Sami Lepisto

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
He was pretty good in the WJC. I have some questions:

1. Can he stand up to the rigors of the NHL?

2. How close to being ready is he?

3. Will he be more than just an offensive defenseman?

Has anyone seen him play very much?
If you were to use the Hocvkey's Future rating scale, where does he fall?

Thanks in adavance!

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Hey borro,

I've never seen Lepisto and know next to nothing about him. Realistically though, if he slipped that far in the draft I consider him a longshot to make the NHL. Wasn't he heavily scouted? I like the pick as a Caps fan because the word on the street is that he has skill and potential. And for 3rd (?) round pick that's all you can hope for.

The Caps picks I'm impressed by are Green and Bourque. I hear nothing but good things about both these guys since draft day. That'd be huge if they pan out. :cheers:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
JohnGalt said:
Hey borro,

I've never seen Lepisto and know next to nothing about him. Realistically though, if he slipped that far in the draft I consider him a longshot to make the NHL. Wasn't he heavily scouted? I like the pick as a Caps fan because the word on the street is that he has skill and potential. And for 3rd (?) round pick that's all you can hope for.

The Caps picks I'm impressed by are Green and Bourque. I hear nothing but good things about both these guys since draft day. That'd be huge if they pan out. :cheers:

John, maybe you don't know this, but he was selected OVER a guy like Dion Phaneuf as most valuable defenseman of the WJC tournament. Lepisto is a year older than most and that was a big reason why he dropped. His performance at the WJC is nothing short of stunning and makes me think he could be close to being NHL ready. He may prove to be the steal of the draft. This is not to say he is anywhere near as good as Phaneuf. It is VERY encouraging to hear he may be outplaying him. though!

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
borro said:
John, maybe you don't know this, but he was selected OVER a guy like Dion Phaneuf as most valuable defenseman of the WJC tournament.

Don't forget where those WJC's were held - Finland - and more than one person I spoke to thought there was a bit of homecooking with that selection. Also, the WJC's were not indicative of Lepisto's career. He really raised his level of play and whether or not it was a case of a guy going all out representing his country, in his country, is a valid concern.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Hey Borro,

I'd love to see Lepisto make it and it does sound as if he has a chance. Is this the guy Johansson was pushing for?

But I've learned to temper my expectations with prospects the hard way: Volchkov, Svejkovsky, Bulis, Baumgartner, Elomo, Kharlamov, Beech. I think the Caps scouting is 100 times better now that it was 10 years ago, so maybe...

May 1, 2003
Visit site
I am pretty high on Lepisto, ive only seen him play in the WJC and he looked awesome. I think if he were a year younger he would have been selected in the early 2nd round and maybe even a team would have taken a chance on him in the late first round. I think his upside is a 2nd or 3rd defenseman, but will most likely play the role as 4th defenseman.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
#2 said:
I am pretty high on Lepisto, ive only seen him play in the WJC and he looked awesome. I think if he were a year younger he would have been selected in the early 2nd round and maybe even a team would have taken a chance on him in the late first round. I think his upside is a 2nd or 3rd defenseman, but will most likely play the role as 4th defenseman.

I remember people nearly unanimously were picking Lepisto as OUR #1 (27th spot pick) in the mocks here on HF. I'm not saying anything different than you I think Chief. What I am saying is he appears to be a GREAT 3rd round pick. I was trying to get some feedback from someone who had actually seen him play. I haven't heard anyone say that Lepsito didn't deserve the award. If he raised his play enough to be a defensive MVP, then good training and coaching should be able to get him to raise his level of play to be a top notch prospect. The Caps need NHL ready defensemen. If Lepsito is ready sooner, that would be awesome.

John Galt-I believe Calle did have an impact on us selecting Lepisto. I imagine Hedman was the guy he was looking at. I bet he pushed for Fransson and Axelsson too. Prospects have no relation to other failed prospects. Would you also have lowered your expectations for Peter Bondra, a late round choice? Would you have picked Bryan Trottier in the second round? As much scouting as goes on, mistakes ARE made, both in OVERRATING talent AND underrating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia