Sammy G

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Sorry for making a thread just for this, but how is Sammy G, I haven't been able to catch many games since start of the year due to work, and them collapsing. I think he will be good for 35-40 pts but overall how do you see his ceiling #2?-#3? also I remember him saying he was now 188lbs is that correct? For a D-man his height and age i'd say hes pretty impressive.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think he will be best suited as a #3. It depends on whether his shot improves. I think he can produce like Jared Spurgeon and be a consistent 30+ guy.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Girard? I don't want to talk about his ceiling. I just lean back and smile. 20 years, 136 games, very good already, developing nicely and still with a lot of room and potential to grow offensively. I love the kid.

Reactions: maxim84 and arun

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Kyle Turris is not looking too hot atm. 20 points in 41 games, 6 million cap hit for 5 more years. Its entirely possible Nashville would want to get rid of him in the not too distant future.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
He's been a lot better as of late. Had a rough stretch during the Avs losing streak where he was making some boneheaded plays, but he seems to be getting back into a groove. He's so smooth with the puck, and I sometimes forget that he's only 20. Had a play last night where he diced through the entire Canucks defense and almost buried a wrist shot but Markstrom was hot.

I don't see any reason he can't be a high-end 2/3D for a long time. He's not the biggest guy, but he's so effective with his stick defensively that he wins a good share of his battles. I personally see him as a ~40 point #2 D who anchors the PP2. Spurgeon would be a similar type.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Oh, I like him a lot, his skating, puck handling and I see tons of potential, definately one of my favorit Avs players. For me he already belongs to the core and also the future core of this team. He is a really important part of the offensive game, defensively he may have some flaws but it's not his fault he is lacking some size.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
He’s getting better. He’s been great defensively and even starting to hit a little. If he can fix his muffin of a shot he’ll be real good.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
He looks really good at times and still green at times but to me he is coming along great. For his size, he doesn't shy away from the puck like Barrie did at that age. He is making Barrie look less and less important to our team. Bright future ahead!!

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He looks really good at times and still green at times but to me he is coming along great. For his size, he doesn't shy away from the puck like Barrie did at that age. He is making Barrie look less and less important to our team. Bright future ahead!!

He’s looked great lately but he definitely doesn’t make Barrie expendable. They’re two different players who perform different roles with different skill sets.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He's been great the last 15-20 games. He's skating the puck and getting some good chances. It's actually strange how few points he has. He needs to work on his shot.

His stick is also extremely short...I know he's small, but it's looks even small for him. It's a child's stick.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He's been playing some of his best hockey ever lately, the points will start to come soon enough.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He's been great the last 15-20 games. He's skating the puck and getting some good chances. It's actually strange how few points he has. He needs to work on his shot.

His stick is also extremely short...I know he's small, but it's looks even small for him. It's a child's stick.
Have we played that many games since the all star break? He was pretty bad before the all star break but since the break I think hes done well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sammy without a doubt is my favorite Av to watch. His skill set is really different and unique for this team.

I'd say he's been playing some of his best hockey the last 20 games. His shot attempts and SOG started to go up at that point, he's been a 53.7% CF player since then and has been on the ice for 19 even strength goals for and 10 against while playing the second most even strength minutes on the team in that span too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

His shot is the reason he doesn’t get many points. It doesn’t have the velocity to create rebounds and it isn’t good enough to beat goalies clean. He’ll start to pick up more assists as he continues to develop as a player but his shot needs a lot of work if he ever wants to be a 10 goal dman.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I love Sammy. You don't see the spinorama quite as much as last year, I assume teams have keyed in on that, but he's quite crafty and probably our smartest defender.

Can't see him ever being a Barrie esque point producer but Spurgeon 2.0 would be amazing.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Have we played that many games since the all star break? He was pretty bad before the all star break but since the break I think hes done well.
Id say he's been better for 15-20 games-ish? Certainly moving the puck a lot better. Skating with it into the zone.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO he will eventually be a 40 pt two-way dman which is very respectable. A very good top-4.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Sammy isn't a finisher and I don't think he ever will be even if he works on his shot.

The rest of his offensive toolbox is great, but I honestly don't think we need him to be a point producer. It would just be the cherry on top if he did (ideally after he signed him to long-term contract for peanuts).

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
If he gets to the next level, where he can skate in, and make some nice dish passes, or starts shooting accurately, he could be a 50 pt + Dman. He doesn't have the cannon from the point, but a wrister can be just as deadly if it's accurate.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
IMO he will eventually be a 40 pt two-way dman which is very respectable. A very good top-4.

I don’t see it honestly. He’ll get a decent amount of assists but he’ll never score enough to consistently hit 40pts.

Basically I want him to become Spurgeon 2.0

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t see it honestly. He’ll get a decent amount of assists but he’ll never score enough to consistently hit 40pts.

Basically I want him to become Spurgeon 2.0

I think he could get 40 with a different approach. Probably not consistently though.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
He’s looked great lately but he definitely doesn’t make Barrie expendable. They’re two different players who perform different roles with different skill sets.

Who is replacing Barrie on our dreadful 3 on 3? If Girard gets injured then bednar goes back with Barrie. I get they are different players. One actually has been playing decent defense. Barrie has been my favorite Av for a couple seasons but I think G can take allot of his minutes going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad