Player Discussion Sam Reinhart: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
He is the only young player I never see doing any work in the offseason on social media. He did somehow graduate from USC without anyone knowing though, so I'm sure he is working.

That’s a positive IMO
He spends his down time doing covert ops helping to overthrow non-democratic regimes. That, and making macrame plant hangers for elder-care facilities. Hence, no photos.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
His physical development from NHL year 2 to year 3 was by far the most noticeable and impactful.
I'm not sure. I think physically he still is at his 2015 self. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention. I don't think there is anyway to compare.

I do believe he works hard in the offseason, no reason for me to believe he doesn't.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Two years ago? Did you enter a time warp or something?

Nah. He is just factually saying that Eichel had only a 60 game sample or so of just under ppg production by Eichel before getting his 10 a year deal.

His previous season, he out scored Reinhart by only 1 goal, and 13 points? I think on the assists.

And Reinhart just had a just under ppg run for 40 games.

Not an exact comparison, but close enough to be understood for what he is saying.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Nah. He is just factually saying that Eichel had only a 60 game sample or so of just under ppg production by Eichel before getting his 10 a year deal.

His previous season, he out scored Reinhart by only 1 goal, and 13 points? I think on the assists.

And Reinhart just had a just under ppg run for 40 games.

Not an exact comparison, but close enough to be understood for what he is saying.
He signed his deal last year, not two years ago.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I imagine Sam wants to ride miniature ponies with Jack for the next 8 years. I also imagine the team still remembers Cody Hodgson. Not comparing the players, but js the organization has to still taste some of these bad contracts.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
A travesty? Really? This sort of hyperbole, which I half think sometimes is mostly designed to get a reaction, is what throws these discussions off the rails.

Bogosian getting 5+ for a handful of games might be a travesty.

The corpse of Moulson and the zombie remains of Poms getting millions might be a travesty.

A young inarguably talented player under team control for several reasons whose overall production each season has been consistent and shown development, who has positional and role flexibility, who has a compelling track record of facilitating the talented players he plays with (you know, our key players)

Let's say for the sake of conversation he gets a deal in which you can make a credible argument he is a million overpaid, or *clutches pearls* a million and a half overpaid. That's a travesty?!?!

Give me a freaking break.

Was Hogdson's contract a travesty? Think so. I am not saying Reinhart is Hodgson but I am saying he got a big payout for the same situation.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
About as many good games as Eichel had two years ago and he got $10 Million.
Thats just a lie. Eichel didn't have 40 games where he was invisible for the first half of the season before he signed the contract. I mean its not even close to being the same. Eichel averaged .93 points and Reinhart .60 not even close so I am not sure what you are watching.

Reactions: Icicle

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I imagine Sam wants to ride miniature ponies with Jack for the next 8 years. I also imagine the team still remembers Cody Hodgson. Not comparing the players, but js the organization has to still taste some of these bad contracts.
Cody Hodgson's disease hurt him. I saw that Stimson article and he completely ignored Hodgson having malignant hypothermia which is a genetic disorder.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A travesty? Really? This sort of hyperbole, which I half think sometimes is mostly designed to get a reaction, is what throws these discussions off the rails.

Bogosian getting 5+ for a handful of games might be a travesty.

The corpse of Moulson and the zombie remains of Poms getting millions might be a travesty.

A young inarguably talented player under team control for several reasons whose overall production each season has been consistent and shown development, who has positional and role flexibility, who has a compelling track record of facilitating the talented players he plays with (you know, our key players)

Let's say for the sake of conversation he gets a deal in which you can make a credible argument he is a million overpaid, or *clutches pearls* a million and a half overpaid. That's a travesty?!?!

Give me a freaking break.

Agreed. Its pretty funny to see some of the posters who liked your post in light of their stances on Jack's deal.

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I'm not sure. I think physically he still is at his 2015 self. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention. I don't think there is anyway to compare.

I do believe he works hard in the offseason, no reason for me to believe he doesn't.
Sam was significantly stronger this year than last. Harder on the puck, harder to knock off the puck, much stronger on his skates, and started to win a lot of board battles. He finally looked like a man out there and not a kid being pushed around, and with that came confidence which was the primary ingredient to his great second half.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Re: Reinhart's strength -- I actually remember him smoking someone along the boards. Can't recall exactly who or from what team, but it definitely happened. He's quite dynamic along the boards as far as positioning himself to shield the puck or quickly flipping it to the open man. He still has the potential to justify his draft position which is one of the reasons he gets underrated from what I've noticed.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
He did somehow graduate from USC without anyone knowing though, so I'm sure he is working.

Did he graduate from USC? I thought I read that the picture of him at commencement was actually taken at his friend's graduation from USC. It would be pretty hard, I think, to get a degree in the off-season and in secret.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not what I said though you are moving the goal posts. We are talking about Reinhart getting 6m for 40 games but thats ok if you don't get the difference.

No we're talking about Reinhart getting $6 million for the 200+ games he has played and the potential of where he can go going forward. The 40 games is the hypberbolic number that some anti-Reinhart (let's be honest here) posters want to say he "produced" in one year, because apparently one year makes a contract.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Cody Hodgson's disease hurt him. I saw that Stimson article and he completely ignored Hodgson having malignant hypothermia which is a genetic disorder.

Having a life-threatening disorder that takes away one's ability to play the game doesn't seem all that similar situationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->