Value of: Sami Vatanen before the deadline

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
RHD. Solid top4 guy who can play both PP and PK. Playing at a 40-point pace. Career playoff PPG is over 0,5.

How likely is he to be traded before the deadline?

What teams would be interested?

What would the cost be?

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
2020 1st + conditional 2021 3rd that becomes a 2nd if team wins 1 round or resigns him. That being said would rather the devils just resign him

Reactions: MakoSlade

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Would be nice fit to play next Heiskanen in Dallas, not sure what would it take. 1st++

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
In this day and age, I don't think anybody but a true contender is giving up a 1st without a condition.
Condition being not #1 overall for example.

Yeah, it would be top 3 protected. You don't need any more protection than that since top teams essentially have no chance of picking 4-10. If it's a team on the playoff bubble they might want it top 5 or top 10 protected.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Zajac doesn't really move the needle IMO

1st + Helleson + Jost + more, we're talking Vatanen+Coleman

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
2020 1st + conditional 2021 3rd that becomes a 2nd if team wins 1 round or resigns him. That being said would rather the devils just resign him

If Devils pass up a 1st for Vatanen they are nuts. The excuse people are using here as to why the Rangers have passed the devils on the rebuild highway in half the time is they had tradeable assets. Thats largely true. But they were decisive with those assets, knew who they were and cashed them in. Devils must do the same.

Not for nothing, but I don't think its a total fantasy that the Devils could trade Vatanen at the deadline and then re-sign him July 1 if they really love him that much. Doing that with a guy like Hall is not realistic but I could see it here.

Any team he gets traded to is LIKELY to be in a tight cap, as they are contending. Vatanen has injury history, concussions etc. He may be more appealing to teams as a 60 day guy than as a 6 year guy.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Coleman is super valued by the Devils, don't think we'd move him unless it was a hockey trade for a LHD

As he should be, I think he's great. I just don't have a lot of interest in moving 3+ pieces for Vatanen and an end-stage Zajac, even at half price

Would Graves be a LHD that piques NJ's interest? 6G, 9A halfway through the year and leading the league in the ever-revered +/-

Reactions: MakoSlade

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
If Devils pass up a 1st for Vatanen they are nuts. The excuse people are using here as to why the Rangers have passed the devils on the rebuild highway in half the time is they had tradeable assets. Thats largely true. But they were decisive with those assets, knew who they were and cashed them in. Devils must do the same.

Not for nothing, but I don't think its a total fantasy that the Devils could trade Vatanen at the deadline and then re-sign him July 1 if they really love him that much. Doing that with a guy like Hall is not realistic but I could see it here.

Any team he gets traded to is LIKELY to be in a tight cap, as they are contending. Vatanen has injury history, concussions etc. He may be more appealing to teams as a 60 day guy than as a 6 year guy.
The Rangers passed the devils so fast because they are in NYC and people want to play there. Born becsuse they had better asset management. Panarin- FA, Trouba- demanded to play in NYC or Detroit, Fox- demanded to play in NYC

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Why? The asking price should be a first. I mean that’s what they basically paid for when they first got em from Anaheim. Henrique imo is equal to a first and even more when the trade happen. New Jersey shouldn’t sell him for anything cheaper than a first ++

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
2 2nds 2020 from Detroit. Likely to be 32 + wherever Caps wind up.

It's not a first, but I'm not trading a top 4 pick for Sami Vatanen.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
2 2nds 2020 from Detroit. Likely to be 32 + wherever Caps wind up.

It's not a first, but I'm not trading a top 4 pick for Sami Vatanen.

Why would Detroit even be interested in Vatanen?? They are in rebuild mode as much as Kings, Ducks, Sharks.

I mean, I see no reasoning why Vatanen brings value to a rebuilding team. And no offense especially Wings. Just because he’s a RHD?? You want a RHD I got Manson I can sell you from the Ducks

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why would Detroit even be interested in Vatanen?? They are in rebuild mode as much as Kings, Ducks, Sharks.

I mean, I see no reasoning why Vatanen brings value to a rebuilding team. And no offense especially Wings. Just because he’s a RHD?? You want a RHD I got Manson I can sell you from the Ducks

Wings need a legitimate top 4 D They have, what, 3 D even under contract for next year. If I'm Detroit, I ask the price on literally any D with a pulse in the league.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Wings need a legitimate top 4 D They have, what, 3 D even under contract for next year. If I'm Detroit, I ask the price on literally any D with a pulse in the league.

Why??? When you can draft one for your rebuild with an extra first. And snag some in free agency. Vatanen does nothing for a rebuilding team who isn’t going to compete for a few years. All you’re doing is wasting assets for something you aren’t going to use to it’s full potential.

If you want a top 4 D I have Manson available for your first on the Ducks. Whom is a lot better than Vatanen. And also RHD

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
As he should be, I think he's great. I just don't have a lot of interest in moving 3+ pieces for Vatanen and an end-stage Zajac, even at half price

Would Graves be a LHD that piques NJ's interest? 6G, 9A halfway through the year and leading the league in the ever-revered +/-

I know you were just responding to another poster, but Jost and Helleson are not what the Devils need anyway. They have more centers than they know what to do with, and they have a bunch of mid-tier defensive prospects in the system that are 3-4 years away. Why would Colorado want to move Graves if he's playing that well?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Why??? When you can draft one for your rebuild with an extra first. And snag some in free agency. Vatanen does nothing for a rebuilding team who isn’t going to compete for a few years. All you’re doing is wasting assets for something you aren’t going to use to it’s full potential.

If you want a top 4 D I have Manson available for your first on the Ducks. Whom is a lot better than Vatanen. And also RHD
You're right, Wings shouldn't spend assets now, especially for RHD, we have Hronek, Seider (20-21) who'll get 9gms this season, Bowey, Lindstrom, McIlrath. We've traded 3 RHD prospects this year already, Kaski, Saarijarvi, Regula...wish we kept Regula, Perlini has been a bust thus far. We're solid at W too. Just need 2C/1D/1G badly, possibly 2C but Hronek and/or Seider should fill that in time. I'd love Manson if he were LD.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You're right, Wings shouldn't spend assets now, especially for RHD, we have Hronek, Seider (20-21) who'll get 9gms this season, Bowey, Lindstrom, McIlrath. We've traded 3 RHD prospects this year already, Kaski, Saarijarvi, Regula...wish we kept Regula, Perlini has been a bust thus far. We're solid at W too. Just need 2C/1D/1G badly, possibly 2C but Hronek and/or Seider should fill that in time. I'd love Manson if he were LD.

I have no problem shipping off Lindholm for your first un protected. This team needs a hell of a lot more scoring than it does defense. I’ll take Lafrenier and Byfield/Stutzle with the combo of the picks this draft.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I have no problem shipping off Lindholm for your first un protected. This team needs a hell of a lot more scoring than it does defense. I’ll take Lafrenier and Byfield/Stutzle with the combo of the picks this draft.
I doubt SY would do that. I'm not sure the value is there (I'm not a scout & don't watch him), but tempting b/c I know he's good. UFA in 2.4 seasons, good cap hit, about to be 26 next week & iirc good defensively, chips in offense. Is he a true #1, or a elite/very good #2 relative to all 30 other teams? Would he be a #1 or #2 on a SC contender? #1 on PO team/PO bubble team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad