Confirmed with Link: Sammy Blais re-signs 1 year 850k (1 Way contract)

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Sammy Blais has been one of our most impressive forwards this season. It has been eye opening for me. Quickly becoming one of my favorite players, and not just for his physicality. He has some serious skill in the O-Zone.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He's been held off the score sheet in 4 straight games after starting the year with 5 points in 5 games. I'm not at all critical of his play as I think he has been pretty good over those games. I bring it up only to discuss just how hard it is to be a 40-50 point player in the NHL. Given his willingness to sacrifice the body, he is likely to miss a few games at some point due to a minor injury and I'd wager that he will bounce back and forth between the 2nd and 3rd lines throughout the season.

There are a lot of scenarios where we are all really, really happy with his season but he doesn't post the numbers that will make his next contract super difficult to fit.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah 30+ points from him is more than acceptable. He's only 23, he has lots of time.

He should have gotten a point last night from that beautiful move he made to set up a tap-in goal for Thomas.

Kid has a lot of skill.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
He's created a lot of chances that haven't resulted in points. Still not sure why they haven't reunited him with ROR and Perron.
He would be a great fit there! Unfortunately Sanford looks completely lost when he is not playing with those 2, so I assume that’s why they haven’t tried Blais on the 2nd line.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
He's created a lot of chances that haven't resulted in points. Still not sure why they haven't reunited him with ROR and Perron.

I get why, but I would much rather have him with ROR/DP57 at this point. I wonder if Chief would run out something like this on Friday.

Schwartz-Schenn-Kostin
Blais-O’Reilly-Perron
Sanford-Bozak-Thomas
DLR/MacMac-Barbashev-Sundqvist

12-21-18 looked really good in the brief time they were together a few weeks back.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
To be fair, Blais hasn't done much offensively when he wasn't paired with ROR/Perron, either. I would agree he offers more overall than Sanford, but I remain skeptical of Blais offensive prowess. He has tunnel vision and doesn't have a lot of moves besides trying to skate past the defender.

And he needs to watch those high hits.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
To be fair, Blais hasn't done much offensively when he wasn't paired with ROR/Perron, either. I would agree he offers more overall than Sanford, but I remain skeptical of Blais offensive prowess. He has tunnel vision and doesn't have a lot of moves besides trying to skate past the defender.

And he needs to watch those high hits.

Blais has as many points in the last 10 games (playing away from ROR/Perron) as Sanford has in his 14 games played this season.

Sanford has 1 point this year that was scored while ROR or Perron were on the ice and he has been playing regular minutes on their line for weeks now. Blais vastly outproduced Sanford on that line and is outproducing him from the 3rd line as well (but by a smaller margin). Blais' 3 points over his last 10 games in a bottom 6 role is a better pace than Sanford's career best season.

No one thinks Blais is an elite offensive player, but he has been unquestionably significantly better offensively than Sanford all season. Sanford has been catastrophically bad offensively on the 2nd line. At 5 on 5, the Sanford-ROR-Perron line has been our worst offensive line by a mile for 2 weeks now. The 3 of them have combined for 0 goals and 2 assists at 5 on 5 in the 6 games we have played in November. Sanford got a secondary assist on a goal by Thomas and ROR got an assist on a goal by Gunnar. That goal by Gunnar is the only 5 on 5 goal the Blues have scored with that line on the ice in our last 6 games.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blais is such an underrated part of the Blues success imo. His physicality is huge

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
He plays a hard game. I was amazed at how much hitting he was doing last night.

Besides hitting, he was really controlling the puck and getting some good looks.

He will be missed. I think he's been our most consistent player this season.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
This is a kick to the balls. He was currently playing his best hockey! He does it all.... he’s our hit leader, one of our fastest skaters, and his playmaking/hands were getting better by the game.

To me Blais has been our most entertaining player to watch. It seems like you notice him every shift.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Oh and how that wasn’t at LEAST a boarding call on the no-name lightning player is beyond me. Drove him face first into the boards, with a cut on his eye. And it was his wrist that got hurt

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad