Proposal: Sami Vatanen to STL

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Vatanen for St Louis 2020 1st Round Pick. Although St Louis is stocked on RHD (which Vatanen is) the addition of Vatanen would be helpful towards them trying to go all in for the Cup this year. Vatanen can also play and has played the Left side this hear for the Devils too. Maybe someone on the Blues can play their offhand side as well. Deviled can retain money also if the Blues LTIR Bouwmeester to possibly look for more cap space for any other deals.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Vatanen is a good player and should draw plenty of interest if available... However I don’t think the Blues would be one of the teams interested.

Vatanen “can” play the left side doesn’t mean a team would pay a 1st for him to play his weak side.

If the Blues trade their 1st for a D man it’s almost certainly a full-time LHD.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Even if Bo never plays again I dont think we make a move for a LD. We are still stacked on D and are already trying to play Faulk on his off side, I do not want to have 2 playing on their offhand. If we make a move it will be a player to fill Vladdy's role if the team feels he will not be able to make it back in time for the playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No. We don’t need a defenseman, especially for a 1st round pick.

Pietrangelo, Parayko, Faulk, Dunn, Gunnarsson and Bortuzzo is fine and we have a young prospect (Niko Mikkola) who looks promising that we can call up too.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
No. We don’t need a defenseman, especially for a 1st round pick.

Pietrangelo, Parayko, Faulk, Dunn, Gunnarsson and Bortuzzo is fine and we have a young prospect (Niko Mikkola) who looks promising that we can call up too.
Vats is good but the one team that I think has good chemistry going is St Louis I'd leave the team alone

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Nice try.

I don't expect the Blues to trade our first at all, but if we do it will be for a top six forward. Not a rental defenseman we don't even need.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Good player but not a fit for the blues considering the handedness.
I see a move like they did last season at the deadline-del Zotto like. Low draft choice got a depth dman.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Greene? He's a lefty. He'd have to waive but might do it for a shot at a cup.
Not sure what the expectations would be as a return, but with retention I could see him being a target much more so than Vatanen.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Not sure what the expectations would be as a return, but with retention I could see him being a target much more so than Vatanen.

Full retention, obviously not a 1st but other than that not sure if he could return a 2nd or not. more likely to me is a 3rd. I think he'd be a good fit as a 3rd pairing plug that can play more important minutes in a pinch.

Reactions: Smitty426

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Full retention, obviously not a 1st but other than that not sure if he could return a 2nd or not. more likely to me is a 3rd. I think he'd be a good fit as a 3rd pairing plug that can play more important minutes in a pinch.
Full retention being 50%

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
For some reason I thought he was still more of a minutes muncher even at 37. We will already have guys like Dunn, Mikkola, Gunnarsson and even Bortuzzo who generally get sheltered, so I'm not sure this is a fit even at 50% retention. Maybe not as experienced, but it seems like there will be similar quality options available at that price that carry less than $2.5M as a cap hit. I don't hate the idea, but my guess is that there is a fit for him elsewhere and a better fit for the Blues.

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
For some reason I thought he was still more of a minutes muncher even at 37. We will already have guys like Dunn, Mikkola, Gunnarsson and even Bortuzzo who generally get sheltered, so I'm not sure this is a fit even at 50% retention. Maybe not as experienced, but it seems like there will be similar quality options available at that price that carry less than $2.5M as a cap hit. I don't hate the idea, but my guess is that there is a fit for him elsewhere and a better fit for the Blues.

He's capable of playing more than twenty minutes a night, but for a playoff team I would consider him to be a depth guy. 3rd pairing is probably fine, and like I said, he can play important minutes in a pinch and be solid, but he's not a guy that I would plug into a top-4 for a deep playoff run.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Greene is going to be a really good pick up for some team if he agrees to waive his NTC.

He won't cost the acquiring team that much, will fit into the team seamlessly, would boost the PK and would be a hell of a bottom pairing guy that could certainly fill in higher in the lineup if/when injuries hit. He's still playing 20 minutes a night in NJ and going up against other team's top players.

He'll also bring a lot of leadership to a room, especially considering he's worn the 'C' in NJ for the past few years. Wouldn't be bad for a team like the Blues to have a vet like that hungry for the Cup. Greene might be willing to waive his NTC to a team like St. Louis that has a better shot than most playoff teams of winning it all. Would certainly love to see him win a Cup somewhere since it's not happening in NJ.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Greene is going to be a really good pick up for some team if he agrees to waive his NTC.

He won't cost the acquiring team that much, will fit into the team seamlessly, would boost the PK and would be a hell of a bottom pairing guy that could certainly fill in higher in the lineup if/when injuries hit. He's still playing 20 minutes a night in NJ and going up against other team's top players.

He'll also bring a lot of leadership to a room, especially considering he's worn the 'C' in NJ for the past few years. Wouldn't be bad for a team like the Blues to have a vet like that hungry for the Cup. Greene might be willing to waive his NTC to a team like St. Louis that has a better shot than most playoff teams of winning it all. Would certainly love to see him win a Cup somewhere since it's not happening in NJ.

I don't think it is too outlandish to think Armstrong would make a move for Greene. I definitely see him targeting a veteran depth option on defense to make sure we are prepared for another injury as Gunnar always seems to suffer an injury. I think ideally if we had more time before the TDL a larger assessment of what we have in Mikkola would be given, and i'm still not so sure we don't just ride Mikkola as he fits more of the prototypical Blues dman - Big, average to above average skater, long reach and good breakout passer- but it is likely the team would feel more comfortable with a more proven NHLer going into playoffs.

Assuming Greene would waive and NJD would retain salary I could see us parting with a 3rd/4th to ensure we have options going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->