Sam Reinhart

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So, with Larkin/Rasmussen/Veleno all under 22, we're gonna trade assets for Reinhart, even though were an obvious bottom 5 team heading into a draft loaded with elite centers.

Makes sense.

Reactions: KJoe88

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So, with Larkin/Rasmussen/Veleno all under 22, we're gonna trade assets for Reinhart, even though were an obvious bottom 5 team heading into a draft loaded with elite centers.

Makes sense.
None of those 3 are proven legit Centers in the NHL 2/3 never even played an NHL game. Reinhart would instantly improve our offence. Make sense now?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
None of those 3 are proven legit Centers in the NHL 2/3 never even played an NHL game. Reinhart would instantly improve our offence. Make sense now?

Are you saying that Larkin is not a legit center while Reinhart is a legit center? I want to make sure I understand your stance before I comment.

Reactions: WingsMJN2965

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Larkin isn't proven so you want to trade assets for Reinhart, who Larkin has performed better than thus far. :laugh:
Read what I said. Larkin isn’t proven at Center. And when was Larkin offered in any trade ideas? Making more stuff up? Funny how you ignored Rasmussen and Veleno argument too...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Are you saying that Larkin is not a legit center while Reinhart is a legit center? I want to make sure I understand your stance before I comment.
His argument was we don’t need Reinhart because we have Larkin, Rasmussen and Veleno. Larkin isn’t a proven Center and the other two haven’t played a game in the nhl. Didn’t say Reinhart is better but it’s debatable he could potentially be a No.1 or 2 Center here. Got it now?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Read what I said. Larkin isn’t proven at Center. And when was Larkin offered in any trade ideas? Making more stuff up? Funny how you ignored Rasmussen and Veleno argument too...

How about you read. I said "Trade assets" not "Trade Larkin". Larkin was brought up because you made the implication that he's not proven while advocating a trade for Reinhart, who Larkin has clearly outperformed since they came into the league.

Rasmussen and Veleno were brought up as depth. I guess I figured you'd catch onto the idea that with those two in the fold, backing Larkin and a pretty solid chance at a lottery level center in 2019, we have absolutely no need for Reinhart, but alas, I overestimated you.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
His argument was we don’t need Reinhart because we have Larkin, Rasmussen and Veleno. Larkin isn’t a proven Center and the other two haven’t played a game in the nhl. Didn’t say Reinhart is better but it’s debatable he could potentially be a No.1 or 2 Center here. Got it now?

No need for the angry response, I was simply asking for clarification.

Reactions: WingsMJN2965

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
How about you read. I said "Trade assets" not "Trade Larkin". Larkin was brought up because you made the implication that he's not proven while advocating a trade for Reinhart, who Larkin has clearly outperformed since they came into the league.

Rasmussen and Veleno were brought up as depth. I guess I figured you'd catch onto the idea that with those two in the fold, backing Larkin and a pretty solid chance at a lottery level center in 2019, we have absolutely no need for Reinhart, but alas, I overestimated you.
The Wings need a lottery defenceman over another Center only Hughes would get drafted in the lottery going for BPA. Third time saying the Wings don’t have any Number one C’s they only have hypothetical “depth”. Reinhart if not the best C would definitely be number two in Detroit. And would be one of our best goal scorers. As for “assets” most of you aren’t that fond of AA/ Svechnikov or Nyquist but now they are untouchable?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The Wings need a lottery defenceman over another Center only Hughes would get drafted in the lottery going for BPA. Third time saying the Wings don’t have any Number one C’s they only have hypothetical “depth”. Reinhart if not the best C would definitely be number two in Detroit. And would be one of our best goal scorers. As for “assets” most of you aren’t that fond of AA/ Svechnikov or Nyquist but now they are untouchable?

Unfortunately for Detroit, 2019's closest thing to a lottery defender are Byram or Broberg, and many don't even consider them Top 5.

Furthermore, if you don't consider Larkin a #1C (Which is fine) then Reinhart certainly isn't. As for his goal scoring/point totals, he's incredibly mediocre 5 on 5. I suppose you could just as easily see that as a compliment to his power play production, but seeing as how 80% of the game isn't played on the man advantage, I'd rather have 5 on 5 production. Realistically, while I'd love a lottery level defender, chances are Detroit's ending up with a center if they get a lotto pick.

And nobody said don't trade AA, Svech, or Nyquist. The point was, don't trade him for shit we already have.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Terrible, terrible idea.

And for the record, I love Nyquist (always thought highly of him) and believe we should keep him. He’d be a valuable depth player by the time we’re good.

I also think he’s been a victim of unfortunate timing. If our team was good he’d be a 50P+ winger. I’d rather keep him over Reinhart

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

It is precisely the opposite. They are so available that Buffalo wouldn't give you Sam Reinhart for them. Nyquist is a pending UFA who is alright. AA will never be more than a throw-in in a deal until he proves that he's not going to slough off in the middle of the year. If he's gonna be a guy that a team has to prod to actually do his damn job by healthy scratching him and the like... they're not going to give you any kind of prime asset. And if Reinhart becomes the best center on Detroit (aka better/more proven than Larkin... which he isn't btw), why would Buffalo give him up for a pending UFA wing who is probably going to want a raise from 4.75M and an erstwhile C/W combo making 3M who there are still very real questions about his work ethic?.

E: In the leadup to Larkin signing his 5x6.1M contract, would you have accepted Kyle Palmieri and Miles Wood for him? I mean, he was unsigned, right? Should be easy to acquire.

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Skipping over the offer sheet idea (because that wont work)..

I do imagine the cost to acquire S. Reinhart by trade will be a little high. I would prefer to stick with the assets we have and keep rebuilding.

Now if we could flip Buf young-ish veterans for reinhart... thats a diff story.

AA + Nyquist + 3rd name/draft pick... That I would do (but who wouldnt) and Buff would/should not accept a deal like that...

So id say this idea is very unlikely to happen either in the fantasy world or real world.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We will be set at forward when we get Hughes in next summer's draft. The downside is we still have the absolute worst defense in the league. Not sure how you actually pull out of a rebuild with no clear path to upgrading the defense. At any rate Reinhart doesn't really address needs and will come at a steep price. We are flat out awful, probably the worst team in the league. This is not the time to pay a premium for a guy who really isn't going to move the needle in terms of pulling out of the depths of how awful this franchise is right now. We have ZERO elite players. There's no way Reinhart makes any impact at all.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

If we get Hughes and slot all those guys down one spot that's a good, young team right down the middle. I still have no idea if Rasmussen can play center at the NHL level but even if he's a Paul Gaustad level 4C that's not bad. I feel confident Veleno could hack it as a 3C. Larkin could be a very solid 2C. Reinhart is a luxury we absolutely cannot afford. If we never pull out of our funk it will be because Holland has done absolutely nothing to replace Chelios, Rafalski, Schneider, Lidstrom and Kronwall. If we are going to pay a king's ransom for anything, it should be an elite d-man. Those guys are almost never available and when they are Holland has not been willing to pay the price.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Stop this Hughes crap. We will get a quality player, but it's still only 18.5% chance at maximum to get the 1st overall.
Exactly we have an OVER 80% chance we ARENT getting Hughes. Yet everyone is so closed minded to even considering acquiring a 22 yr old right handed C that scored more goals than anyone on our entire team.....

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Did Reinhart play C for Buffalo last season? I thought he was a RW and his face-off numbers don't look great, but he is listed as a C everywhere online.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Skipping over the offer sheet idea (because that wont work)..

I do imagine the cost to acquire S. Reinhart by trade will be a little high. I would prefer to stick with the assets we have and keep rebuilding.

Now if we could flip Buf young-ish veterans for reinhart... thats a diff story.

AA + Nyquist + 3rd name/draft pick... That I would do (but who wouldnt) and Buff would/should not accept a deal like that...

So id say this idea is very unlikely to happen either in the fantasy world or real world.
Buffalo gave up less for Skinner look how Peter C gets fleeced every 6 months you never know unless you try. In negotiations you don’t START with your best offer.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Exactly we have an OVER 80% chance we ARENT getting Hughes. Yet everyone is so closed minded to even considering acquiring a 22 yr old right handed C that scored more goals than anyone on our entire team.....
Yes, closed minded for a few very good reasons:
  1. No one signs players to offer sheets. It's extremely rare.
  2. Ken Holland would never do such a thing. He didn't try to sign Shea Weber to an offer sheet, he tried to trade for him.
  3. We would lose what is likely to be the best odds to draft the top pick in the 2019 draft.
  4. We'd also lose 2nd and 3rd round picks which would be beneficial in building out our team as we try to rebuild.

This is simply a bad idea. We are a very, very bad franchise right now. What we need is cheap, young elite talent. Reinhart is not cheap and the cost to acquire him would be steep.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Just because we don't get Hughes doesn't mean we don't get a fabulous C. The majority are close-minded as you say because Reinhart is, at best, a side-grade to Larkin at the top. If you think that he's on the same level as Larkin, you have to ask yourself why Buffalo would give up a 22 y.o C with that caliber of talent. and whether you'd take Kyle Palmieri (or equivalent) and Miles Wood (or equivalent) for Larkin. I bet you wouldn't.

There is literally no reason why Buffalo should accept Nyquist + AA for him. None. They don't *need* Nyquist bad enough because they already traded for Skinner and AA isn't an adequate C replacement in the short or long term for Reinhart for them. Buffalo is giving up the highest value player in the deal and that would not be enough value for him and it makes zero sense for Detroit to add anything more than that for a guy who doesn't actually improve them all that much.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Just rebuild. And if we're going after anything, it should be d-men. Larkin, Veleno, Rasmussen.. possibly among the top odds for Hughes.. our center depth could shape up just fine soon enough. On defense things are much more dicey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Did Reinhart play C for Buffalo last season? I thought he was a RW and his face-off numbers don't look great, but he is listed as a C everywhere online.

I don't think he played much center the past couple of years, especially going by his faceoff numbers. He took 210 faceoffs two years ago, and only 140 last season. If he was playing any real time in the middle, those numbers would be significantly higher.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I don't think he played much center the past couple of years, especially going by his faceoff numbers. He took 210 faceoffs two years ago, and only 140 last season. If he was playing any real time in the middle, those numbers would be significantly higher.

For sure, I think if we're going to give up assets to go after somebody to play center I'd want more of a pure centerman with better faceoff numbers.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->