Confirmed with Link: Sami Vatanen (@50%) for Kuokkanen, Claeson and a Conditional 3rd/4th

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So basically everyone pronounces TeraVAInen wrong?
Actully not so much, the sounds are right. They just stress it in a way that would be peculiar in Finnish.

Normally English speakers pronounce the A the wrong way (the sound corresponding to the Finnish letter Ä), but in this case it goes right as he is Teräväinen.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The only question I have, is the first syllable Vah or VAT. It seems from Lempos explanation that it should be Vah-Tah-Nen but I could be wrong.
This sounds about right to me.

Eliteprospect has a killer feature where they got the speaker image button after the name to have a native pronounce the name, but sadly they require (free) registration nowadays for to use it.

Sami Vatanen at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: zman77 and Daeavorn

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Anyone know if he is practicing yet? I still haven't seen any guesses how far out he is.
giphy.gif

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Anyone know if he is practicing yet? I still haven't seen any guesses how far out he is.
"I should be about ready to go, I got nothing bigger", he told to Finnpress four days ago.

Kind of makes sense that NJ didn't rush to activate their known tradebait.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
If only Chuck @ the Letter K was still around we could stop the madness.

That brings back memories of Nodl gate when John was told Nodl's name wasn't pronounced "NO-dull" but was instead "Noo-dull" only to realize that he'd been had and it was, in fact, "NO-dull." I wonder if the Canes PR pronunciation guide came out of that...

Reactions: cptjeff and vorbis

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
That brings back memories of Nodl gate when John was told Nodl's name wasn't pronounced "NO-dull" but was instead "Noo-dull" only to realize that he'd been had and it was, in fact, "NO-dull." I wonder if the Canes PR pronunciation guide came out of that...
Nodlgate was a classic. Let's not forget the ever-changing Sekera pronunciation kerfuffle. Forslund called the Stars-Bruins game last night and I chuckled every time he mentioned the name. But what about the Samson-off vs. SAM-so-noff squabble? Good times.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Nodlgate was a classic. Let's not forget the ever-changing Sekera pronunciation kerfuffle. Forslund called the Stars-Bruins game last night and I chuckled every time he mentioned the name. But what about the Samson-off vs. SAM-so-noff squabble? Good times.

It's sam-SON-ov, not SAM-son-ov.

No wonder he hasn't got any friends.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
It's not footage, but you've got these - the first and third iterations are the player saying their name and the one in the middle is one of the Canes PR guys saying it.

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/pronunciation/teravainen.mp3

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/pronunciation/samivatanen.mp3

Full listing is here - Hurricanes Audio Pronunciation Guide

Teuvo saying his name is a prime example of a Finnish person Englifying their names for the convenience of others. Surely there must be a more brutal (Finnish) recording of his name?

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
i

Vatanen looks like hes never stressed about a thing. He looks like he'd help you buy new strings at guitar center but he wouldn't be in any kind of hurry about it
"I don't care if you play Stairway. Go ahead."

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->