Prospect Info: Samuel Bolduc, Defence, 57th Overall

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
It's going to be interesting to see him with Bode Wilde with the Tigers this upcoming season, and who looks better? It would be great if both of these 2nd rd picks turned out. Realistically half of 2nd rd picks turn out. For some reason, I like Bolduc more. Mind you I have only seen highlights of both. But I think even if Bolduc's offensive potential is not fulfilled, he can be a good defender as Pelech has become, I recall Pelech in his last year in the OHL where he his game was more offensive, now he is one of the most reliable defenders in the game under the tutelage of Trotz. If Bolduc becomes a core top 4, with Dobson. <Just shook my head> What a top 2 pairs this would be:

Pulock~Pelech
Dobson~Bolduc
For sure, there are a lot of comparables with Wilde as well. I think the Pelech comparison is a bit different because he was already known as a top defensive dman at the draft and then had to work on his offensive game after to help him get to the next level, which isn't the case with Bolduc. But I do agree, if Bolduc can hit his upside, it'd go a long ways to rounding out a top defense in the future. It just depends on how he develops, but fortunately, developing defensemen is one area where I have a lot confidence in this organization to do well.

Reactions: buud

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
It's going to be interesting to see him with Bode Wilde with the Tigers this upcoming season, and who looks better? It would be great if both of these 2nd rd picks turned out. Realistically half of 2nd rd picks turn out. For some reason, I like Bolduc more. Mind you I have only seen highlights of both. But I think even if Bolduc's offensive potential is not fulfilled, he can be a good defender as Pelech has become, I recall Pelech in his last year in the OHL where he his game was more offensive, now he is one of the most reliable defenders in the game under the tutelage of Trotz. If Bolduc becomes a core top 4, with Dobson. <Just shook my head> What a top 2 pairs this would be:

Pulock~Pelech
Dobson~Bolduc

Pulock-Pelech
Dobson-Bolduc
Leduc-Song

thanks for the Bolduc comments .

Reactions: scott99

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Pulock~Pelech
Dobson~Bolduc
I hope Wilde develops too. He's a bit of a wild card but he has the tools.
Pulock-Pelech
Dobson-Bolduc
Leduc-Song

thanks for the Bolduc comments .
And Wilde. Cheers Sparkarus!

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Pulock~Pelech
Dobson~Bolduc

What about that Toews guy?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I really like Bolduc, he seems to have all of the physical traits to be successful in the NHL for 10+ years and the "knocks" on him are all things that are very teachable.

He should learn a lot in the AHL next season and, playing against men as opposed to kids, I think we see him ramp up the physical side of his game.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Apologies if I bumped this for nothing, but with the Q back underway I looked to see how Bolduc was doing ... annnnd .. I can't see that he's played, or is injured, or anything..

Anyone know what's happening with Bolduc?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Apologies if I bumped this for nothing, but with the Q back underway I looked to see how Bolduc was doing ... annnnd .. I can't see that he's played, or is injured, or anything..

Anyone know what's happening with Bolduc?
i think he's slated to play with the Sound Tigers this year?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Too young.
He will be 20 in December. With the AHL season not starting until February, he will be old enough. Could they potentially be holding him out of junior hockey to start him in the AHL when play begins?

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
He will be 20 in December. With the AHL season not starting until February, he will be old enough. Could they potentially be holding him out of junior hockey to start him in the AHL when play begins?

I assume that is the plan. It doesn't make sense for Bolduc to play any additional games in junior hockey, against kids, when he has the size and skill for the AHL right now and that will presumably be the next step for his development.

Reactions: buud

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
He's actually asked the Isles for permission to go back to the Q since the AHL isn't playing until Jan or maybe later and the Q's playing now.

Samuel Bolduc attend l’accord des Islanders

This is why Samuel Bolduc would like to return to Sherbrooke.
“Initially, we thought we would resume action in December in the NHL or the American League,” explains the man who planned to join the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. But here we are talking about a possible return in January or even in March. There is nothing like playing real games to keep in shape even if I was well surrounded during training this summer, ”explains Samuel Bolduc.
Days before the 2020 NHL Draft, Samuel Bolduc's agent made the request to the New York Islanders.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Dobber's latest write-up on this kid:

"January 2021 – Barry Trotz recently compared the 2019 second-round pick to Washington point-generating blueliner John Carlson. Bolduc’s former QMJHL coach Bruce Richardson responded by saying perennial Norris Trophy candidate Victor Hedman is a better comparison. Either way, the Isles hope Bolduc can resume his development soon in his pro debut with Bridgeport. The AHL is scheduled to begin its pandemic-delayed season Feb. 5. Mark Allan"

Pretty freaking lofty comps in Carlson and Hedman. Regardless, sounds like you guys might have a keeper in Bolduc. Any Isles fans have any insight on this kid? Any chance he can be a top paring D-man do you think?

Cheers!

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Who knows Samuel may turn out be the best pick for the Isles from the 2019 draft?

Here is an interesting video saying he was the #3 most underrated prospect.

this opened my eyes a bit. looking good!

so for next year...

Pelech
Leddy
Salo/Aho
Bolduc

not bad. maybe pick up a cheap, grizzled vet for 3rd pairing?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Bolduc reminds me of Mayfield. Good size, great skater for his size. Seems to have a good shot and can pass but piss poor hockey IQ that needs a coach to reign him in

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Bolduc reminds me of Mayfield. Good size, great skater for his size. Seems to have a good shot and can pass but piss poor hockey IQ that needs a coach to reign him in

I think there are definitely some comparisons to Mayfield's game, with similar refinements also needed. But hopefully Bolduc develops quicker.

Bolduc reminds me of Jakob Chychrun, one of the players that I was hoping the Isles might have a chance to snag in that draft class.

Similar abilities and physical attributes but, again, some questions about hockey sense and finding their way into trouble at times. Although I am hopeful Bolduc will be able to stay healthier and avoid the lower-body injuries that have plagued Chychrun.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Some big hype around Bolduc in Staple's latest: 'He's built for today's game': Samuel Bolduc makes case for Islanders roster

“He’s built for today’s game,” said Fortin, who was a 1997 second-round pick of the Capitals and played 71 games for Washington from 2001-04, also as a defenseman. “When I played, not that long ago but long enough, if you were as big as Sammy, you had to make sure toughness was your best skill. Now, with someone like him who can skate, makes good decisions and has real skill with the puck, you don’t need to be so physical.”
Barry Trotz still made sure to mention Bolduc’s physicality when praising the young player during camp. After Trotz split the players in camp between an NHL-and-taxi-squad group and others who were headed to Bridgeport’s camp, Bolduc got the nod to be the eighth defenseman with the NHL group to fill out the defense pairs.
“He’s worked every day, his confidence is growing,” Trotz said of Bolduc. “We needed to get to eight D and he was the most deserving. That’s good on him.”
Because of his size, Bolduc said he’s heard comparisons to Victor Hedman, which could be putting some undue pressure on a 20-year-old who was taken 57th overall in 2019. Bolduc had 43 points in 61 games last season, split between Blainville-Boisbriand and Sherbrooke, where he was traded in December. His offensive skills are well-regarded but not on the same level as fellow defense prospect Bode Wilde.
“We have two young defensemen — one’s ultra-skilled, one’s ultra-physical,” Trotz said of Wilde and Bolduc. “They’re both learning the fundamentals of being good defensemen.”
So Bolduc’s path to the NHL will be more as a two-way defenseman, perhaps more similar to Adam Pelech than Hedman. While Bolduc does have strong skating and passing skills, he may not be a Norris Trophy type.
“I mentioned Seth Jones a few times, even though I don’t like to compare younger guys to stars like that,” Fortin said. “Sammy is in the same mold as Seth Jones, it’s just not as filled in yet.”

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
this opened my eyes a bit. looking good!

so for next year...

Pelech
Leddy
Salo/Aho
Bolduc

not bad. maybe pick up a cheap, grizzled vet for 3rd pairing?

Are Pulock/Mayfield being traded?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Not to doubt you, but what makes you say this? Because there's few red flags worse than having a low hockey IQ since that's not fixable.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad