GDT: "Samkow Memorial Game Day Thread" | Game 8 | Columbus vs. Arizona | 10/23 7PM

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you watched the post game , you will understand why this team has always sucked . Absolutely 0 accountability , our press ask the most leading , softball questions that I’ve ever seen . Fans want answers , not cliche bs statements . This crap wouldn’t fly in a big city. I can guarantee the press would have a different mindset, and we saw it on display , after Saturday’s loss to Purdue , by the buckeyes . This franchise is creeping into dangerous times . Fans aren’t showing up, heck even around here , most gdts are 7 or 8 pages .

I hear this a lot here and I have no idea what you are thinking of. The Leafs just lost three straight and the media narrative there was "growing pains". Do you have an example of media creating harsher accountability in the locker room?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Okay listen Bus Jr.

So, I see I've been "summoned"... :vampire:

No, that's not Bob's fault either.

He had a cross creases (on a partial 2 on 0/.5) and off the rush on a tap in. The Fischer goals were all unstoppable or nearly unstoppabble.

Do you not see how in your mind nothing will ever be his "fault"? :dunno:

The goals that were scored off the quick passes could have EASILY been stopped. For 1 pretty SIMPLE reason. In both situations the passer wasn't in ANY sort of position to shoot on net/score. AND, there was only 1 player who was an actual threat, and he scored both times. An "elite" or "above average intelligence" goalie should/would be able to "read" or "see" this before the passes were even made across the ice. I have more of a problem with the 1 that was down low than I do the 1 that came off the boards. The passer (the puck) was literally INCHES off the goal line. In this situation especially, he should have predicted or known that a pass was going to come/go across the crease like that. Instead, his "reaction" and/or lateral movement IS ACTUALLY SLOW, as highlighted AGAIN in goal 4, and MANY other goals scored this year (AND in the past) MANY of them being (high) glove side.

Lets not act like the guy was walking all the way in alone or did anything to "freeze" Bob. It was a pretty textbook giveaway into a 3 on 2, with a shot from the top of the circles, and he quite literally barely flinched. Its a 2 goal game at that point. But hey, its a long season, huh? Don't wanna get TOO bruised up TOO early now do we? Or tweak a groin before a new contract. :banghead:

But you know, this will be dismissed as being a "Bob fanboy," and I don't really care because nothing I say will change people's minds. So go ahead, and be mad, and want Bobrovsky to struggle and lose games so your hot takes can be right. That makes sense as a CBJ fan. (you're not alone here)

This is the most "laughable" ironic thing coming from you. Remember, my whole "crow-related mocking" of YOU and OTHERS is based on THE FACT that you don't think the team as a whole is GOOD, and think they HAVENT BEEN for 2-3 years now, ever since "Jojo the only 1C ever" was traded (for a "3rd pair D") and the team ended up drafting 3rd overall. AND YOUVE BEEN WRONG THE ENTIRE TIME EVER SINCE. And still are . :rant:

And AGAIN lets not act like this % of people have EVER been this "negative" regarding Bob's overall ability or his future with the team. The narrative that he is 1 of, if not THE player that positively affects the team the most has been passed off as "fact" for as long as I can remember. And yes, I have been attempting to show that this is NOT true and that the TEAM/defense has a positive effect on HIM, not the other way around.

But, after the playoffs last year (after the PO's before) and the preseason and start of this year, you ARE RIGHT, there IS nothing you can say ANYMORE to change anybody's mind. That's all reliant on Bob's on-ice play. You say "struggle and lose games" as if the CBJ have lost a game this year when Bob hasn't started. The 'strength of schedule' argument is about as good as the 'games in hand' defense of Vinny T and F-L-A.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And Milano, Harrington AND Kukan can spend some time in the 'video room' or AHL with f***ing Carlsson. Sedlak makes way more shit happen on the ice than Milano.

Lets get Clendening back in, and see a bit of Robinson, Vigneault, Stenlund, somebody....

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So in the .15 second between the release and it going in the net you wanted more effort, you say? He just doesn't want it enough, you think?

REALLY you guys are gonna defend him on this goal? It was a good shot, but lets not act like it was unstoppable in any way or the guy picked a corner or went off the post. Bob BARELY MOVED. We obviously don't have the "explanation", but his lack of movement is something you cant argue.

Are you saying that this "elite", "Vezina", "Hasek level" goalie is only all of these things when he's "ready"?

Is this the new excuse? You would think a guy who gets paid millions and millions of dollars to stop pucks during hockey games would be prepared to stop pucks during a hockey game. No? :huh:

"Not Ready Bobrovsky"

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
NHL.com - Stats

Bob has a 87.2 save percentage. 30th among 31 goalies who have appeared in 5 games.

His GAA is 3.87 which is 29th among the 31.

He's playoff Bob/Steve Mason of his last 3 years in Columbus level awful. Probably time to get him to waive his NMC and move on without him.

Reactions: thebus88 and CBJSTH

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This is the most "laughable" ironic thing coming from you. Remember, my whole "crow-related mocking" of YOU and OTHERS is based on THE FACT that you don't think the team as a whole is GOOD, and think they HAVENT BEEN for 2-3 years now, ever since "Jojo the only 1C ever" was traded (for a "3rd pair D") and the team ended up drafting 3rd overall. AND YOUVE BEEN WRONG THE ENTIRE TIME EVER SINCE. And still are . :rant:

And AGAIN lets not act like this % of people have EVER been this "negative" regarding Bob's overall ability or his future with the team. The narrative that he is 1 of, if not THE player that positively affects the team the most has been passed off as "fact" for as long as I can remember. And yes, I have been attempting to show that this is NOT true and that the TEAM/defense has a positive effect on HIM, not the other way around.

But, after the playoffs last year (after the PO's before) and the preseason and start of this year, you ARE RIGHT, there IS nothing you can say ANYMORE to change anybody's mind. That's all reliant on Bob's on-ice play. You say "struggle and lose games" as if the CBJ have lost a game this year when Bob hasn't started. The 'strength of schedule' argument is about as good as the 'games in hand' defense of Vinny T and F-L-A.

I'm not even going to reply to the Bob stuff, because its like talking to a wall.

This team ISN'T very good. It wasn't last year and it isn't this year. Making the playoffs makes you above average. We were one point from being below average. If losing the the Cup champs in back to back series' (which weren't that close) is your version of being good, well, then they're elite.

Carried by our goalie, first defensive pairing, and a hot first line. We won two games that were one goal away from losing, lost one game we were one goal away from winning, and got blown out in two others. The series wasn't that close, although it was closer than the Pittsburgh series. So, yay a step up (BTW that team was better than the year prior, although the talent on last years team was better).

I went back and looked at the Seth Jones trade thread. Not once did I call him a bottom pairing defenseman. Not once. PLD isn't exactly disproving the sophomore slump narrative either. Far too early to call him a first line center.

Bob isn't playing up to his usual play, that much is certain. However, let's not act like we're not giving up prime opportunities night in and night out. It's not like he's getting beaten on soft outside shots consistently. He's let in a few shots that we're all accustomed to him making. I think he'll turn it around. And if not, guess what? We're sunk. Korpisalo isn't carrying anything, as well as he played in his two starts. Also, good news for you, he's leaving after this year.

You also act like if Bob started playing better you'd give him any sort of props. Regardless of how many saves, where the saves were, or whoever he was playing, you'd point to how good Jones/Murray/whoever were on defense to make Bob's job easier. While it may be true, YOU WILL NOT ONCE GIVE HIM CREDIT. ZERO. You do the same to your other usual targets.

Now I am done responding to you, quite frankly it is tiring. It's quite funny how you try to portray yourself as this ultimate CBJ fan yet you're the one who shits on our players the most, then you hide behind the "I THINK THIS TEAM IS GOOD AND YOU GUYS DON'T" thing. If the team is as good as you think, then it wouldn't have issues such as #1 Center, goalie, etc.

This (probably) isn't a playoff team. It CERTAINLY isn't without Bob playing well, and CERTAINLY isn't when we trade Panarin unless we get an impact player in return. I WILL quote your dumbass statement from GDT #7 in April (which you probably won't be around or will ignore as per usual), and other than that I will try to restrain myself from commenting on your posts until said post is proven correct/incorrect.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I found the analytical tidbits part of Portzline’s game recap fairly interesting.. Granted I’m not someone who typically checks this stuff.

• If there’s any rust on Jones, it’s minimal. He played the most minutes of any skater on either team tonight (27:24) and in all situations. In five-on-five play, he had the third-best differential relative to his teammates in both shot attempts (plus-12) and scoring chances (plus-8).

• In terms of Savard’s new role, the defenseman played 17:34, third among all Jackets defensemen. The majority of that was with Kukan (10:39). He also spent just under two minutes with Ryan Murray. The Savard-Kukan pairing came out on the plus side of shot attempt differential (plus-3) and scoring chance differential (plus-4).

• Based on Tuesday night’s play, the Jackets should have scored more than they did. Corsica.hockey had the expected goals for Columbus at 4.14, while Moneypuck.com put the team at 3.59 goals that should have been scored.

• Using shot quality measures from Moneypuck.com, here are the chances each shot should have become a goal for the Arizona scores tonight:
  • Goal 1 (Fischer) 8.9% chance of scoring
  • Goal 2 (Strome) 69.3% chance of scoring
  • Goal 3 (Fischer) 14.8% chance of scoring
  • Goal 4 (Fischer) 11.6% chance of scoring
• Sergei Bobrovsky’s save percentage was 1.8 percent below expectations. Kuemper was 8.8 percent above expectations.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Still can't believe the front office and coaching jokers got extended this summer instead of going through this season and seeing where the team stood. Just means firing them gets more expensive

Don't worry they won't be fired. I truly believe ownership has no effin clue of what to do. Maybe, at a minimum they could switch Torts with one of the assistants to bring a new voice to two different areas. :sarcasm:

The one thing I'm sure of is that Bob's pissed offedness is not the reason for his play. He keeps playing like this and he will still be able to point to Carey Price as a comparative.:sarcasm:

:help:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Still can't believe the front office and coaching jokers got extended this summer instead of going through this season and seeing where the team stood. Just means firing them gets more expensive
Just means owner doesn't care.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
GDT's just aren't it for me anymore. Pretty tiring after only game 8. Go Jackets, and I'll see you guys around.

I only really participate when I'm home alone watching the game and drinking (a lot). There's really no point except entertainment, and that's the only way I find it entertaining. Cheers to you sir!

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Don't worry they won't be fired. I truly believe ownership has no effin clue of what to do. Maybe, at a minimum they could switch Torts with one of the assistants to bring a new voice to two different areas. :sarcasm:

The one thing I'm sure of is that Bob's pissed offedness is not the reason for his play. He keeps playing like this and he will still be able to point to Carey Price as a comparative.:sarcasm:

:help:

John P has always been an absentee owner. There is no doubt in my mind he'd get rid of this albatross of a team, if it weren't for his dad's commitment to the city, so he can't really pull the plug now. I don't think he has any desire whatsoever to be a pro sports team owner. Jarmo and JD are running the show here, without a doubt.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Eeek, team is bringing out the worst in us fans.
Emotions are high, I get it - but let's not forget the team is what brought us here together in the first place.

They're too good to be this bad - they'll turn it around, but I feel something has to be done about the Bob & Bread situation. As much as no one wants to admit it, it's likely affecting the room.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I wonder if any of the media members will try doing their damn job and ask Torts a tough question or try being critical of him.

Sports media members love the free spread trays of food and soda, VIP Access, press box atmosphere, free parking, and an unblocked view of the action. One phone call from the CBJ media relations team and that is gone. The media members will not risk that.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think we need to accept that this is middling team. Not tanking bad, but nowhere close to Stanley Cup great.

I don't entirely disagree, but I think "nowhere close" is a bit misleading. I think one single piece could push them to contender status, it'd just have to be a good piece. I also think some of the youngsters could develop into that piece, or in combination could achieve the same impact.

I keep going back to how young the team is and feeling comforted by it.

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
GDT's just aren't it for me anymore. Pretty tiring after only game 8. Go Jackets, and I'll see you guys around.
Get back here, CBJW10! Your takes are needed as they keep the Board lively. People may not always agree with you - sometimes you're a contrarian.....but a thoughtful contrarian.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think we need to accept that this is middling team. Not tanking bad, but nowhere close to Stanley Cup great.
You may be right. I think this team should still make the playoffs, but a run at the Cup seems a huge reach. And I don't think it's a fixable issue this year. Their only slight chance is if Bob payed out of his mind this year. And don't construe this as calling out Bob, rather it's asking from him a Herculean effort.

I think the next 10 games are critical as it's at that point I would be making some decisions about trading Bob and Bread, even if it's for futures that I can use as trade assets for more NHL ready players.

Reactions: Monk

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Bob is a $7 million goalie that's playing like a $2 million goalie and expects to be paid like a $10 million goalie.
Riley Nash is the new Samuel Pahlsson.
Boone Jenner doesn't hit anybody anymore.
Nobody on this team gets in front of the net and redirects shots.
Special teams are putrid.

As far as being one piece away from being a legit Stanley Cup contender, yeah - if that piece were Crosby or McDavid. We have a pretty good team, but that's all we are - pretty good. And our current record doesn't even indicate that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad