Prospect Info: Samuel Bolduc, Defence, 57th Overall

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Unless he plays like he is 5'5 out there it is confusing as to why he fell so much. In today's league (and I know we both talk about skating a ton) this is the type of guy that I could have seen getting drafted earlier than 57.

He can SKATE. This will be an interesting prospect to follow for sure.
Maybe his mind and vision have to catch up to his skating?

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hey guys, I’m bored and wanted to chat some prospects. Surprised there was no chatter on here about his offensive uptick after being traded. Has he figured out the offensive side of his game?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
It's hard to say, as Sherbrooke is an absolute powerhouse of a team in the Q (51-8-3 when the season was cut short) and they didn't have a good PP QB. On one hand, it's great he could go to a team like that and fit right in, but on the other hand it's unclear how much of his numbers there were due to his play and how much was him benefitting from playing on an offensive juggernaut. It's a situation where you need to have watched every game and I don't know if anyone here has done that.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Way too early to fully assess but...

How do we draft a guy like Bolduc? NHL size with some tangible skills.

Vs another second rounder, Robin Salo, who has never even teased us with any NHL potential.

Say what you want about MDC, Strome and Reinhart. Salo was a huge swing and a miss.

Wait... how does anyone in his right mind combine that first sentence with that last one in the same post???

As for your final sentence, how would you possibly assess that a defenseman who had been part of Finland's national team program since he was 15 and had 74 Liiga games (including one full season) under his belt by the time he was drafted in the 2nd round is a "huge swing"?

Furthermore, how did you determine he was a miss? He was coming off a 16-point Liiga performance for a lousy team in his first season as part of our organization at the time of your post. He was playing close to 20 minutes a night - as a 19-year old.

I get it... comedy is your forté.

In any case, Salo just finished his 2nd full season as an Islander prospect with 12 games for Orebro in the SHL. There, he had 6 points in 12 games and was on the team's 1st power play unit. Before that, he went 8-13-21 in 46 Liiga games with, once again, the same lousy team.

In another thread, we recently discussed a Swedish article where he pointed out that the Isles are in contact, were happy with the way his season ended, and are interested in bringing him to Bridgeport next season, but that nothing has yet been determined (i.e. no ELC yet) and that he has a current 1-year contract with Orebro. He stated that he'd make the move over now if the Islanders felt that was best.

Bolduc had a pretty fine post-draft year and as much as a few here were scratching their heads at the pick at that juncture, myself included (heck, no less than one serious publication didn't even view him getting drafted), the guy has a lot of tools for a man that size who is a reported workout monster.

Very excited to see him get signed next summer and start his pro career.

Glad that he and Salo are in the system.

Last edited:

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Wait... how does anyone in his right mind combine that first sentence with that last one in the same post???

As for your final sentence, how would you possibly assess that a defenseman who had been part of Finland's national team program since he was 15 and had 74 Liiga games (including one full season) under his belt by the time he was drafted in the 2nd round is a "huge swing"?

Furthermore, how did you determine he was a miss? He was coming off a 16-point Liiga performance for a lousy team in his first season as part of our organization at the time of your post. He was playing close to 20 minutes a night - as a 19-year old.

I get it... comedy is your forté.

In any case, Salo just finished his 2nd full season as an Islander prospect with 12 games for Orebro in the SHL. There, he had 6 points in 12 games and was on the team's 1st power play unit. Before that, he went 8-13-21 in 46 Liiga games with, once again, the same lousy team.

In another thread, we recently discussed a Swedish article where he pointed out that the Isles are in contact, were happy with the way his season ended, and are interested in bringing him to Bridgeport next season, but that nothing has yet been determined (i.e. no ELC yet) and that he has a current 1-year contract with Orebro. He stated that he'd make the move over now if the Islanders felt that was best.

Bolduc had a pretty fine post-draft year and as much as a few here were scratching their heads at the pick at that juncture, myself included (heck, no less than one serious publication didn't even view him getting drafted), the guy has a lot of tools for a man that size who is a reported workout monster.

Very excited to see him get signed next summer and start his pro career.

Glad that he and Salo are in the system.

Digging a bit into the archive?
That comment was made early on in the season and was taken a bit out of context.

Before I go further, you’re arguably the most informed poster here and I’m admittedly just an avid Isles fan so I’m on thin ice. For arguments sake, let’s get to the post.

My comments on Salo were a bit of hyperbole but I’m prone to that. Based on limited information, I’m still underwhelmed by him.

Let me ask you this. If Salo were available in the upcoming draft, would he still be picked at #46? He will be 22 yo when the season starts btw. I know Dmen mature later but the clock is ticking. Of course I still want him in the system but IMO he’s lost value since his draft day. Same goes for Ishakov.

As for Bolduc, my comments were in response to prior posts and were meant to be complimentary. Perhaps this was not communicated as clearly as I thought it would be. The intention of my comments were that he has size which can’t be taught and some tangible skills. In other words, I’m intrigued by his potential.

Last edited:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It was a shame the season was cut off early because Salo seems to be on an unpwards trajectory, going to Sweden and playing well. He probably needs a little more time in the SHL before making the jump but he seems to be on the up. I think he's an under the radar kind of prospect who has an outside chance of making it.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It was a shame the season was cut off early because Salo seems to be on an unpwards trajectory, going to Sweden and playing well. He probably needs a little more time in the SHL before making the jump but he seems to be on the up. I think he's an under the radar kind of prospect who has an outside chance of making it.

If I had to tip on a course of action, it'd be that they'll be leaving Salo in Sweden for next season, then give him his ELC.

Why waste the contract slot now?

And heck, he's in one of the best developmental leagues for U23 players on the planet anyways.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Digging a bit into the archive?

I admit, I tried to hold back, but corona isolation made me feel the need to comment despite the fact that the post was like 10 months old.

Daggnabbit, when people bump old threads...

My comments on Salo were a bit of hyperbole but I’m prone to that. Based on limited information, I’m still underwhelmed by him.

Well, there was definite reason to be underwhelmed after that post-draft season. No doubt. He fell off the face of the planet with a club getting relegated.

He bounced back the next season to reclaim the form of his draft year, then bumped it up a notch this year.

Let me ask you this. If Salo were available in the upcoming draft, would he still be picked at #46?

Tough question, because some drafts are better than others and "overagers" almost always lose out on value, due to contract obligations alone, if nothing else. Drafting him now would be like drafting our very own Sebastian Aho.

But if he were 18 right now and just had the season he had in Liiga and SHL, then he's basically a surefire 1st rounder.

So what's the context?

When I viewed him at the Ivan Hlinka heading into his draft season, it was clear that he simply had all the tools. Skating, physicality, puck smarts, awareness, PP QB potential - the package is there.

He will be 22 yo when the season starts btw. I know Dmen mature later but the clock is ticking. Of course I still want him in the system but IMO he’s lost value since his draft day. Same goes for Ishakov.

I'd say Aho is a guy for whom the clock is ticking. 4 seasons of SHL play and now 3 seasons of AHL play. You kind of know what you're getting. Either you think he's an NHLer or you don't.

In general, I see what you're getting at. Just don't know if Salo's status as a mid-range 2nd rounder in a draft that wasn't thought of well (the first round has been just fine!) has led to a drop in value. If the kid turns into another Pelech or Toews, are we gonna care that it took 5-6 years?

I mean, there's no real rush as long as the proper development is being given. And if others jump ahead of him along the way, well then good for us! The more options, the merrier.

Not sure about why Iskhakov is mentioned here. I mean, we drafted him just two summers ago and he's played two seasons of college hockey since, the second slighhhhtly better than the first. A kid his size going to a new country and taking on academics at the same time is a project anyways. I'm actually one of the folks here who really doesn't care for this pick in light of some of the names on the board. Been fairly vocal about it.

If we're reallllly lucky, he may become a Zuccarello type. Gotta hope he turns into an option like that.

As for Bolduc, my comments were in response to prior posts and were meant to be complimentary. Perhaps this was not communicated as clearly as I thought it would be. The intention of my comments were that he has size which can’t be taught and some tangible skills. In other words, I’m intrigued by his potential.

As am I. No argument here; see it the same way.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Never seen this kid so is he Scott Mayfield , Andy Sutton , or Ty Wishart ? Ok , or Denis Potvin?

Stay safe all

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I liked what I saw in one preseason game. Tools were there, was really just looking to judge his gap and see if he uses his size. Skating was better than what I expected.

Be nice if this kid could be an NHL regular because he has some nice size to him and I still like for my defense to have size to it.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Will this cause any expansion draft issues for our team . Thanks all

I don't believe that any of the kids we've added since Lamoriello's first draft play any role on the expansion draft.

Not a one of them.

In fact, I don't think guys like Bellows will play any role either.

It all depends on some mixture of being past the ELC and having played a certain amount of games in the NHL.

Barzal, Beau, Toews, Pelech, and Pulock will all be guys they'll need to protect.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought this was a good read. Had a progressive camp and D+1. The Isles will need him to develop this year at the pro level, thankfully he is eligible if there is going to be AHL hockey this season at some point. Maybe he can become a Pelech type of key player. That is the hope. He could be an ideal partner for Dobson down the line. Isles are going to need some ELC's on the roster with the cap not going up anytime soon.

Islanders: What you need to know about Samuel Bolduc

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Never seen this kid so is he Scott Mayfield , Andy Sutton , or Ty Wishart ? Ok , or Denis Potvin?

Stay safe all
He reminds me a lot of Pulock as a prospect. A lot of similar strengths: great shot/onetimer and loves to shoot, strong kid, good stride. And a lot of the same weaknesses: gap control needs work, not great foot speed, not particularly physical, still pretty raw, passing game just OK. Of course, this doesn't mean I project him with Pulock as his upside, as a lot of what we have in Pulock right now is due to development and Pulock was a stronger overall prospect to start. But he does have nice upside, and I could see him being a 2-4 defenseman, but also think he'll need a good 2-3 years in the AHL before he's ready. Not surprised to see him signed, but glad to see it nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparksrus3

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He reminds me a lot of Pulock as a prospect. A lot of similar strength: great shot/onetimer and loves to shoot, strong kid, good stride. And a lot of the same weaknesses: gap control needs work, not great foot speed, not particularly physical, still pretty raw, passing game just OK. Of course, this doesn't mean I project him with Pulock as his upside, as a lot of what we have in Pulock right now is due to development and Pulock was a stronger overall prospect to start. But he does have nice upside, and I could see him being a 2-4 defenseman, but also think he'll need a good 2-3 years in the AHL before he's ready. Not surprised to see him signed, but glad to see it nonetheless.
It's going to be interesting to see him with Bode Wilde with the Tigers this upcoming season, and who looks better? It would be great if both of these 2nd rd picks turned out. Realistically half of 2nd rd picks turn out. For some reason, I like Bolduc more. Mind you I have only seen highlights of both. But I think even if Bolduc's offensive potential is not fulfilled, he can be a good defender as Pelech has become, I recall Pelech in his last year in the OHL where he his game was more offensive, now he is one of the most reliable defenders in the game under the tutelage of Trotz. If Bolduc becomes a core top 4, with Dobson. <Just shook my head> What a top 2 pairs this would be:

Pulock~Pelech
Dobson~Bolduc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad