Prospect Info: The all-encompassing Sam Morin thread [began in 2017]

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Maybe because he didn't get be clean like you're stating based off of a screenshot?

i'm not going to argue facts with you. when it goes goalie, your man, you in order that means you got beat, and that is exactly what happened. That photo does a great job of showing it.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
i'm not going to argue facts with you. when it goes goalie, your man, you in order that means you got beat, and that is exactly what happened. That photo does a great job of showing it.

Goalie>Opposition>Defenseman. Thats calls a breakaway.

Why would someone one hand shovel a puck on a breakaway.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
It's the epitome of the no-win situation: the hopeful future 1C, 2 overall prospect going up against the fan-favourite projected defensive Dman. No matter what, one of them isn't living up to the hype.
I think Morin is trash, but not because of that one play. Drawing any conclusions from a drill at a prospect camp is baffling.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
To me? That he was beat. Plenty of room for that to wind up a goal.

You do realize that it is a drill vs his teammate. In a game vs another team, the person who tries that on him is getting dropped on their ass. He's not going to lay Patrick out in a drill. He's forced to only use his stick and also forced to be flat footed to begin the drill. So what, he got beat to the inside in a drill where he's not even thinking about laying the guy out when he easily could.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Trash is a harsh word...how bout' refuse? Kidding

I think he should be a fairly solid 3rd pairing D initially....needs some work and experience to go beyond that. I just hope he isn't another Luke Schenn type...not in the sense that he isn't more skilled than Luke but more so that whole deal that Luke had to simplify his game to be serviceable. When he tried to do too much like spinorama shot attempts at the blue line is when he would start to unravel. Morin at least has the Kjell Samuelsson reach and decent footwork for a big man to not get burned like a standing pilon like Schenn used to. However, as noted he will need to pick his spots with his hits and not take himself out of the play or off the ice with penalties.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I think he should be a fairly solid 3rd pairing D initially....needs some work and experience to go beyond that. I just hope he isn't another Luke Schenn type...not in the sense that he isn't more skilled than Luke but more so that whole deal that Luke had to simplify his game to be serviceable. When he tried to do too much like spinorama shot attempts at the blue line is when he would start to unravel. Morin at least has the Kjell Samuelsson reach and decent footwork for a big man to not get burned like a standing pilon like Schenn used to. However, as noted he will need to pick his spots with his hits and not take himself out of the play or off the ice with penalties.

Morin's skating ability is lightyears ahead of Schenn thankfully.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Sam skates so much better, and has Kjell teaching him the big man's game too. Luke did his job, hit a lot and fought rarely. Sam's going to hit and fight, but he's also going to contribute some offense - eg. in rookie game he wasn't afraid to go up ice looking for the puck too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/training-camp-day-1--philadelphia-flyers/c-291069326

MORIN CLOSES GAPS

* A few years ago, a video of Flyers defense prospect Samuel Morin closing off and then sealing a significant gap as he defended a rush through the neutral zone against Anthony DuClair (a player with world class speed) made the rounds on the internet. Skating full-out, Morin somehow caught up to ride the opposing player off the puck at the defensive blueline.

On the first day of Flyers' training camp, Morin didn't do anything quite that dramatic but the nearly 6-foot-7 defenseman showed off hints of his straight line skating ability as he closed gaps effectively during the early drill.

His long strides and wingspan are intriguing to say the least, and have always been among his biggest strengths. Footwork, positioning and decision-making with and without the puck are all areas he's worked very hard to improve in the two seasons since turning pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad