GDT: "Samkow Memorial Game Day Thread" | Game 8 | Columbus vs. Arizona | 10/23 7PM

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not watching the games I take it?
Watched 4 of the 8. 2 in person.

I'm not saying he's got no use. He is what he is. A below average skater and passer who is willing to go to the dirty areas. I call these players plugs. They are more about desire than talent.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
No it doesn't. If he drops that likely going over his shoulder. Going into a butterfly wouldn't have changed anything.

Uh, what? Watch it again. The puck hits the back of the net about 3 feet up. From the angles I've seen, it seems like a decent shot. If he would've dropped like he should've, it very well could have still missed his glove or gone over his pad, like the goal actually did. It would have went in the "same" spot, NOT over his glove. So in that respect I guess you are right, it wouldn't have changed anything....possibly.

It's not even close to an easy save or a save you expect a goalie to make. The guy was wide open a few feet from the hashmarks and ripped one. It looks like maybe Fischer tried to elevate it more than he did and that made it so Bob couldn't read the release. The only way for a goalie to stop a puck in that situation is to read the release,

I have no doubt that Bob's mindset is off and that's really contributing to his poor play. But effort to make a save? That's your explanation? I would never question that, and not for most any goalie. Think about what the position entails, effort is not the hard part of their job. They always try to stop pucks. If there is a problem with mindset, it leads to poor focus.

Really, it seems like the issue here (other than Bob's on-ice play) is semantics. He "easily" could have made that last save. Along with all the other Fischer goals. And MANY other goals this year, and IMO, in the past. It doesn't matter if you call it "mindset", "focus" or "effort". In this situation with Bob this year, I think it could be said that these things are all entwined and all lead to the same exact thing, his poor play.

But, lets go goal by goal.

The 1st (Focus) goal, when Stepan gets actual control of the puck and is prepared to make a pass it is about a foot away from the goal line. If he would have made the pass sooner while he, Fischer, and most importantly the puck/pass trajectory was all farther away from Bob, I would give him a "pass". But, I want you guys to FOCUS on where exactly the puck and blade of right handed "shooter" Stepan is at when the pass is made and how deep into the crease and close to Bob the puck actually goes. The puck is literally ON the line when the pass is made. Stepan is NO THREAT. There are many different variations of, 'hold the post while laying a stick/arm in the passing lane' that Bob could and should have done there. NHL players/goalies should "know" and be able to "read" that a pass is coming across the crease. He is actually LATE to react to the pass and getting over. It shouldn't matter why his "focus" is off, if it is off.

The 2nd (Mindset) goal, look at where Stepan is at when he makes the pass. And look at Bobrovsky's reaction and slide across. Stepan could look to shoot/throw it on net, but a pass is obviously the most possible and dangerous play in that situation. All 3 of the defenders seem to be of the "mindset" that Stepan is looking pass there, but not Bob. Not only is his reaction quite slow to the pass, but there is a weird "hesitation" during his slide across. It isn't "smooth". I would have liked Jones and Atkinson to "communicate" a bit better, and swap guys, but I cant hate on him too much for going to the "high guy" as we saw what happened on goal 3 when those guys are left alone near the top of the circles. Fischer's 1st goal is worse than goal 2 in regards to Bob.

The 3rd (Effort) goal, could be seen as the "best" or the "worst" of the 3, depending how you "see" it or how you "look" at it. 1 big thing I want you to focus on is, where are Bob's skates when the puck is shot? And actually lookin at it again, as Fischer is a right hander also, Bob looks to be OFF his angle. But, the related and MAIN issue to me is that his heels are still essentially touching the paint as the shot is released. In that situation he should be attacking the shooter/"angle" MUCH MORE than he did there. That, and/or going down into the "butterfly" and closing off holes that obviously existed, as Fischer showed us.

There's a reason "modern" goalies have implemented the concept of the "butterfly" into their game. Because of sticks nowadays, you don't/cant simply react to the shot/release or pass. A huge component of current goalies' "reaction time" is their "instinct" or "reading" plays/shots before they happen. You cant go down too early if you don't go down at all.

Effort, mindset, focus, WHATEVER, he's not stopping pucks that he either could or should stop.

Reactions: CPTN71

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Watched 4 of the 8. 2 in person.

I'm not saying he's got no use. He is what he is. A below average skater and passer who is willing to go to the dirty areas. I call these players plugs. They are more about desire than talent.

So you show up half the game(s). Your the Wennberg of the HFCBJ team. :naughty:

And wait, do you consider Jenner and Wennberg both "plugs" because they do and don't do the completely opposite things??

If you could have ANY player on the CBJ, other than McDavid, who would it be? And why?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So you show up half the game(s). Your the Wennberg of the HFCBJ team. :naughty:

And wait, do you consider Jenner and Wennberg both "plugs" because they do and don't do the completely opposite things??

If you could have ANY player on the CBJ, other than McDavid, who would it be? And why?
MacKinnon.

Do I need to explain???

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I will say this, on the positive side...
1.) I like the acquisitions of Nash and Duclair in the offseason (Nash hasn't shown much yet, but I'm starting to think it's the system).
2.) When this team starts scoring, it's going to come in bunches.
3.) Torts is showing great restraint and patience. (I kinda want the old Torts back to peel the paint off the walls!)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I will say this, on the positive side...
1.) I like the acquisitions of Nash and Duclair in the offseason (Nash hasn't shown much yet, but I'm starting to think it's the system).
2.) When this team starts scoring, it's going to come in bunches.
3.) Torts is showing great restraint and patience. (I kinda want the old Torts back to peel the paint off the walls!)

Duclair has exceeded my expectations so far. One of the few players this year that are ‘all in’.

Serious question: what have you saw out of Nash that makes you say, “I like the acquisition of (Riley) Nash”? ...

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Duclair has exceeded my expectations so far. One of the few players this year that are ‘all in’.

Serious question: what have you saw out of Nash that makes you say, “I like the acquisition of (Riley) Nash”? ...
What I saw from him when he wore a Bruins sweater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad