Confirmed with Link: Sami Vatanen (@50%) for Kuokkanen, Claeson and a Conditional 3rd/4th

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It was always going to be a conditional 4th round pick that could be upgraded to a 3rd. I'm not sure what the conditions were for the pick to be upgraded, but I imagine they were pretty similar if not identical to what the insiders are tweeting now.

Reactions: Lempo

MisterEd89

Jan 12, 2018
Section 324
It was 70% of playoffs in the initial trade as well. I believe the new details here is how the play-in games affect the conditional pick we give up.

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It was always going to be a conditional 4th round pick that could be upgraded to a 3rd. I'm not sure what the conditions were for the pick to be upgraded, but I imagine they were pretty similar if not identical to what the insiders are tweeting now.

By CapFriendly (good place to find the trade terms and trade history of a player):

Sami Vatanen Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Original:

2020 conditional 4th round pick* (CAR)
*Conditions: New Jersey receives a 2020 4th round pick if Vatanen plays in 5 regular-season games this season. The pick upgrades to a 2020 3rd round pick if Vatanen plays in 12 regular-season games this season, or if Carolina makes the playoffs and he plays in 70% of their playoff games.

Updated:

Updated conditions: Due to the shortened season, the NHL revised the conditions of the trade. Devils receive a 2020 4th if Carolina beats NYR and Vatanen plays in less than 70% of Carolina's playoff games, but plays in 2 games against NYR; however the pick upgrades to a 2020 3rd if Carolina beats NYR and Vatanen plays at least 70% of Carolina's playoff games. If Carolina loses to NYR and Vatanen plays in at least 70% of Carolina's playoff games then Devils receive either a 2020 or 2021 4th round pick. No pick is transferred if Vatanen plays in less than 70% of Carolina's playoff games and does not play in at least 2 games against NYR.

--

So the problem arose because he was traded while injured and there were conditions on his returning to fit-to-play status during the remainder of the regular season, which then ended up being prematurely cancelled.

Reactions: Tryamw and Canes

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The Vatanen trade happened on Feb 24. We were supposed to have 21 games left at that time, but 14 ended up cancelled.

12 of 21 would be 57.1 percent.
5 of 21 would be 23.8 percent.

But comparing that to this new situation would be foolish, as we know now that he should be fit to play the games and the original return woes aren't there. Obviously we don't just want to gift (and shouldn't) the pick to NJ because the coronavirus messed up the terms of the trade.

Don't ask me about this bit:

"If Carolina loses to NYR and Vatanen plays in at least 70% of Carolina's playoff games"

It looks like play-ins games would count as play-offs games.

It's surest bet that we beat NYR. For the League to save their face.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
What is the deal with Kuokkanen I wonder why Rangers did not try to go after the Finnish LW in their 2 trades with Carolina. Does he play soft?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
What is the deal with Kuokkanen I wonder why Rangers did not try to go after the Finnish LW in their 2 trades with Carolina. Does he play soft?
He is a wait and see player which isn’t what the Canes and Rangers run. We are get it up and ice and put pressure on the D type of teams. He isn’t physical.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So the Canes are losing a 4th for sure.

does it turn to the third? That is the question.
"No pick is transferred if Vatanen plays in less than 70% of Carolina's playoff games and does not play in at least 2 games against NYR."

Unless it was a statement on Vatanen being a juggernaut; in that case I retract.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"Retract". Isn't it "retrack" when you go back your own foot steps?

Or retrace? Others can track you by your foot steps, but you can't re-track them? Or de-track?

f***ing nonsense.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
"No pick is transferred if Vatanen plays in less than 70% of Carolina's playoff games and does not play in at least 2 games against NYR."

Unless it was a statement on Vatanen being a juggernaut; in that case I retract.
The likelihood of him not playing in 2 games against NYR is basically 0.

Reactions: Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Yeah we basically got screwed in this... 5 games if playoffs are worth 2 is 3 not 2...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad