Value of: Sam Reinhart

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
What would Carolina have to add to Faulk for Reinhart?
A trade like that wouldn't fit the Sabres needs, nor timeline.
Take Reinhart off the Sabres, and RW become their most pressing need.
The only type of move that would make sense would be if some team desperate for a center over valued Reinhart's center flexibility and offered up a package to upgrade at center that included a middle 6 center and a top 6 RW.
Even then, the Sabres have no motivation to trade Sam Reinhart.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If Sabres could get the right RHD for Reinhart you make that deal every time. Sabres acquired Sheary & Skinner for next to nothing... Not comparing the players directly but wingers are so easy to trade for.

Absolutely. Contracts and age also makes a difference as well.

I suggested Timmins - 20 years old which would help solidify their RHD into the next decade. He is a solid partner for Dahlin as well.

It doesn’t matter, AVs would get their RW in the 2019 Draft and keep Timmins.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
BUF fans are overestimating what Reinhart is worth, just like they did with ROR.

He was the first forward taken in a draft after a tank year and the GM at the time was a bullshit artist who spent a ton of time talking him up.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
BUF fans are overestimating what Reinhart is worth, just like they did with ROR.

Key difference: there's 0 indication Reinhart is "available" and there's absolutely no reason he should be. He's part of our young core, he's Eichel's best friend on the team, he's by far our best winger and (with ROR gone) best defensive forward, and he's steadily improved year over year. The cost to get a player a team is interested in trading and the cost to get one it isn't are vastly different.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If Sabres could get the right RHD for Reinhart you make that deal every time. Sabres acquired Sheary & Skinner for next to nothing... Not comparing the players directly but wingers are so easy to trade for.
not 22 year old wingers..especially a guy who could make transition to center smoothly considering he has a lot of experience at it and why he can play well in both ends. He's not your typically offensive dynamo only winger.

john716

Mar 22, 2013
Buffalo,New York
Key difference: there's 0 indication Reinhart is "available" and there's absolutely no reason he should be. He's part of our young core, he's Eichel's best friend on the team, he's by far our best winger and (with ROR gone) best defensive forward, and he's steadily improved year over year. The cost to get a player a team is interested in trading and the cost to get one it isn't are vastly different.

I think your right. I highly doubt Reinhart is available. His presence in front of the net is incredible. He takes a beating every game. A lot of Sabres fans were saying he couldn’t play without Jack to help him. He proved a lot of people wrong as he found his game. Also I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaching/system changes hurt him from year to year. He will be fine and he is not going anywhere

john716

Mar 22, 2013
Buffalo,New York
Fair enough.
I think GMs will value him at best as a 2W with 2C upside.
Still high value

I don’t value him as a Center anymore. He plays his best hockey at RW. In front of the net ready for deflections and rebounds with the quick I.Q to make a pass to an open player. He has definitely gotten tough the last couple years as he takes a beating in front of the net. His battles in the corners are strong as well.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Reinhart is a stud. His second half reminds me of how Schiefele progressed. Had a great 2nd half in 15-16 and broke out from there.

The Scheifele compare is pretty interesting.... one could argue that the 60 point season which Scheifele had before getting his long term deal... is actually the season which Reinhart is headed in to. And their performance trends align fairly well....

They both went back to juniors in their 1st post draft season.

In their 2nd post draft season... Reinhart was in the NHL (42 in 79/0.53 per), while Scheifele was back to juniors.

3rd post draft year
Scheifele: 34 in 63 : 0.54 pts per game
Reinhart: 47 in 79: 0.59 pts per game

4th post draft year
Scheifele: 49 in 82 : 0.60 pts per game
Reinhart: 50 in 82 : 0.61 pts per game

We talk a lot about Reinhart's development in the 2nd half of this season (4th post draft year).

Here's a breakdown of Scheifele's 4th post draft year
1st 40 games: 19 points
Next 42 games: 30 points

Low and behold, projecting on that 2nd half of his 4th post draft year... Scheifele was on a near 60 point pace.... and what did he do in his next season? That's right... posted his first 60+ point season, followed by his first 80 point season the following year

His 2nd half in that 4th post draft season... is very similar to what some of us point to with regards to Reinhart and the growth he showed.

Reinhart's 4th post draft year:
1st 40 games: 13 points
Next 42 games: 37 points

I feel pretty comfortable with Reinhart's development and trajectory (I always have). Not everyone comes in to the league a star... some guys, like Reinhart, follow a path like Scheifele's... developing their game, a little slower, but methodically.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
not 22 year old wingers..especially a guy who could make transition to center smoothly considering he has a lot of experience at it and why he can play well in both ends. He's not your typically offensive dynamo only winger.

I think the time may have passed on him being a legit top 6 C. He's a valuable player but no more so than a nice complimentary piece.

I used Skinner/Sheary as recent examples of top 6 winger value - I clearly wasn't comparing them as players.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I would agree in the sense that I think if Reinhart were moved, he'd get an underwhelming return. However, that's less of an indictment on Reinhart... and more the fact it's a buyers market.

Which is why they just shouldn't move him. If management wanted a culture change, they got it with all the FA's leaving, and moving ROR, and all the new guys coming in. No reason to sell a good young player like Reinhart at a loss at this point.

Reactions: Gainesvillain

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
We have Hanifin now. Also, I wouldn't do it.
I realize that, I was just asking because I haven't really paid attention to how he has been doing. Being drafted where he was I'm just surprised he's being offered up in trade on here and irl. Has he not been what was expected?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I realize that, I was just asking because I haven't really paid attention to how he has been doing. Being drafted where he was I'm just surprised he's being offered up in trade on here and irl. Has he not been what was expected?

Beats me, I haven't watched much of him (that'll change this year) but he seems like a pretty great skater and was an All-Star at age 21 so I'm optimistic.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
There is literally a way. All Hously has to do is slot Berglund in the 2c spot. Middlestat may end up there. But to start the season, I think Berglund will be there.
Imagine going from Ror as your 2c to Berglund as your 2c. You guys would have been a good team this year if you had kept him

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Imagine going from Ror as your 2c to Berglund as your 2c. You guys would have been a good team this year if you had kept him
No we wouldn’t have. We had zero depth and now it’s better than it was. ROR wasn’t going to make or break this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->