Prospect Info: Samuel Fagemo, RW, 50th Overall

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
DAMN! Fagemo seen as good as Kempe...with more compete, if not the flat out ability. Wow.
Frozen Reality excerpt of piece with Yannetti on Fagemo

From Frozen Reality. Thanks, Gann, great job, as always.
LA Kings 2019 NHL Draft Wrap-Up with Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yanetti – Part 1LA Kings 2019 NHL Draft Wrap-Up with Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yanetti – Part 1

Yanetti: “He’s a speed player. Fast. Explosive. He scored 15 goals in the Swedish Elite League this year, as a draft-year plus one player. He plays as a high level. He’s as good as Adrian Kempe with a higher level of compete, if not the flat-out ability. He’s got all those tools that we like, so then you look at our draft list, and he’s in a layer where the players we see after him are in another tier in the draft.”
“People throw words around, like ‘compete,’ ‘hockey sense’ and ‘character.’ There’s about eight million ways that you can compete. You can punch someone in the face. You can hit someone. You can block a shot. You can drive the net. What Fagemo does—he’s got speed-based and pace-based compete. What that means is there’s an element to his compete that’s directly related to his speed and his quickness. He gets in on the forecheck fast. He creates pressure on defensemen. He forces opposing team’s coverages to change. He forces defensemen to move a second quicker. One of the indicators in today’s NHL is, when you lose the puck, how fast do you get it back? He gets it back really, really fast. He attacks the net. He pushes defenses back. He forces defensemen to give up the [blue] line. He drives and attacks those hard areas.”

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I like the move up to take this kid.

Speedy, kind of shifty. I'd say loves to shoot the puck but I think you can more aptly define it as loving to put the puck on net.

He's also a hard working 2 way forward that won't give up on the back check.

I kind of see some Viktor Arvidsson in him.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Any chance this guy starts in the ahl this year?

Not yet I believe he has 1 more year on his contract which is fine I love when the players develop overseas they become better players for it . He’s similar to Arvidsson I hope he becomes a quality 2nd line winger or above average 3rd liner . He has some potential for sure . We killed this draft

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Any chance this guy starts in the ahl this year?

Not yet I believe he has 1 more year on his contract which is fine I love when the players develop overseas they become better players for it . He’s similar to Arvidsson I hope he becomes a quality 2nd line winger or above average 3rd liner . He has some potential for sure . We killed this draft
Unless he makes the NHL we've got the right to have him in the SHL instead of him being sent down to the AHL, and Frölunda is arguably the best place in Europe for prospects to develop. I can't say that I know anything about your farm team and how good it is at developing young players, but Kings decided to loan Jacob Moverare to us for another season because of the progress he made this year. We've got excellent training facilities and a coaching staff that focuses on developing players. We're gonna take good care of Fagemo.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Yannetti, on changing culture within an organization:
What happens is if you want to change culture, you have to change cultures from both ends. So, if you’re going to change culture, you start in the draft. It’s unlikely you can go from a bottom team to a top team in a year. It’s unlikely. You affect culture from the bottom. So, you do it through the draft. I think we made a big step in affecting our culture in this draft. We got three whales in terms of culture, in our opinion, in this draft. If we’d come out with one, we would’ve been happy. [Reporter: That was the first two picks, and then-] Fagemo is more ‘compete’ than ‘culture,’ but those two boxes are really linked to us. While he’s ‘culture’ in a secondary way, he’s ‘compete’ and he’s pace-based and speed-based, which for me is the better compete. You get the puck back quick. I’m starting to go into the ‘compete’ side where ‘pursuit, pressure’ rather than ‘hard-nosed,’ ‘physical.’ When Mike [Futa] and I did [the draft], Mike’s more ‘physical-compete’ and I’m more ‘speed-compete’ when we were together and we’d balance each other out. Now, there’s no one to keep me in check, so we can do it our way. I’m just kidding. So, he would be a secondary way, so what happens is you affect the culture coming through the foundation. That’s what we did with Clifford way back when. People try to minimalize that – they weren’t there. You do it that way, and then once the team is ready, then you bring in Jarret Stoll, Matt Greene, Mike Richards, you bring in Justin Williams. So, what happens is you get the culture coming in from the bottom, and depending on the rebuild three years in, maybe four, now you come and bring the culture in at the top, if it’s not there already. Obviously, you hope that Drew and Kopi develop into Greene and Stoll in terms of culture. They’re dynamic individuals, so that’s the hope, and now you have culture coming in from the top, the bottom and the middle, and that’s probably how you contend for a Cup. So, yeah, the short answer, you can’t really affect it one year.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Anyone else laughing their ass off at his last name?

It's a really unfortunate coincidence times two, yes. It's odd enough in Sweden, I can only find 7 people with that name, so it's basically just him and his family. Don't know what the name means.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Swede invasion!

Kempe and now:

Grundstrom, Sodergran, Bjornfot, Fagemo and Andre Lee...even hearing good things about Lee...and the Jacob Moverare story is not over yet. Don't write him off. Still not turned 20 and was part of the Frolunda Indians Championship, as was Fagemo.....

Q: Anyone think it odd, that a Swedish hockey team be named Indians? It's even weird that any USA teams are called Indians or Redskins, for that matter...but a team in Sweden?

Last edited:

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Swede invasion!

Kempe and now:

Grundstrom, Sodergran, Bjornfot, Fagemo and Andre Lee...even hearing good things about Lee...and the Jacob Moverare story is not over yet. Don't write him off. Still not turned 20 and was part of the Frolunda Indians Championship, as was Fagemo.....

Q: Anyone think it odd, that a Swedish hockey team be named Indians? It's even weird that any USA teams are called Indians or Redskins, for that matter...but a team in Sweden?

Maybe they're named after the actual Indians - you know, the ones from India.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Swede invasion!

Kempe and now:

The "Indians" part is pure bullshit in my opinion. It comes from the 90s when all teams in the SHL added "cool" names, Södertälje Lightning, Färjestad Wolves, Brynäs Tigers etc. Our original name is Västra Frölunda, West Frölunda, and during the 70s the team was nicknamed "Vilda Västra Frölunda", "Wild West Frölunda", because of the way the team played. So comes the 90s and they spin on that theme and didn't want anything with guns, so no cowboy and it ends up with "Indians".

But yeah, it's really odd and if you think about it, it's really stupid. But no one really wants to think about it here because of the commercial worth...

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
The "Indians" part is pure bull**** in my opinion. It comes from the 90s when all teams in the SHL added "cool" names, Södertälje Lightning, Färjestad Wolves, Brynäs Tigers etc. Our original name is Västra Frölunda, West Frölunda, and during the 70s the team was nicknamed "Vilda Västra Frölunda", "Wild West Frölunda", because of the way the team played. So comes the 90s and they spin on that theme and didn't want anything with guns, so no cowboy and it ends up with "Indians".

But yeah, it's really odd and if you think about it, it's really stupid. But no one really wants to think about it here because of the commercial worth...
The jerseys aren’t bad at least, IMO. Better then the Kings’ home plate jerseys.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The "Indians" part is pure bull**** in my opinion. It comes from the 90s when all teams in the SHL added "cool" names, Södertälje Lightning, Färjestad Wolves, Brynäs Tigers etc. Our original name is Västra Frölunda, West Frölunda, and during the 70s the team was nicknamed "Vilda Västra Frölunda", "Wild West Frölunda", because of the way the team played. So comes the 90s and they spin on that theme and didn't want anything with guns, so no cowboy and it ends up with "Indians".

Hello!
Thank for you answering this and giving the background on it. Very interesting, but also makes no sense!

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
god to I wish the bark madness crap would die.

That garbage pisses me off so much. It's a hockey league of grown men. Are the Kings marketing team that truly pathetic that they can't shut the hell up about their God damn dogs? Honestly. Kopitar used to rush the net before gustel and now he plays like a little bitch. Coincidence? Nah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad