Prospect Info: Samuel Bolduc, Defence, 57th Overall

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Rangers fan coming in to say you guys got one of my favorites. Here’s my report on him

45. “Samuel Bolduc-Bolduc is a 6’4 physically developed defenseman. Bolduc excels in the defensive zone with his active stick and physicality. Bolduc is also a good skater for his size and occasionally has showed untapped upside with his puck rushes but he lacks the creativity and offensive ability to be a big point producer. His skating and defensive qualities make him excellent on the back check and he’s very difficult to beat 1 on 1. Bolduc’s main problem though seems to be his IQ or overall awareness, he seems to think the game slower and it shows when there is sustained offensive pressure. Bolduc can often lose his man. Has upside to be a modern defensive defenseman though.”

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Rangers fan coming in to say you guys got one of my favorites. Here’s my report on him

45. “Samuel Bolduc-Bolduc is a 6’4 physically developed defenseman. Bolduc excels in the defensive zone with his active stick and physicality. Bolduc is also a good skater for his size and occasionally has showed untapped upside with his puck rushes but he lacks the creativity and offensive ability to be a big point producer. His skating and defensive qualities make him excellent on the back check and he’s very difficult to beat 1 on 1. Bolduc’s main problem though seems to be his IQ or overall awareness, he seems to think the game slower and it shows when there is sustained offensive pressure. Bolduc can often lose his man. Has upside to be a modern defensive defenseman though.”

Trade him for Robertson :P

Reactions: Ricklongisland

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Literally just about the #1 thing that would make me eliminate a prospect from consideration. Not sure if true, but if it is my excitement level just went way down.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Literally just about the #1 thing that would make me eliminate a prospect from consideration. Not sure if true, but if it is my excitement level just went way down.

It's why he went 57 OA and not 17OA. Still young and can be corrected with proper guidance and coaching. He will be learning from Trotz & Co. Playing in camps with Dobson.... I still like the pick, remember these are words and simply one persons opinion.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It's why he went 57 OA and not 17OA. Still young and can be corrected with proper guidance and coaching. He will be learning from Trotz & Co. Playing in camps with Dobson.... I still like the pick, remember these are words and simply one persons opinion.

We'll see, but I think intangibles really can't be taught. If you said his skating stride was off or he needed to get bigger...That's very coachable, but not having a good hockey IQ...? Doubtful.

Do I trust our coaching staff? More than you know, but sometimes there's only so much they can do.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
2019 NHL Draft: Who are the most underrated defensemen available? - TheHockeyNews

"Samuel Bolduc, LHD (Blainville-Boisbriand, QMJHL – No. 42 NA)
Trying to get through Bolduc is like trying to drive an automobile through a brick wall. He thrived in a top-pairing role on Blainville-Boisbriand, putting up 37 points in 65 games. The biggest knock on his game is how he can get caught letting opponents move freely around the net and that he sometimes doesn’t use his size to his advantage when in front of his own crease. However, he has the power one craves from a bottom-pairing NHL defender."

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
After watching some videos on Bolduc his skating is quite good even has some skill to his game. Needs to clean his game some as he makes some stupid turnovers and needs to be a bit more physical as he is really freaking strong. You see him just toss players when he want to. One more thing this guy has a bomb of a shot. I’m talking Pulock bomb level.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
After watching some videos on Bolduc his skating is quite good even has some skill to his game. Needs to clean his game some as he makes some stupid turnovers and needs to be a bit more physical as he is really freaking strong. You see him just toss players when he want to. One more thing this guy has a bomb of a shot. I’m talking Pulock bomb level.

He needs reps, but the size/speed combo is quite nice. 2 more years in the Q and we'll see what we've got in him. If he could be a cross of Pelech with some Mayfield in him, could be a nice underrated find. We can be very patient with him.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He needs reps, but the size/speed combo is quite nice. 2 more years in the Q and we'll see what we've got in him. If he could be a cross of Pelech with some Mayfield in him, could be a nice underrated find. We can be very patient with him.
They started using him on the point of the pp more towards the middle of the year setting up one timers. They they got smarter like the islanders did with Pulock they put Bolduc on the circle to set up his one timer. I think he has good offensive upside as well.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I like this pick. He has the requisite NHL size and speed. He can be brought along slowly, given the Isles depth on defense, and coached up. It sounds he just needs reps and experience.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
We watched an islanders team, that for the most part was the same exact unit go from worst goals against the best.

Shows me, it can be taught. However, what this kid possess cant be coached. Size and very good mobility.

If the kid was the complete package, hed be a first rounder, but at this stage I'd rather take the measurables and try and coach em up. Instead of the heads up player who is limited, especially when it comes to foot speed.

Reactions: PROMputt

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We'll see, but I think intangibles really can't be taught. If you said his skating stride was off or he needed to get bigger...That's very coachable, but not having a good hockey IQ...? Doubtful.

Do I trust our coaching staff? More than you know, but sometimes there's only so much they can do.

How exactly do you think players end up with good hockey IQ?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think you can have some natural ability there, but there are certainly things that can be taught. You don't just wake up one day and know everything about how to play your position.

No - But you are born with the ability to learn it (or not).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad