Confirmed with Link: Sam Reinhart wins inaugural Rick Martin Memorial Award for 2020-21 season

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Nice touch.

Would have said Lazar before but maybe Reinhart or Okposo

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

You can’t troll Ralph - the guy walked away with like $12M.

Do people really think he hates Skinner just because he sat him for three games? So silly. I’m sure Ralph wants the best for Skinner...it’s not like the new coach is giving him many more shifts per game.

Reactions: jc17

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Despite the cynical, cheap shot, derogatory, smart ass, sarcastic and yes, humorous responses that characterize most of the responses above, I'm glad that Martin is being recognized. Personally, I would have preferred that "the Rico" would have been awarded to the Sabre who led the team in goals for the season - akin the "the Rocket" award at the league level. After all, Martin still ranks number 11 in all time goals per game.
  • At 0.561 goals per game, he's ahead of players like Phil Esposito, Marcel Dionne, Rocket Richard, Steven Stamkos, Guy Lafleur, Pat Lafontaine, and Eric Lindros.
  • BTW, he happens to be number 48 all time in points per game at 1.023
  • Personally, I think he deserves to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame with those numbers.
Even though it's not an award for goals, I'm glad to see the recognition.

Anyways, it's not that I don't understand the cynicism or that it's not deserved. Just wish in this case it did not come at the expense of an all time great Buffalo Sabre.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Personally, I would have preferred that "the Rico" would have been awarded to the Sabre who led the team in goals for the season - akin the "the Rocket" award at the league level. After all, Martin still ranks number 11 in all time goals per game.

To give a team “rocket” award to someone who scores under 20 goals would look really bad, it seems like a participation trophy. Embarrassing for such a low-scoring team to do that.

Plus, a focus on just individual goal scoring is exactly what this team is trying to get away from.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
You can’t troll Ralph - the guy walked away with like $12M.

Do people really think he hates Skinner just because he sat him for three games? So silly. I’m sure Ralph wants the best for Skinner...it’s not like the new coach is giving him many more shifts per game.

no people think Krueger put skinner in the doghouse because he didn’t fit krueger’s scheme based on who skinner played with, kreuger’s comments, and because it was super obvious.

Krueger is a great example of a coach that wants players to fit to his scheme, rather than creating a scheme that best fits the players. Skinner is the antithesis of what Krueger wanted from players, and he paid the price.

so no, not hatred. But sheer stubbornness

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
To give a team “rocket” award to someone who scores under 20 goals would look really bad, it seems like a participation trophy. Embarrassing for such a low-scoring team to do that.

Plus, a focus on just individual goal scoring is exactly what this team is trying to get away from.

Picking a pandemic year with a shortened season and pandemic related issues and obstacles is not the best example to put forth as to why to not recognize a goal scoring leader. Eichel had 36 last year in a shortened season. Skinner had 40 the year before.
Eichel and Sam had 25 the year prior. Evander 28 the year before that.

Can't say I agree that we don't want to place value on goal scoring but whatever.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I’m guessing there is data validation on the phone number field as it sure doesn’t like any combination of putting in my NZ phone number haha

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If I was voting seriously I’d vote for Reinhart because he’s really good and still under appreciated by fans and management.

but I’m voting for Ristolainen because he stinks and it never changes.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Despite the cynical, cheap shot, derogatory, smart ass, sarcastic and yes, humorous responses that characterize most of the responses above, I'm glad that Martin is being recognized. Personally, I would have preferred that "the Rico" would have been awarded to the Sabre who led the team in goals for the season - akin the "the Rocket" award at the league level. After all, Martin still ranks number 11 in all time goals per game.
  • At 0.561 goals per game, he's ahead of players like Phil Esposito, Marcel Dionne, Rocket Richard, Steven Stamkos, Guy Lafleur, Pat Lafontaine, and Eric Lindros.
  • BTW, he happens to be number 48 all time in points per game at 1.023
  • Personally, I think he deserves to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame with those numbers.
Even though it's not an award for goals, I'm glad to see the recognition.

Anyways, it's not that I don't understand the cynicism or that it's not deserved. Just wish in this case it did not come at the expense of an all time great Buffalo Sabre.

Very cool stats.. Didnt know he wasnt in the hall.. Never knew who to pick as my favorite player , him or gil seeing them from the oranges as a kid.. Those numbers tell me Rick was better than most of the league. i always felt those two were better than anyone I'd seen the way they played Lafleur , Reggie Leach.. Dionne impressed ...Later, I remember hearing Gilbert was one of Gretzkys favorites as we never quite received our due around the league, in the press at least... thanks..

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
If I was voting seriously I’d vote for Reinhart because he’s really good and still under appreciated by fans and management.

but I’m voting for Ristolainen because he stinks and it never changes.[/QUOT

Maybe a chance to give Jack the benefit of the doubt playing thru injury with using it like Rick did.. Seeing Casey and Cozens. I can't imagine how dominate and skilled we could be .. Alot like 75.. I'd givw Sam the Robert award for possibly being a key cog the was under appreciated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->