Samuel Girard - Best player from the 3 way trade?

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I miss Dutchy. He was the heart and soul of the team for a few years. I remember how excited I was in 2009 when he was getting drafted, seeing how he was an Avalanche fan growing up and then playing for his childhood team. I still remember his first 2 games against San Jose and Vancouver where he was a one man show and also his shootout goal that put the Avs in the playoffs after everyone said the team would finish last again. Overall, Duchene is also just a good person in general and I was very sad to see him not in an Avs jersey anymore.

I’ve always felt Duchene was underrated. He can be a very good #1 center and is an elite #2. He seems to have really hit his stride in Ottawa. With everything happening with the Sens, it’s easy to kick them while they’re down but I really think people are forgetting how good of a player Duchene really is. I’m glad Girard turned out the way he did. He is already our best defenseman in my opinion and with him only being 20, I’m looking forward to seeing him and Makar be the foundation of our defense for years to come.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This is the right answer, and an easy one at that.

Its really funny how often Avs fans pretend that Duchene isnt the guy that was easily their best and most productive player during the majority of his career there.

Nah, we get that. We also recognize that it was a big reason we had almost no success over that period. Duchene isn’t good enough to be that guy. Not his fault. It just is what it is.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Duchene is criminally underrated by many Avs fans these days, but I still wouldn't trade Girard for him. Sammy G is simply more valuable to the Avs than Duchene would be at this point.

Dutchy is a great player, but seeing him next to the words "elite 2c" is laughable.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Nah, we get that. We also recognize that it was a big reason we had almost no success over that period. Duchene isn’t good enough to be that guy. Not his fault. It just is what it is.

Nothing was stopping O'rielly or Mack from taking over his role while he was their except their own inconsistencies. But sure, he was the reason you guys sucked balls for so long., not your laughable D, goaltending, depth, or coaching. It was defnitely not any of those things.

And this was the exact point of my post. Avs fans always throwing shade. Not the classiest bunch from what I've seen.

Duchene is a great player and needed a change of scenery. Now go back to wishing for the Sens to lose please, and karma will take care of the rest :nod:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Nothing was stopping O'rielly or Mack from taking over his role while he was their except their own inconsistencies. But sure, he was the reason you guys sucked balls for so long., not your laughable D, goaltending, depth, or coaching. It was defnitely not any of those things.

And this was the exact point of my post. Avs fans always throwing shade. Not the classiest bunch from what I've seen.

Duchene is a great player and needed a change of scenery. Now go back to wishing for the Sens to lose please, and karma will take care of the rest :nod:

So now you are going to start calling all Avs fans classless and how they all throw shade on the basis of a handful of posters that you disagree with?

All the while you are trashing the Avs' performance over the years and taking your own shots.

Okay.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Dutchy’s not the reason we weren’t good and some avs fans are really dicks about Dutchy...like jlo...but it doesn’t help your point that the moment MacK found out that the Duchene trade was happening, he started to dominate.

That said, I’d be a lot more careful around those glass houses if I was a sens fan talking about classiness...else someone might just post a link to the filth sens fans spewed in Dutchy’s direction before the trade.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Dutchy’s not the reason we weren’t good and some avs fans are really dicks about Dutchy...like jlo...but it doesn’t help your point that the moment MacK found out that the Duchene trade was happening, he started to dominate.

That said, I’d be a lot more careful around those glass houses if I was a sens fan talking about classiness...else someone might just post a link to the filth sens fans spewed in Dutchy’s direction before the trade.

Sorry I guess it irked me seeing at "Part 3 of Sens watch" front and center on your board as well, filled with you guys wishing nothing but bad things on the Sens, and saying irrationally stupid comments in there.

Of course you can hope for a good pick, but its all kinda classless imo to just needlessly bash the Sens. And the constant Duchene bashing is getting old too.

So ya if we are calling a spade a spade, I do have a bit of a grudge against Avs fans at the moment, and hope that karma bites them in the ass with them wishing ill will upon us.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

You kinda missed the point. Obviously we would have had more success if we surrounded Duchene with better players. But then he wouldn’t be our best player anymore. So we’ve circled back around. No team will have much success with Duchene as their best player.

So yes, he was our best player, but it was more of a tallest midget kinda thing.

And you probably shouldn’t talk about class. Your post totally lacked it.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sorry I guess it irked me seeing at "Part 3 of Sens watch" front and center on your board as well, filled with you guys wishing nothing but bad things on the Sens, and saying irrationally stupid comments in there.

Of course you can hope for a good pick, but its all kinda classless imo to just needlessly bash the Sens. And the constant Duchene bashing is getting old too.

So ya if we are calling a spade a spade, I do have a bit of a grudge against Avs fans at the moment, and hope that karma bites them in the ass with them wishing ill will upon us.

I spent most of the first sens watch thread arguing that it was in poor taste to have a thread dedicated to celebrating the Sens’ failure, and (like many avs fans) haven’t participated in those threads since losing the debate.

So I get that, but you’re still painting with a broad brush when you’re really just talking about a subsection of our fan base.

And again, glass houses man. I stopped visiting the sens board because of the shit that got talked about the avs, even though all of these years after the ROR trade I was still checking the Sabres board up to this summer.

Reactions: Samsquanch

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah Duchene is still the best piece of that deal right now. But in a couple seasons I think that Girard will definitely be the best player from the deal. He's just so damn smart.

And on the Sens pick, really? Of course we want them to suck, we have their 1st round pick. Any fans in the same situation would want the highest pick possible. Yes, some of our fans have been not the nicest about it but as CGF said your painting with a pretty broad brush there.

kegluu

Jan 30, 2016

There are fans wishing their own team to lose for best pick possible. What do you expect in situation like this one.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
There are fans wishing their own team to lose for best pick possible. What do you expect in situation like this one.

And how the f*** do you think Sens fans should take the constant thrashing then? Lying down or bent over?

No, we are just as entitled to give the middle finger right back to the Avs fans now that the tables have turned.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I'm glad Dutchy is coming closer to living up to his price tag, but i wouldn't go as far as to say the 'tables have turned.' I also wouldn't blame a Sens fan for feeling bitter towards our camp, since we want the Sens to fail as hard as humanly possible. But it's nothing personal. Just lookin at that pick...

Reactions: cgf

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I spent most of the first sens watch thread arguing that it was in poor taste to have a thread dedicated to celebrating the Sens’ failure, and (like many avs fans) haven’t participated in those threads since losing the debate.

So I get that, but you’re still painting with a broad brush when you’re really just talking about a subsection of our fan base.

And again, glass houses man. I stopped visiting the sens board because of the **** that got talked about the avs, even though all of these years after the ROR trade I was still checking the Sabres board up to this summer.

Fair enough dude, and Im gonna make peace with ya. Its clearly not all of you.

But having said that, your Sens thread is still going strong, and you agree that its fairly classless, so hopefully you can understand my frustration.

I actually have always liked the Avs myself, and hope you guys keep doing well. But ill be equally happy to drink some salty tears at the end of the year if we do well and shut some haters up over there.

Reactions: cgf

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
And how the **** do you think Sens fans should take the constant thrashing then? Lying down or bent over?

No, we are just as entitled to give the middle finger right back to the Avs fans now that the tables have turned.

No question this trade isn't nearly as one sided as I first thought. If the pick ends up around 8-12 I would says the Sens are vindicated for all the hate thrown on them. They got a #1c, and honestly, I don't think there is a hard position and slot to trade for.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm glad Dutchy is coming closer to living up to his price tag, but i wouldn't go as far as to say the 'tables have turned.' I also wouldn't blame a Sens fan for feeling bitter towards our camp, since we want the Sens to fail as hard as humanly possible. But it's nothing personal. Just lookin at that pick...

And I understand that its not personal. But accept that we're going to give it right back to you guys as long as we are still looking and playing great.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
No question this trade isn't nearly as one sided as I first thought. If the pick ends up around 8-12 I would says the Sens are vindicated for all the hate thrown on them. They got a #1c, and honestly, I don't think there is a hard position and slot to trade for.
It’s more the fit than the player. The Sens were obviously not in a position to trade for a 27 year old UFA to be. They thought they were, but that was clearly an incorrect belief similar to the original Kessel deal. By the time the Sens are ready to compete seriously, Duchene will be on a big ticket contract and likely past 30 if he even decides to stay. I think it very unlikely Dorion wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to reverse the trade if he had the option to. Turris, a 3rd, and two 1sts wasn’t a great trade to make when you’re trying to rebuild a year later.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's tough to be an NHL prospect when you're an NHL player ;-)
He ain't much of one. When David Poile basically dumps you as a Center, that generally isn't a good sign.

As far as the topic goes we knew Girard was going to be solid, we said as much when the trade happened. But he was going to be buried at number 5 for a while, so it was the right move to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad