulov played jr in Quebec but still bolted and (if I recall correctly) didn't fulfill his contractual obligations.
Not possible anymore with NHL/KHL agreement.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Not possible anymore with NHL/KHL agreement.

Sorry, I didn't realize something happened since Kovalchuk split, I totally missed it.

Still, Russian players who just finished a contract (even RFA's) will be tempted by high dollars and low taxes of KHL, not to mention living/playing in there homeland.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Who do you think is the better prospect? hard question can't answer it
Who has the higher ceiling? Morin
Who is more likely to reach that ceiling? Zadarov
Which one would you rather have? Morin " only way to get a 1D is to get someone with Morin's potential and hope he pan out"

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Except that Morin doesn't play the stereotypical "Q" style of hockey.

He's a mean mother****er who hits and uses his stick very liberally.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
It's not so much that I don't like Morin. The Q just doesn't have a very good record over the past number of years for developing high caliber defensemen. They are more of a forward league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad