Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Two-way contract means *only* that the player has one salary for when he is in NHL and other salary for when he is in AHL. The same player being or not being waivers-exempt isn't dependent of his contract but on the waivers eligibility rules in the CBA.

Waivers-exemption is mostly dependent on the amount of years the player has been playing under an ELC/in the NHL (but there is also a hard cap on the games played in NHL). In Heinola's case, they are not thinking his usage on the terms that he will (as a player who signed at 18) lose his waivers eligibility after 160 games. He is *not* going to be sent down in season 2021-22.

Really, when you consider he still may return to Finland, or play some AHL in the next 2 years, he could conceivably take even longer than that to lose his waiver eligibility. Which, as you say, is probably a moot point because at the rate he's going, he's probably on our 2nd pair by the time he hits 160gp.

Reactions: Lempo

Zambaloni

Jun 25, 2019
Winnipeg
Just as a side, my original comment was a reference to Niku being sent to Moose instead of Bitetto because of waiver exemption while waiting for Heinola to be sent back to Finland.

Reactions: Lempo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm getting a little worried about Sami. He was held out of the Moose practice today after being a late scratch the last game because a nagging groin injury. This is a type of injury that can linger on and really impact a players season.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I'm getting a little worried about Sami. He was held out of the Moose practice today after being a late scratch the last game because a nagging groin injury. This is a type of injury that can linger on and really impact a players season.
Maybe its a trade for some defensive help

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Difficult injuries to heal and to train, for sure, especially once the season is underway. Hopefully he can put in the time to recover properly, since it's notoriously easy to aggravate a groin injury. And the timing is awful. Seems like this D can't buy a break.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Really crappy for Niku and the team to be dealing with this sort of injury. He's young and hopefully that helps him heal quicker. I was really liking his play while he was up. I think being 100% he could really help our D.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Maybe its a trade for some defensive help
I can definitely see Niku being dangled in trade talks. As I mentioned in another thread, I just don’t see PMo having Morrissey, Heinola, Pionk and Niku in the lineup at the same time.

When it comes to smaller d, they will ride with Morrissey and Heinola down the road, but will add size and physicality to help them out, such as Samberg eventually.

In the future, I can see a d corps of:

Morrissey-Hamonic (or Byfuglien)
Heinola-Ristolainen
Samberg-Pionk

Each pairing is balanced with size/skill, physicality/puck movers, and offence/defence. For that reason, you can play these pairings in all situations for the most part and not worry too much about matchups.

To get Risto, you give up a Niku and picks.

Hamonic is a FA signing or Buff comes back.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Totally fair. But is that small sample in the NHL the real him, or are his larger sample AHL numbers more indicative?

The argument can work both ways. His defensive play in the AHL has been good but the quality of competition is also much less. There have been lots of AHL award winners who did well in that league but could never make the jump to the NHL. At this point, I'd have to put a bit more weight on the games in the NHL - he might be better than his stats have shown but he's not going to hit his AHL stats in the NHL.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
The argument can work both ways. His defensive play in the AHL has been good but the quality of competition is also much less. There have been lots of AHL award winners who did well in that league but could never make the jump to the NHL. At this point, I'd have to put a bit more weight on the games in the NHL - he might be better than his stats have shown but he's not going to hit his AHL stats in the NHL.
No, he’s never going to be Nick Lidstrom defensively and I don’t think that’s the expectation. But he will be far from the disaster in his own end that a lot of people assume him to be. It does seem like good offensive defencemen, especially Euros, get a reputation for being soft in their own zone when it’s very clear that ability to move the puck out of their own end is one of the more effective defensive skills.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No, he’s never going to be Nick Lidstrom defensively and I don’t think that’s the expectation. But he will be far from the disaster in his own end that a lot of people assume him to be. It does seem like good offensive defencemen, especially Euros, get a reputation for being soft in their own zone when it’s very clear that ability to move the puck out of their own end is one of the more effective defensive skills.

I don't think he's soft. I think that kind of argument never is useful - if a player plays like that in his own zone, the other stats will bear that out.

I think the game moves a bit quickly for him right now, and he puts himself in some risky situations to create.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think he's soft. I think that kind of argument never is useful - if a player plays like that in his own zone, the other stats will bear that out.

I think the game moves a bit quickly for him right now, and he puts himself in some risky situations to create.
I’m not suggesting that you personally feel that way. I’m saying that there are a number of people who do, especially those suggesting he be traded for “defensive” help.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I can definitely see Niku being dangled in trade talks. As I mentioned in another thread, I just don’t see PMo having Morrissey, Heinola, Pionk and Niku in the lineup at the same time.

When it comes to smaller d, they will ride with Morrissey and Heinola down the road, but will add size and physicality to help them out, such as Samberg eventually.

In the future, I can see a d corps of:

Morrissey-Hamonic (or Byfuglien)
Heinola-Ristolainen
Samberg-Pionk

Each pairing is balanced with size/skill, physicality/puck movers, and offence/defence. For that reason, you can play these pairings in all situations for the most part and not worry too much about matchups.

To get Risto, you give up a Niku and picks.

Hamonic is a FA signing or Buff comes back.

Bitetto and Kulikov are only 1 inch taller and maybe 10-15 lbs heavier then Niku, Pionk, Morissey and Mo has no problem playing them. I think the smallness of those guys is exaggerated. I get your point tho, and it has more to do with physicality I think, and that goes back to the age old physicality vs IQ/skill debate.

Reactions: thegr8one66

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
3+3 now in 6 games. With these numbers you'd expect him to be called up pretty damn quickly. Can anyone who's watched the games say if he's been blowing it defensively or how has he looked out there?

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
3+3 now in 6 games. With these numbers you'd expect him to be called up pretty damn quickly. Can anyone who's watched the games say if he's been blowing it defensively or how has he looked out there?
Considering how well he's played in the AHL in the past I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that his performance (or lack thereof) has absolutely no relevance to him getting called up or the minutes he gets while in the NHL. I don't think the Jets and/or Maurice have any plans on trusting him with actual NHL time outside of a massive injury crisis, seeing as they'd rather play Bitetto, Sbisa and Dahlström ahead of him. I mean, if those guys are ahead of Niku in the depth chart he should put two and two together and realize it's not going to happen for him in this team.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Considering how well he's played in the AHL in the past I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that his performance (or lack thereof) has absolutely no relevance to him getting called up or the minutes he gets while in the NHL. I don't think the Jets and/or Maurice have any plans on trusting him with actual NHL time outside of a massive injury crisis, seeing as they'd rather play Bitetto, Sbisa and Dahlström ahead of him. I mean, if those guys are ahead of Niku in the depth chart he should put two and two together and realize it's not going to happen for him in this team.

This is just the pure idiocy of Maurice at work.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's not entirely up to Maurice at this point. They acquired Bitetto, Dahlstrom and Sbisa to fill in for a bunch of injuries on D (Buff, Beaulieu, Niku, Poolman). Only Niku can be demoted to the AHL without waivers and without retaining significant salary. At this point, I think salary and cap considerations driven by Chevy and management are going to play a role in what happens with Niku and the D, particularly until the Buff situation is clarified. It's just a messed up season on D.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Gotta hope Niku is being held out for injury reasons because no one in their right mind has ****ing Anthony Bitetto over anyone.

Considering he is being scratched for injury reasons on the Moose, that's an okay assumption for now. Something tells me he's not a healthy scratch in the AHL.

Edit: Oops. Saw an old post and thought it was recent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad