GDT: "Samkow Memorial Game Day Thread" | Game 8 | Columbus vs. Arizona | 10/23 7PM

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't consider the CBJ a pretty good team. I think they are a border line playoff team who have occasional stretches of red hot play.
When I watch other games and good teams I am struck by the difference in skating and passing abilities they have over the Jackets. I believe the Jackets are less than a sum of their parts (some of which aren't so good on their own). Even last night's one goal was a fluke bouncing off a Coyote skate. Great hustle and effort by PLD but a fluke nonetheless.
The next 8 games include a west coast swing, Dallas & Washington. It wouldn't surprise me to see another 4-4 split. That would leave the Jackets at a point a game pace 20% thru the season. It could be worse. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was much better.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't consider the CBJ a pretty good team. I think they are a border line playoff team who have occasional stretches of red hot play.
When I watch other games and good teams I am struck by the difference in skating and passing abilities they have over the Jackets. I believe the Jackets are less than a sum of their parts (some of which aren't so good on their own). Even last night's one goal was a fluke bouncing off a Coyote skate. Great hustle and effort by PLD but a fluke nonetheless.
The next 8 games include a west coast swing, Dallas & Washington. It wouldn't surprise me to see another 4-4 split. That would leave the Jackets at a point a game pace 20% thru the season. It could be worse. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was much better.

It's their ability to have those red hot stretches that makes me think they're capable of being a consistent "pretty good team." And that's also why I'm hesitant to blame much of this on the Bob/Panarin situations, as current state just feels par for the course to me more or less.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As I indicated in one of the preseason threads, the current state of this team is on Jarmo. Despite the fact that lots of talent was on the move, between trades and UFA signings during this off season, Jarmo made no real effort to add significant talent to this team. Riley Nash and Duclair??? Seriously. There is no identity to this team, either from the FO or the head coach. It seems to be just random pairing of disjointed talent with no coherent goal in mind. Jarmo seems committed to "building from within". That is a joke. We have no game changing talent anywhere in our system. The two young guys who could conceivably improve our team quality, Bjork and Sonny, are getting minimal time on the ice. It is not clear than anyone in management has any clear, coherent goals. I regret having renewed my season tickets. I have no real interest in this team.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
It's their ability to have those red hot stretches that makes me think they're capable of being a consistent "pretty good team." And that's also why I'm hesitant to blame much of this on the Bob/Panarin situations, as current state just feels par for the course to me more or less.
I hope you are right, but the hot streak needs to come soon. The burden of Bob/Panarin limbo is not insignificant- if for no one else but me. Missing the pure joy of watching them play.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well aren't we just awesome right now.. Heh. Well that's 10% of the season down.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Still can't believe the front office and coaching jokers got extended this summer instead of going through this season and seeing where the team stood. Just means firing them gets more expensive
Just means owner doesn't care.

John Davidson is a joke of a team president. His record of one playoff series victory in 12 or 13 years speaks for itself. He's a face. A recognizable name. The Chairman of the HHOF admission committee. He is a TV face in a TV worshipping society. Nothing more.

Someone posted something on this board quite a while ago. It went something like this: "Two men who had fathers who owned hockey teams inherited a team when their dads' died. One said "Cool. I've got a hockey team. Let's make it a winner". The other said. "Oh shit! I have a hockey team." One of the kids was from the Chicago. The other from Columbus. Guess which one is which:laugh:

I know Nationwide has a piece of the team along with McConnell. Since it's apparently all about "civic responsibility" and "carrying on dad's legacy", then we get what we get. Too bad there's (evidently) no one in Columbus who is willing to buy the team off of owners who (imo) own this team out of a sense of obligation rather than a spirit of passion.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Elite defence, elite.

Oct_23_2018_19_57_54.gif

Edit: no issues with Seth here jtbc.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This board has a lovely history of making bold claims about the level of the team based on small samples. After spring 2015 they were supposed to be amazing (I dissented) and since then we've tended to the opposite conclusion too readily (Ever notice that we only have conversations about "THE TRUE BLUE JACKETS" after a losing streak?)

This is a league with extreme parity, in the most random of the major sports. A 6-2 record doesn't tell you much that is distinct from what a 2-6 record does. Not without drilling down further.

The simple tools analysts use at this point are PDO and the percentages - like shot share and I think more importantly high danger shot share, scoring chance share, etc... By those metrics the Jackets are in the classic underperforming phase and should rebound. The PDO is 4th worst in the league - thanks to lower than expected shooting % and save %. The shot share has rarely ever been a problem and it isn't now. What I wonder about is the chances - the Jackets sometimes tend too strongly to safe is death and give up the worst chances on the counter attack. The last couple games that's not what is happening. They're just not scoring in golden opportunities, and Bob isn't stopping the puck.

This is what is preventing the club from winning a higher percentage of their games:

1) Snakebit shooters - short term fluctuation. (this is commonly paired with "guys gripping sticks" and bad passing - all short term fluctuation).

2) Bob stinks - short term fluctuation? (not sure.)

3) The Powerplay is awful. Dear god, please help!

The good news is that none of these issues are innate to the player personnel. This is all fixable - (1) absolutely will fix itself, (2) probably will, and (3) I have given up fire someone please.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
1) Snakebit shooters - short term fluctuation. (this is commonly paired with "guys gripping sticks" and bad passing - all short term fluctuation).

I don't now why you left PK from that?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't now why you left PK from that?

I just haven't watched it closely enough to know if it's structurally a problem or just bad bounces or bad goaltending. And you can't tell either way from the stats. It really could just be subsumed with goaltending.

Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Major, that was a very interesting analysis. Give me something to think about.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
This board has a lovely history of making bold claims about the level of the team based on small samples. After spring 2015 they were supposed to be amazing (I dissented) and since then we've tended to the opposite conclusion too readily (Ever notice that we only have conversations about "THE TRUE BLUE JACKETS" after a losing streak?)

This is a league with extreme parity, in the most random of the major sports. A 6-2 record doesn't tell you much that is distinct from what a 2-6 record does. Not without drilling down further.

The simple tools analysts use at this point are PDO and the percentages - like shot share and I think more importantly high danger shot share, scoring chance share, etc... By those metrics the Jackets are in the classic underperforming phase and should rebound. The PDO is 4th worst in the league - thanks to lower than expected shooting % and save %. The shot share has rarely ever been a problem and it isn't now. What I wonder about is the chances - the Jackets sometimes tend too strongly to safe is death and give up the worst chances on the counter attack. The last couple games that's not what is happening. They're just not scoring in golden opportunities, and Bob isn't stopping the puck.

This is what is preventing the club from winning a higher percentage of their games:

The good news is that none of these issues are innate to the player personnel. This is all fixable - (1) absolutely will fix itself, (2) probably will, and (3) I have given up fire someone please.
I agree with 1 & 2. But #3 has been garbage for almost 2 seasons now (come December it will be two seasons) and there seems to be no recognition of this fact from within the club. I admit to getting restless, but the staff just looks lifeless. Or worse, clueless.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
So in the .15 second between the release and it going in the net you wanted more effort, you say? He just doesn't want it enough, you think?
He was square to the shooter with a clear lane, moved maybe 2 inches, and wiffed by 6 inches on making an easy glove save. I don't know what he wants, but going from his performance and comments it's hard not to question his mindset, therefore effort. Bottom line is that that is a save you would expect a guy making what he makes to make.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree with 1 & 2. But #3 has been garbage for almost 2 seasons now (come December it will be two seasons) and there seems to be no recognition of this fact from within the club. I admit to getting restless, but the staff just looks lifeless. Or worse, clueless.

Sounds like you also agree with me on #3. :laugh:

I'd say more clueless than lifeless. They've been re-shuffling the personnel and the positions constantly since about halfway through last year, in a way that seems nonsensical to me - the latest being putting Duclair, a weak LH shooter, on the left halfwall on the first unit, where we desperately need to put our RH snipers. We're wasting our shooting talent.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He was square to the shooter with a clear lane, moved maybe 2 inches, and wiffed by 6 inches on making an easy glove save. I don't know what he wants, but going from his performance and comments it's hard not to question his mindset, therefore effort. Bottom line is that that is a save you would expect a guy making what he makes to make.

Watch it again and tell me that is an easy save. It's not even close to an easy save or a save you expect a goalie to make. The guy was wide open a few feet from the hashmarks and ripped one. It looks like maybe Fischer tried to elevate it more than he did and that made it so Bob couldn't read the release. The only way for a goalie to stop a puck in that situation is to read the release, as the actual time from the release to the puck passing the goalie is about how long it takes for a human to react to any stimulus, about .15 seconds.

I have no doubt that Bob's mindset is off and that's really contributing to his poor play. But effort to make a save? That's your explanation? I would never question that, and not for most any goalie. Think about what the position entails, effort is not the hard part of their job. They always try to stop pucks. If there is a problem with mindset, it leads to poor focus.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Sounds like you also agree with me on #3. :laugh:

I'd say more clueless than lifeless. They've been re-shuffling the personnel and the positions constantly since about halfway through last year, in a way that seems nonsensical to me - the latest being putting Duclair, a weak LH shooter, on the left halfwall on the first unit, where we desperately need to put our RH snipers. We're wasting our shooting talent.
Yeah I do. I just should have responded differently. Sorry.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Watch it again and tell me that is an easy save. It's not even close to an easy save or a save you expect a goalie to make. The guy was wide open a few feet from the hashmarks and ripped one. It looks like maybe Fischer tried to elevate it more than he did and that made it so Bob couldn't read the release. The only way for a goalie to stop a puck in that situation is to read the release, as the actual time from the release to the puck passing the goalie is about how long it takes for a human to react to any stimulus, about .15 seconds.

I have no doubt that Bob's mindset is off and that's really contributing to his poor play. But effort to make a save? That's your explanation? I would never question that, and not for most any goalie. Think about what the position entails, effort is not the hard part of their job. They always try to stop pucks. If there is a problem with mindset, it leads to poor focus.
You are surmising that the shooter fooled Bob. Maybe so. I am normally one to defend Bob as I feel like he has earned it. That save attempt didn't look very Bob like. I'm surmising that he made a very poor attempt.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think we need to accept that this is middling team. Not tanking bad, but nowhere close to Stanley Cup great.

In the NHL, even a "middling" team can in the Cup.

The CBJ are NOT a "middling" team.

Without Jones and/or Panarin you could say that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->