Jun 26, 2015
Turris-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Drai-Yamo
Ennis-RNH-Archibald
Benson-Shore-Kassian

Nurse-Bear
Koekkoek-Barrie
Russell-Bouchard

now that you outlined it nicely for us...that lineup is abysmal. A couple of superstars and the rest are AHL players up front

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The issue with the first line is RNH and Kassian defers to McDavid too much. Every second they had the puck, they would pass it to him immediately. That's becoming too predictable for teams to read.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I did like how Tippet noticed that Turris was struggling and Puljujarvi was playing well and gave them a few shifts together.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I liked Jessies game last night, was great on the forecheck, disrupted and striped a few pucks, had a grade A chance and setup up another... probably the best forward outside of the Drai line... McDavids line needs to be better if Oilers are gonna win, they got caved by Horvats line

Yeah, if Pulj consistently plays like that all year, everybody should be very pleased.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Horvat neutralizes McDavid.
Anyone remember Steve Kasper?
I wouldn’t be surprised if Oilers go zero for Vancouver this season.
Mcdavid had literally 3-5 grade A chances. Hit the bar at the end of the game, should have had a penalty shot on his breakaway. And got robbed by Holtby on his other partial break.

If that’s Neutralizing I hope they do that more every game. Because I can guarantee he won’t have that many chances again and not score more.

Reactions: jeg and barry halls

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I wouldn't be concerned about their play being the first game and all.... But the issues are the same issues they had last year, and it looks the exact same. That is a bad sign.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
After sleeping on it and being much more sober this morning, I still want Khaira and Chiasson to never touch the ice with this team again.

everyone else I’ll give some leeway. The D is a bunch of guys playing over their head who outside Nurse and Bear have barely played together (I can’t remember if larsson played with Jones much last year).

Although I’m pretty disappointed in nuge and Kassian for coming out like that playing on the top line, but at least with nuge based on last year this game was an outlier.

Also I’m a big koskinen fan, and I think the forwards and D gave up way too many high quality chances, but it sure would be nice if he could have robbed one of those chances.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm tired of people blaming the players.

This team was not prepared to compete at all. No one knew their assignments, the systems, or where to be on the ice.

Everything I saw wrong with this game points back to one individual at fault.

if that was the case then the Oilers wouldn’t have scored a single goal and every player would have no clue of what to be doing, but really it was 4 or 5 players who played the worst games I have ever seen them play. If the issue was coaching or systems then every player would have looked horrible. The players on the ice need to be better. Bottom line.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The main problems were, and always have been, defense. There were some monumental screw-ups in front of Koskinen last night. But they are the same screw-ups that we've been seeing consistently ever since Sekera got Getzlafed in the playoffs. The Oilers could have used Nate Schmidt, sorry to say. (Unreal that he was acquired for a 6th round pick.)

This team will have to rely on outscoring their problems and stellar goaltending. We have to accept that the defense is what it always has been.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The issue with the first line is RNH and Kassian defers to McDavid too much. Every second they had the puck, they would pass it to him immediately. That's becoming too predictable for teams to read.

RNH not deferring was the issue last night.

He kept trying to carry the puck and losing it within two strides.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Total waste of a day. Barely able to stay motivated at a slow work shift and now this...

I got hammered watching it till 2AM here in NS and had to go to work this morning. What a waste of a good buzz on last night. HABS game was better

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Meh.

Nobody really looked ready. I'm not super concerned, but that was not great.

I like Kahun. Feels like only a matter of time until that line clicks, IMO.

Singh is pretty bad on play by play. Don't care for that at all. Just doesn't seem to have the voice for it or something. Felt very unnatural to me.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Exactly this. Nobody is saying he is to blame, but man it would be nice to have a goalie make a great save and bail us out. Defensively we are crap, and we don’t have a rock star goalie that can steal us games either. As you said perfectly, nobody is blaming Koskinen but he sure as hell didn’t win us the game either.

Agreed.
When is the last time we actually had a goalie that could steal a game for us? I remember Scrivens had that crazy night against San Jose but I think our last legit goalie was Roloson

Reactions: tardigrade81

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm tired of people blaming the players.

This team was not prepared to compete at all. No one knew their assignments, the systems, or where to be on the ice.

Everything I saw wrong with this game points back to one individual at fault.
The guy who ate the bat in China?

Reactions: nabob

Proko88

May 6, 2010
I wasn't a fan either, but to be fair he probably wasn't even expecting to be doing it. I assume Gene and Jack are out because of covid protocol, so they just needed to stick someone up there with Louie. Don't know if Michaels will be able to go tomorrow, but if not looking forward to Saturday. If anything at least he'll add some excitement to the broadcast lol
Jack is only doing the regional broadcasts

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kassian was fine, he did make the best pass of the game last night to Nurse.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
My takes:
Koskinen will have to steal some games to make this group work. He was just ok tonite.
Defense was rusty early but Nurse-Bear got the rust off. KK looked good next to Barrie but TB has work to do to be effective. Larsson-Jones we’re definitely 3rd pair and need to improve a lot.
When was the last time we scored two on clean point shoots?
The KYD line looked good and when Kahun finds his hands they will be even better.
The first line was the worst line. Lots of solo work but zero effective puck movement between them. They’re vets, it’ll improve.
We need a big body (Neal) at 3LW to work the boards with Turris and Pulj. This line is a work in progress
I want Ennis and Arch as 4th line energy wingers. At center,Haas Shore or McLeod will fill that role better than JJ.
PP was rusty. Will anyone play net front role if Barrie keeps hitting people in the head?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Well that sucked a big one.

Need to clean up the chinsy errors or we can forget about winning a game in this league. Just too many unforced errors, blown assignments, and too little attnetion to details. Too many times we failed to clear the zone or get the puck in deep.

My whipping boy for the night was Nuge. I've never seen him play so poorly. That has to be his worst game of his career.

That game was a textbook example of Nuge's "d" game.

Slow moving his feet, nonchalant with the puck, risky plays at both blue lines, passenger in the battles.

Reactions: harpoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad