Prospect Info: Samuel Bolduc, Defence, 57th Overall

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
No - But you are born with the ability to learn it (or not).

Sure, but not having the IQ now doesn't mean you can't develop later. I don't think Mayfield is a particularly dumb player. He has moments, but he's not someone that makes bonehead play after bonehead play. It can be taught and certain players fit into certain systems better than others.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I do think 80% of the league will never be in the top 20% in terms of hockey IQ, regardless of how much they're taught. While the guys with the low IQ are learning, the guys with the high IQ are learning too. It's not like the latter just typically plateau or stagnate.
But the flip side is that even if you're never going to be brilliant in 20% of the situations, you can be rock solid in the most common 80%, thereby increasing your effectiveness and helping to control a game.
I'm fine with taking a late second rounder whose floor is high because he's big and fast and can hit 100+ with his shot, as long as he's (and here's the big thing for me) willing to put in the effort. I think Lou took character and teachability in rounds 2 > end. And, in fact, in reading up on Holmstrom, it seems he did there, too.
Let's see where these guys are in 4 years...

For now, let's please get our captain signed, our goalie of the present signed, and one offensive wizard of the highest order.

Reactions: Quicklime

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think you can have some natural ability there, but there are certainly things that can be taught. You don't just wake up one day and know everything about how to play your position.
For real. A year ago, most on here were talking about how Pelech and Mayfield had abysmal hockey sense. After a season in a well coached system, people aren't complaining about them anymore. While an innate "sense" maybe can't be taught, it can be learned by experience, and more importantly, a good system that is instituted effectively will go a long ways to ease the decision making process for such a player. Really, it's the main point of a good system.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Isles really adding to their strength. Quality and depth on D.

He looks like a coke machine out there and then you see him skate... I think we might have something here. Lou himself mentioned Scott Mayfield when talking about Bolduc, I think this kid is a better skater at the same stage.

This kid destroyed the combine and is a supposed workout nut. The size/mobility combo is eye opening. He'll also have a bigger role next year on his Q team. There's a lot to like here.

darknife2311

Jun 29, 2018
I like your pick with Bolduc I saw him since 2 years with armada he's very strong defenseman good shot, good skating he need to be more physical for a guy who made 6"4 ... need to be more gritty but you have a very nice guy outside the rink little bit shy despite his shape...I wish the habs take it with their 50th pick.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Thought he had a solid game. Nice package of mobility, size, even decision making (for a pickup game).

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Way too early to fully assess but...

How do we draft a guy like Bolduc? NHL size with some tangible skills.

Vs another second rounder, Robin Salo, who has never even teased us with any NHL potential.

Say what you want about MDC, Strome and Reinhart. Salo was a huge swing and a miss.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Was really impressed with this kid today in the scrimmage. His skating is a plus even if he's 6'4 200+.

Unless he plays like he is 5'5 out there it is confusing as to why he fell so much. In today's league (and I know we both talk about skating a ton) this is the type of guy that I could have seen getting drafted earlier than 57.

He can SKATE. This will be an interesting prospect to follow for sure.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->