Prospect Info: Samuel Bolduc, Defence, 57th Overall

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not to doubt you, but what makes you say this? Because there's few red flags worse than having a low hockey IQ since that's not fixable.

Just youtube vids, seems like he made alot of mistakes. Also I am not saying a low hockey IQ is a terrible thing but it need a good coach to call out the flaws and get him to stop it

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Just youtube vids, seems like he made alot of mistakes. Also I am not saying a low hockey IQ is a terrible thing but it need a good coach to call out the flaws and get him to stop it

Not giving any credence to the idea that Bolduc has a low IQ because I know squat about him. But how do you get someone to simple "stop it"? Intelligence, or lack thereof is innate. You can show a guy film and get him to correct some egregious decision making or habits but the games moves so fast that someone with a truly low IQ can only be so useful.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With respect to Bolduc, and this is based on very limited viewing of video, it seemed he got into trouble when he tried to do too much and essentially skated into trouble.

Maybe he took on too much in juniors or maybe he was asked to do more by the coaches, due to his skill and size, because of less-talented teammates?

On the plus side, none of that should be an issue if Bolduc is playing with, let's say, Dobson, who will be the primary of the tandem.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
With respect to Bolduc, and this is based on very limited viewing of video, it seemed he got into trouble when he tried to do too much and essentially skated into trouble.

Maybe he took on too much in juniors or maybe he was asked to do more by the coaches, due to his skill and size, because of less-talented teammates?

On the plus side, none of that should be an issue if Bolduc is playing with, let's say, Dobson, who will be the primary of the tandem.

Evaluating hockey IQ is tough with defensemen or with any player really. It requires quite a bit of viewing to really determine if someone is a smart one or a dummy. Someone like Dobson has been lauded pretty much forever for being a very cerebral and smart player, a bonus considering his strong tools. The ones that are lauded exclusively for their impressive tools are typically the ones that may be lacking in that department or possibly overlooked due to them being able to dominate at lower levels purely by being more talented than their peers. It's going to take time to be able to sort it out. I do like the opinion (I think it was Potvin's) that it takes a d-man about 250 NHL games to properly evaluate them. Some are just ahead of the curve and it's pretty obvious like The Big Easy - my boy Dobson, most really need the full 250 game evaluation period.

I can understand the comparison to Mayfield, but recall that Pelech was never considered a very smart player at any level prior to the here and now. It wasn't long ago when many killed Pelech for his absolutely brutal pinch decisions and generally "dumb" play. I think Capuano's and Weight's coaching to pinch unconscionably played a part there, but it took reps for Pelech to become who he is today. Mayfield has shown to be a toolsy and limited hockey IQ player that he has always been.

I do like Bolduc, I really like his tools package. Does he have it in him to learn and unlock "hidden" cerebral acumen to play the game akin to what Pelech has done? That remains to be seen. For now, I am happy he's getting reps in the AHL. Quite honestly I'd be happy with another Mayfield, but I think he has more offensive upside. If he can develop into something more than that's a major win.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Evaluating hockey IQ is tough with defensemen or with any player really. It requires quite a bit of viewing to really determine if someone is a smart one or a dummy. Someone like Dobson has been lauded pretty much forever for being a very cerebral and smart player, a bonus considering his strong tools. The ones that are lauded exclusively for their impressive tools are typically the ones that may be lacking in that department or possibly overlooked due to them being able to dominate at lower levels purely by being more talented than their peers. It's going to take time to be able to sort it out. I do like the opinion (I think it was Potvin's) that it takes a d-man about 250 NHL games to properly evaluate them. Some are just ahead of the curve and it's pretty obvious like The Big Easy - my boy Dobson, most really need the full 250 game evaluation period.

I can understand the comparison to Mayfield, but recall that Pelech was never considered a very smart player at any level prior to the here and now. It wasn't long ago when many killed Pelech for his absolutely brutal pinch decisions and generally "dumb" play. I think Capuano's and Weight's coaching to pinch unconscionably played a part there, but it took reps for Pelech to become who he is today. Mayfield has shown to be a toolsy and limited hockey IQ player that he has always been.

I do like Bolduc, I really like his tools package. Does he have it in him to learn and unlock "hidden" cerebral acumen to play the game akin to what Pelech has done? That remains to be seen. For now, I am happy he's getting reps in the AHL. Quite honestly I'd be happy with another Mayfield, but I think he has more offensive upside. If he can develop into something more than that's a major win.

I watched a ton of Bridgeport games when Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield were down there and defended them relentlessly that the issue was coaching/strategy and NOT an indictment of the players.

(I am sure some of my old posts can be dug up as proof, if needed, lol.)

In the AHL, they were consistently either asked (or allowed) to carry the puck through trouble and pinch in, without any type of defensive concern. And they often got away with it at the AHL level.

I assume part of that was because the BST forwards were so putrid, but it was the worst possible way to develop young defensemen. It instilled bad habits and tendencies that required Barry and co. to fix at the NHL level, which is darn impressive.

Some of the worst BST games were when Pulock was injured, in which case Pelech and Mayfield seemingly played what can only be categorized as scattershot defense and an allout, sellout on defense for offense.

On the plus side, you could definitely see their talent, but it was completely untamed. Thank the hockey gods that Barry arrived when he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Without going into everything else, just wanted to point out that Pelech was viewed as a very smart, solid defensive defenseman in the OHL. He fell in the draft due to an injury and D+1 he was considered one of the smartest defensive defensemen in the OHL. Ask Brock Otten, he was very big on him in those days as were a lot of avid OHL watchers.

He just never got the fanfare then like he doesn't now. He always had the ability though, some players just need to re-adjust as they ascend before it comes out again at a new level.

Reactions: danteipp

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Without going into everything else, just wanted to point out that Pelech was viewed as a very smart, solid defensive defenseman in the OHL. He fell in the draft due to an injury and D+1 he was considered one of the smartest defensive defensemen in the OHL. Ask Brock Otten, he was very big on him in those days as were a lot of avid OHL watchers.

He just never got the fanfare then like he doesn't now. He always had the ability though, some players just need to re-adjust as they ascend before it comes out again at a new level.

I will defer to your expertise (and Brock's) on Pelech during the OHL. I just remember his rocky NHL start.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I will defer to your expertise (and Brock's) on Pelech during the OHL. I just remember his rocky NHL start.
Yes and that's fair, he definitely needed a lot of time to adjust and struggled badly his first few years. I think the structure Barry provided helped too.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

I second this. I remember reading draft reports on Pelech that noted his best asset was that he was a very cerebral player.

Then I watched him in the AHL, where he was very solid making that first pass out of the defensive zone, relatively strong on the puck and while not fast, a smooth skater. I really believed the Isles had a player in Pelech at that time.

But the BST and Isles coaching was generally horrible. What he could get away with at the AHL level, simply didn't work in the NHL, with respect to pinching in on plays, drifting from his lane, losing track of his man, etc.

To this day, whether he simply went along with Snow and Weight's development plan simply for the paycheck (e.g., he was complicit), or fully backed it, I don't understand how Thompson is still employed by the Sound Tigers.

It is one of the great mysteries to me - like social media stars. All I can think of is that he is a truly, generational bootlicker that has managed to survive Lou's purge - or he has pictures of Lou's son, Chris, with either a live boy or dead girl.

Because there is no rational reason to justify his continued employment, when you look at either his development success or on-ice performance.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At this point, I think Samuel is the Isles most interesting prospect. To me, he has the highest upside of all the players not playing in the NHL.

Reactions: BarzyClub

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I put this in the general Isles prospects thread, but maybe worth adding here as well -

With respect to Bolduc, I remember when he was drafted, one of the criticisms was that he wasn't physical enough.

To me, it seemed like he was just hesitant in throwing his 6-4, 210-220 lbs frame around against kids.

Instead, he opted to refine his skating for his size and make smart, safe plays that were advanced for his age.

Now he is finally playing against men, has no such concerns and is free to play the physical game unencumbered.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Looks like he has a canon of a shot.

But can he one-time it? Would be nice to have Pulock, Bolduc as a PP setup for just bombing shots from the blueline

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As lukewarm the Holmstrom pick was to some of us draft night, the Isles scout may have made up for that pick with Bolduc. Knew he had some offence in his game, but Bridgeport not known for high scoring, for a rookie to get off to such a quick start as a D man, Isles may have found a 2nd rd gem here. Going to temper my expectations but I am stoked, he looks like a good pick.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
that would be me!!!! It fits!!

Sammy the Bullduc
For those who didn't read Sammy the Bull's bio, he and Gotti were in different crime families initially.
Gotti tried to put a move on Sammy's bar one night and Sammy order his guys to shot to kill Gotti if things escalated.
But Sammy had an altercation with a Capo's son and they were going to take him out.
Someone intervened on his behalf and they sent him to the same organization as Gotti.
So you see even organized crime makes trades, think they got futures.

Reactions: PWJunior and mm11

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
For those who didn't read Sammy the Bull's bio, he and Gotti were in different crime families initially.
Gotti tried to put a move on Sammy's bar one night and Sammy order his guys to shot to kill Gotti if things escalated.
But Sammy had an altercation with a Capo's son and they were going to take him out.
Someone intervened on his behalf and they sent him to the same organization as Gotti.

There are no futures in that line of work, just presents

Reactions: TMI and NC 1972

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Gotti must be Milbury because that acquisition didn’t work out good at all for him lol

Reactions: TMI and NC 1972

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

Think Winnipeg fans have great info like this?

Reactions: SI90 and NC 1972

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad