Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
OK gotcha. I imagine that at least the $60k bonus in year 3 is of the regular variety.
I don't know, the GP Bonuses tend to drop down towards the 3rd year, and he's not getting the max $925k even then as his Total Salary. Would make sense as GP for me.

Hurricanes have nice examples of the usage of GPs (or so I'd guess).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't know, the GP Bonuses tend to drop down towards the 3rd year, and he's not getting the max $925k even then as his Total Salary. Would make sense as GP for me.

Hurricanes have nice examples of the usage of GPs (or so I'd guess).

I am only talking about general terms. By the third year of an ELC. The hope would be that he is in the NHL and the $60k could be achieving one of the milestone goalposts. We may never know. In fact we probably won't. It's such a small amount it's pretty irrelevant in cap terms regardless.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I am only talking about general terms. By the third year of an ELC. The hope would be that he is in the NHL and the $60k could be achieving one of the milestone goalposts. We may never know. In fact we probably won't. It's such a small amount it's pretty irrelevant in cap terms regardless.
Well, the sum would buy my house. :laugh:

GP bonus is a good deal for a player expecting to play more than 10 games up but not the full season. The benefit of getting the bonus diminishes to zero if he plays the full season up with the reduced Base Salary.

It's hard not to think it may be some kind of insurance against his opting for the European Assignment clause in year 3; a prolonged cup of coffee to finish his ELC would give him a nice raise to his AHL pay in case he doesn't fit to the Jets roster by then.

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
How has Sami Niku looked in training camp. I have high hopes for him, and I would love to see him crack the Jets opening night roster.
Saw him at the Saturday practice at Fanfest. Laine blew by him one on one (mostly due to poor positioning). I was happy and sad all at the same time.

I didn't notice him win any puck battles against the big boys, but practice is what it is, practice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Saw him at the Saturday practice at Fanfest. Laine blew by him one on one (mostly due to poor positioning). I was happy and sad all at the same time.

I didn't notice him win any puck battles against the big boys, but practice is what it is, practice.
I think Niku is sort of in the same situation as Morrissey was a few seasons ago. He has terrific skills, but he needs to learn how to play more aggressively and effectively against NHL-level forwards. Morrissey tended to hold back and play a bit conservatively. When he became more aggressive at challenging forwards and taking away their time and space, he became a good NHLer. Niku needs to make that transition.

Reactions: Huffer

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Niku is sort of in the same situation as Morrissey was a few seasons ago. He has terrific skills, but he needs to learn how to play more aggressively and effectively against NHL-level forwards. Morrissey tended to hold back and play a bit conservatively. When he became more aggressive at challenging forwards and taking away their time and space, he became a good NHLer. Niku needs to make that transition.

I don't know if that is really Nikus style from what I've seen. He looks like more of a pure offensive dmen. Get him the puck and watch the magic happen. Ask him to play shutdown hockey and you will be disappointed.

Reactions: KB1971

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know if that is really Nikus style from what I've seen. He looks like more of a pure offensive dmen. Get him the puck and watch the magic happen. Ask him to play shutdown hockey and you will be disappointed.

I don't want any pure offensive Dman. They have to play some defence. I would even say the same about forwards.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't want any pure offensive Dman. They have to play some defence. I would even say the same about forwards.

Some guys are just built that way. Doesn't mean they are bad at defence per say just that they aren't going to be Josh Morrissey who is already among the best young defencemen in his own zone. Niku's strengths are in his skating, puck retrieval, shooting and passing. If he became a beastly two-way dmen I'd be happy but I'm not going to expect that. I think it's more likely he becomes a Karlsson-lite if he hits his ceiling.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's not so much playing shutdown hockey, it's just closing gaps and making forwards work for their zone entries, etc. I think that can be taught, especially with someone that skates as well as Niku does.

I agree but I'm not going to expect it. Sometimes when you force guys to play a style of game that they aren't tailored for you take way the things that made them good. PRD's like Niku are hard to find and I think that is why you give them a rock solid partner. So they can freewheel without having to worry about covering their end of things as much.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some guys are just built that way. Doesn't mean they are bad at defence per say just that they aren't going to be Josh Morrissey who is already among the best young defencemen in his own zone. Niku's strengths are in his skating, puck retrieval, shooting and passing. If he became a beastly two-way dmen I'd be happy but I'm not going to expect that. I think it's more likely he becomes a Karlsson-lite if he hits his ceiling.

The way you worded it sounded like all offense, no defense. I don't need a high scoring shut-down D. :laugh: And not every player needs to be a 2 way beast. But there is a minimum level of D competence required.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The way you worded it sounded like all offense, no defense. I don't need a high scoring shut-down D. :laugh: And not every player needs to be a 2 way beast. But there is a minimum level of D competence required.

Yeah true. But that's why you put those style of players with guys like Vlasic and Morrissey. So they can do their thing without having to worry about it. PRDs are natural risk takers.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If they're trash and he isn't he would be higher than them on the depth chart, wouldn't you think?
Well, they're not gonna send Kulikov down to juniors, yeah? It's easier to play someone who already has the experience. I dislike Poolman, too. Niku should pan out better than either of those players and i think he could start that journey this season already, but as i said, it's easier to just play those guys.

I didn't say i don't understand why things go the way they do. I don't have to like it, though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah true. But that's why you put those style of players with guys like Vlasic and Morrissey. So they can do their thing without having to worry about it. PRDs are natural risk takers.

Morrissey could be very good offensively if not asked to play D first. But yes, balanced pairs should work. That's why I don't like Myers with Buff. Who is going to defend?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Morrissey could be very good offensively if not asked to play D first. But yes, balanced pairs should work. That's why I don't like Myers with Buff. Who is going to defend?

Yeah I'm not a fan of it either. Niku probably wouldn't work out well there either. I thought Morrow worked well enough with Buff. Niku needs a Morrissey type on the right side. Poolman is probably his best bet.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He doesn't need to shut down, but he needs to be competent in his own zone.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He doesn't need to shut down, but he needs to be competent in his own zone.

Competent sure but hopefully he won't be spending much time in his own zone. His puck retrieval is already very good and he has no issues getting the puck up ice. If we have a Karlsson-lite on our hands I'll be very happy.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
At the moment we look more loaded with offensive D than guys who are really great in their own end. We need more guys who are great in their own end as we already have Buff, Mo, Trouba, Myers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->