Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Reinhart will get 7 + next contract if he repeats this year. If he gets sub 60 points next season then he is not getting that.

Say Reinhart does get another 65-70 point season and gets 7 per, then essentially you are getting Reinhart for 10 years/63.3 mil from 2018-2028. It would not have been prudent to give 6+ per for a guy who hadn't surpassed 50 points yet. I was on board with offering 5-5.5 x 8 last summer. I am still happy with the bridge because he still needs to show more to deserve star player $$. He still likely does not surpass 25 goals this year, its just his assist total went up thanks to the Leagues 2nd highest goal scorer and a franchise 90 point center. Very good player having a career year. Lets hope he does it again next year. By the time he does need a new deal, Poms, Moulson, Bogo, Scandella, Sobotka and Bealieu all will be off the books. Still happy with the bridge.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Reinhart will get 7 + next contract if he repeats this year. If he gets sub 60 points next season then he is not getting that.

Say Reinhart does get another 65-70 point season and gets 7 per, then essentially you are getting Reinhart for 10 years/63.3 mil from 2018-2028. It would not have been prudent to give 6+ per for a guy who hadn't surpassed 50 points yet. I was on board with offering 5-5.5 x 8 last summer. I am still happy with the bridge because he still needs to show more to deserve star player $$. He still likely does not surpass 25 goals this year, its just his assist total went up thanks to the Leagues 2nd highest goal scorer and a franchise 90 point center. Very good player having a career year. Lets hope he does it again next year. By the time he does need a new deal, Poms, Moulson, Bogo, Scandella, Sobotka and Bealieu all will be off the books. Still happy with the bridge.

Speaking of prudence

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Vegas has just signed William Karlsson to an 8 year contract at a shade under $6M AAV. Sam Reinhart a comparable player will get $7.5M or hell $8M AAV for less years.

He is a TERRIBLE general manager. Among the worst.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The number reported the Reinhart camp was looking for last summer was $5.75M on a longer deal. Term was never reported, could have been 5 years could have been 8. Another 'L' for Botterill.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Vegas has just signed William Karlsson to an 8 year contract at a shade under $6M AAV. Sam Reinhart a comparable player will get $7.5M or hell $8M AAV for less years.

He is a TERRIBLE general manager. Among the worst.
This extension will be Karlsson’s 4th contract after taking a 1 year deal last summer. That was after a 40g 78pt season. Vegas gambled as much, if not more so, than we did.

As an aside, why will Sam get less years?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This extension will be Karlsson’s 4th contract after taking a 1 year deal last summer. That was after a 40g 78pt season. Vegas gambled as much, if not more so, than we did.

They could afford the gamble because their roster and prospect pool are so good that in a worst case scenario where they have to let him go it wouldn't completely destroy them. We have a roster that is only ahead of Ottawa and a mediocre at best prospect pool.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Sam's choice, he's a confident guy and will want to get to UFA as soon as possible unless the Sabres make it financially less important.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
The number reported the Reinhart camp was looking for last summer was $5.75M on a longer deal. Term was never reported, could have been 5 years could have been 8. Another 'L' for Botterill.

That would have been horrible to give Reinhart that much seeing what Karlsson just signed for.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Reinhart is 3 years younger and has produced more in the same number of years in the NHL. Karlsson had one outlier year and Vegas refused to pay him going forward on the basis of that one year. I think $7M if Sam has another good year is perfectly fine. On a slightly different note I would rather pay a guy we know with a history of consistency and steady development than throw money at other team's players when the team that had him won't.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sam's choice, he's a confident guy and will want to get to UFA as soon as possible unless the Sabres make it financially less important.

You started by arguing Sam’s side offered 8yrs 5.75 last Sept. Why would they? The far more likely scenario (if a long term 8yr x 5.75mil offer is true) is that management offered that.

Now you think less than a year later they’re going to ask for 4yrs at 7.5-8mil per? All to get out of here in free agency as soon as possible? What leverage would they even have force such a contract? If the entire contract is RFA years, he won’t be getting 7-8mil per. If its 7+ years then he will.

I highly doubt Sam turns down an 8yr deal if the money per season is right.

The most likely scenario last offseason is Botts wouldn’t meet whatever AAV number Sam’s camp had in mind for an 8yr deal. I highly doubt that number was 5.75mil per. Sam bet on himself and took a 2 year bridge.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They could afford the gamble because their roster and prospect pool are so good that in a worst case scenario where they have to let him go it wouldn't completely destroy them. We have a roster that is only ahead of Ottawa and a mediocre at best prospect pool.
They were willing to gamble because that year was such an outlier for Karlsson. In the 183gms prior to the big season he had 18g 32a 50pts. Karlsson was also in the 2nd year of a 2yr bridge when he had that breakout.

Sam’s development is light years ahead of where Karlsson was at similar moments.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
You started by arguing Sam’s side offered 8yrs 5.75 last Sept. Why would they? The far more likely scenario (if a long term 8yr x 5.75mil offer is true) is that management offered that.

I didn't say that - 'Term was never reported, could have been 5 years could have been 8.' Anybody's guess as to how many years Reinhart was willing to commit for at $5.75M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad